Cooked Food Is Economical And Healthier

Discussion in Pets started by Corzhens • Jul 25, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is not to smear dog food in cans. But our logic is this - what happens when canned dog food is not available? There was a time when a certain dog food brand was recalled in the market.

Well, we have decided to prepare cooked food for our dogs instead of dog food to assure us that what we feed our dogs is food with fresh ingredients and not processed. Besides, cooked food is much cheaper than processed dog food. The usual fare of our dogs are boiled fish, chicken, pork and sometimes beef. Occasionally we give them fried chicken drumstick, fish fillet or pork. Take note that we remove the bones of fish and meat.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Store bought pet food is marketed as the "best," it's got all nutrients you pets need, etc, etc. Many pet owners believe this which is why they don't make food for their pets themselves. For me though I usually make most of the foods my pets eat. I do supplement it with some store bought pet food but since I prepare most of the food they eat myself, it saves me a lot of money.

3. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I personally think that the best food your dogs can eat is the one they sell at stores, as Denis said, that kind of food has everything our dogs need to grow up healthy and happy as it is supposed to be, I also think cooked food might be good but it all depends on what kind of food you give your dogs and all that kind of things we got to figure out, you can not just give your dogs some bad quality food or anything like that, as our dogs they deserve the best and I definitely prefer the normal dog's food.

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like @Denis Hard@Denis Hard , I also make most of the food that our dogs eat, although we always have dry dog food out along with water; so they can have a snack anytime that they want something to eat.
    Our dogs mostly eat some of the same food that we are eating, and they enjoy sharing meals of whatever we made for dinner.
    Dog food is a relatively new thing, considering that they have only had manufactured dog food for less than 100 years out of all of the thousand of years of life on earth, when dogs ate whatever scraps they found , or what people fed them.
    Even the dog food that we buy is usually made from scraps left over from food manufacturing by companies who make human food products. Purina is part of the Ralston/Purina company, which made breakfast foods long before they started using the leftover grain for making dog and cat food.

5. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Cooked food is quite economical as compared to store bought bought food since you get more food at the same price. Its also a good practice to give your dog pets heated leftovers but without spices. This will make sure that the animals get a balanced diet and also minimizes wastage. Its also a good practice to give them bones acquired from butcheries which can be given for free or at a heavily discounted price.

6. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I really have no doubt that this is probably the preferred method to use, but I just know that the time it takes to do this is really something that we do not have that often. It is just easier and in the routine to go buy the food at the store, and to this point all my little friends have been happy and healthy, so I figure if it is still working there is not really a big reason to try and fix it. Interesting stuff, though, and thanks for sharing.

7. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    My dog is happy with canned food but loves me to cook for her also. Any kind of protein seems to be her favorite. Doesn't matter if it is freezer burned or not, she loves it all. Anytime we have steaks, hamburgers, chicken, etc. for supper, I always save her part of my meat. That way I take in less calories and I have a very happy dog.

8. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    I've had to cook for my dogs on numerous occasions. If they are not well for any reason, or just off their food, I boil a chicken in the biggest pan I have. I actually bought this very large pan especially for them. Once I have the chicken stock, I add rice and vegetables and take the flesh off of the chicken. I mix it all up with the rice and vegetables and give it to them when it is cold. If they are unwell, this is very light on the stomach and they love the taste of it.

9. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to choose between home made dog food versus ready made dog food, I will always choose home made dog food. This saves money as well as promotes dog health. You don't know what's exactly in canned dog food, however, when you prepare dog food in home you know what you are putting in.

10. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you Vinaya, It does save money to cook the food yourself. The point with myself is that dried food and wet food out of a tin is easy and quick. I can't have the dogs eat hot food in case they burn themselves so I have to wait for the food to cool down. Cooking a large quantity means that it takes up room in the fridge as well which I can do without.

11. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with the economical part. But, I have to differ with the healthier part. I think Royal Canin or other companies produce high quality dog food. You'll feel the difference in the dog's fur, stamina, etc. within days. That just doesn't happen with regular food.

12. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    A perk for cooking food is that you avoid putting at the risk of eating some kind of sneaky undesirable ingredient when purchasing it at a restaurant or fast food chains.

13. cardinals27

cardinals27New Member

Threads:
    I really hate feeding my dog canned food, although he hates it too and doesn't like to eat it. When you cook food for your dog it is much healthier and I think they enjoy it a lot more. It can also be cheap too. My dog will eat anything I cook so if I have left over meat he loves it. Also salmon skin is something he enjoys and I don't mind giving it to him because it's something I won't eat. When it's grilled it comes off really crispy and I know it doesn't sound good but my dog loves it.