Cooking at home vs eating out.

Discussion in Food & Drink started by jilliansorenson • May 20, 2013.

1. jilliansorenson

jilliansorensonNew Member

Threads:
    As a general rule, I feel cooking at home usually tastes better and costs less than going out to a restaurant. However, that breaks down if you go to fast food restaurants which are often cheaper if you order off a dollar menu than even cooking at home. I am single, so it's sometimes not practical for me to cook at home because I'm just feeding myself, and if there are leftovers I'll be eating them for a long time. Fast food of course is not healthy for the most part, but it sure is easy and cheap. It's also just nice to go to restaurants and have someone do all the work for you. What do you think, cooking at home, restaurant, or fast food for everyday eating? Side note: here's my delicious recipe for chicken divan: 1 family size can of Cream of Chicken soup, 4 cooked chicken breasts, bag of broccoli florets, shredded cheddar cheese (I like Tillamook). Place broccoli florets on bottom of glass baking dish (9X12), cover with cream of chicken soup, shred chicken breasts into strips and place on top, cover with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake in oven at 400 degrees until soup starts bubbling.

2. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I would say that cooking at home is the best solution, but after some years of only doing that, it's starts to wear you out. You need a balance, maybe trying out new foods when going out, during weekends or when you have free time. Making meals at home is tiresome, specially when you are all alone.

3. ReishiSpore

ReishiSporeMember

Threads:
    I prefer to cook at home, because I know what is going in to the food I make, and I know how I like it also. Eating out is a good idea though now and then, but I don't do this often due to the cost. There are some great places to eat out, and it makes for a nice change to cooking for myself all the time.

4. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I rather cook at home than to go out to eat because to me home cooked meals taste a lot better than fast food

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cooking at home would be the most cheapest option among the 3, and it's very practical too and it can save you alot of money. Eating in fast foods or restaurants may be more convenient, but they cost a lot more as compared to cooking your own food. I don't know how to cook, but I'm lucky that I don't have to learn, since when I'm at home, there's always food that was cooked or bought.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me it's definitely cooking at home. In general though, who knows. Most people don't eat healthy at home either.. even when they think they are, so there isn't much difference, so in those cases, do what's cheapest and gives you less work I suppose.

7. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I cook every meal we eat. I am more concerned about the kind of stuff that we stuff into our mouth. What I cook at home is healthy fresh and contains nothing that is bad for health. It might be labor intensive and takes too much time, but worth the effort. Yes, they do cost much less than what you would pay for it.. may not always taste so great.. but they are good for you.

8. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    I will eat out sometimes but I prefer cooking at home. I think it's cheaper and it's healthier for you than eating out at fast food restaurants all the time.

9. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    You have to ask yourself if it's cheaper to eat fast food now and pay for it later in weight gain and health issues or to buy food and cook at home. No one says you have to cook large amounts of food and get stuck with leftovers. It's a simple thing to reduce what you prepare or to freeze leftovers to save you from having to cook later on. Preparing your own food is the only way to really know what you're eating and how healthy it is for you. Eating out is nice when you want a treat or a night off from cooking, but it's better to eat at home.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I love to cook at home, but it does get rather expensive - especially when you are just cooking for yourself. There are certainly times where I will go to the grocery store to pick up a few things to make a recipe for dinner, then walk out having spent like $20-$25. I could have easily just spent like $6 and got a combo meal somewhere and saved the rest. I usually have to be careful and try to seek out some budget friendly recipes so I don't get carried away with too many exotic ingredients or stuff that I won't end up using the rest of before it goes bad.

11. Clightted

ClighttedNew Member

Threads:
    when i have time i prefer cooking at home
    it more healthy :)

12. MrsR

MrsRMember

Threads:
    I love cooking at home but once in awhile I like going out. My husband and I cook a lot at one time because we like to eat leftovers and it is cheaper that way. We can make a big pot of something that we can eat on for several days. We like the dollar menu too and we eat that mostly if we eat at fast food. Once in awhile for a special occasion we will splurge and eat at a nice sit down restaurant, but that's not very often.

13. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely prefer cooking at home...my husband and I both love cooking together/for each other and generally enjoy our own cooking more than eating out, anyway. Occasionally we'll go out, though, just for something a little different and social.

14. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I hate cooking so I take any opportunity to eat out. My new favourite place is a Maltese restaurant that has opened a couple of miles from me, it is very pricey ($32 for a burger) but it is authentic.

15. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer cooking at home because I usually prefer the taste of my own cooking to any fast food restaurant, and I don't go out to expensive restaurants often because I can't generally afford it. However, sometimes I just really want to have some food and just can't bring myself to cook.

16. daniel.d

daniel.dBanned

Threads:
    Cooking at home is better.. because it is something that is prepared at home and secondly you save yourself from getting ill :)

17. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    Cooking at home. You can actually see what's going into your food when you're cooking at home compared to eating out. You don't know what fast-food restaurants put in their food nowadays. Rarely I will go out and eat with my family though, only on that occasion.

18. mansawalta

mansawaltaMember

Threads:
    Cooking at home is definitely the way to go. The thing is you are the only one who really knows how to get your taste buds tingling and so if you cook for yourself, you are gonna get the best meal ever, unless you are a terrible cook.

19. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer cooking at home because I can cook to my taste and I know exactly what is going into my food. I am very particular about what I eat as I follow a paleo diet and there are no paleo restaurants in my area. Cooking at home also saves a lot of money, I can cook a meal for 4 for the price of 1 meal at a restaurant.