Cooking At Home

Discussion in Food & Drink started by to7update • Dec 2, 2016.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Let state the obvious, the best way to save money with food is to cook at home. Sure, it's not easy to get a discipline to do it, but once we start doing it on an (almost) daily basis we get into automatic mode, we save money and we eat better.

Who is cooking at home and who is not?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Would you believe that I had zero knowledge in the kitchen? But when I married and discovered that my wife was a disaster in the kitchen, I had to learn the ropes by myself. Yeah, it is the cost of food that matters that's why I learned fast. From a rough estimate, we spend just about 20% to 30% of what we spend when we eat in restaurants. Fastfood is cheaper but it's boring to our palate. And what's best in home cooked food is the sanitation. We are assured of fresh ingredients and clean food.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    This is undoubtedly correct, cooking at home goes a long way to help in saving money and one is properly fed. I don't like buying food out, I also do not like eating food that were prepared under conditions (hygienic) I can't really say. You get to enjoy your meals more and be healthier if you always cook it yourself.

4. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Haha, you put a smile on my face when you said your wife is a disaster in the kitchen! :D Fortunately mine is not, but due to the nature of our busy jobs, we do share the responsibility there. Good points you mention, we save time, we have fresh ingredients, clean food and save money. All we have to do it cook. :)

5. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I try to cook on a daily basis since I must save to not be low on money by the end of the month. Once in a while I will go out and buy food or go eat at a restaurant. Sometimes I don't have time to cook but that's when ai try I try to cook for 2 days so I can have one day to finish up some work.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Cooking at home saves you hundreds of dollars a month. If you buy food out every day, you tend to spend 15 to 20 dollars a day for one person but if you cook at home, you spend 15 to 20 dollars a day for an entire family with even some leftovers for the next day. I always suggest cooking a dinner for at least 2 to 3 days. It's a life saver and it sure is a lot healthier.

7. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    There are many benefits of cooking at home., for example
    you get to eat healthy food
    you save a lot of money on food
    I always make sure to cook at home. I cook my own food.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that cooking at home is the best. Just recently a rather popular sushi shop had sold tainted scallops that was polluted and gave people a liver disease hepatitis. 2 people died from eating the scallops. The health dept. closed down the famous sushi chain.

cleaned up and got an okay to reopen. It was such a mess and after 2 people died, eating the tainted scallops, it got scary eating outside food. Cooking at home sure is safer too.

9. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I love cooking and also homemade food is my weakness. I think there is something more than mere saving money and that is health. When we dine outside we have no control on the ingredients being used in the food we eat. It is a fact that most of the restaurants use taste enhancers to make it more palatable. But when we cook at home we ensure utmost hygiene factors and use the best quality ingredients. So I think there is nothing that can replace a home made food.

Saving money is another advantage of cooking at home. But then you have to devote your time for this activity but it is really enjoyable for those who love it.

10. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Oh no that most have been a terrible experience. You did the right thing by having to quickly go and learn the basics of cooking. It may have been too much of money spending if you had decided to make buying and eating out the norm.

11. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty much, our health always comes first and this is something many times we fail to realize. If we eat something at a fast food restaurant we might feel full, but does our body really received all the nutrients we need to be healthy? No right, for that we need to cook real fresh food at home.

12. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Eating home cooked food is both health and pocket friendly. Sustaining on outside food is almost impossible when you have a family. The children cannot have outside food on a regular basis. In such a scenario though it's a boring task, you have to cook at home for overall wellness and well being.

13. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I cook daily and three times a day. All three meals are different. This is to ensure that meals are nutritious and balanced.

I cook intercontinental meals to offer variety in meals. I love to try out new dishes and experiment.

14. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Cooking three times a day is something heavy, it's hard work, so I am guessing you are cooking for your family? I usually cook once per day at the most as lunchtime we don't eat at home. At dinner we always have soup, so sometimes we cook another dish and other times we just eat something lighter along with the soup.

15. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I can't boast of able to cook three times daily. I manage to do that once a day, keep in the fridge. I'd dish out a part which I warm before eating when I am back home in the evenings. Sometimes I am too busy to cook, I buy out and take it home for a dine in.

16. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, that happens to me too, when I am just too busy and don't have time to shop and cook I simply buy food and take home or we go out to eat something, but these are the exceptions, not only because I can't afford to do this as a rule, but also because it's not as healthy.

17. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    Cooking at home is hand down the best option. It saves a lot of time and money. My mom generally cooks for the family and I help her out sometimes. Cooking at home has rich health benefits mainly because of the following points.
    1. You get to choose your vegetables and stuff. You can select vegetables and ingredients of your choice.
    2. You are the ultimate decision maker. You decide what ingredients to put in, what kind of oil to use and you can mold the recipe according to your taste.
    3. You are less likely to be prone to health hazards by eating at home regularly.

18. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    We eat outside for special occasions like wedding anniversary, birthday, family reunion, and the like. I am very proud that I have a good if not best cook in the person of my beloved wife. One of the reasons why I marry her because of the cooking skill she had. She know what is best for my tummy.

19. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Well... :) I agree it saves us money, but that saves us time I am not sure if it's true or not because we need to go shopping, cook and clean up after, so it's a lot of work! Surely that's it's a healthier solution, but we need to work to make it happen. Ask you mom if it's hard work or not. :)