Cooking ground beef without a George Foreman type grill

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Hedonologist • Jan 22, 2014.

1. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I've found that if you place your ground beef in long thin strips in the pan and tilt slightly during cooking, it will drain as much fat as using a George Foreman type grill. It might not work as well for other meats, but it does the job for me as I only cook ground beef in the pan.

2. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I wonder where I could find this grill in Asia. It sounds so good and it will make things easier for me to grill. Thanks for sharing this!

3. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, thanks for the tip!

I would still love to invest in a George Foreman grill. I saw a red one that holds up to eight burgers at a time, and it didn't cost much. I think it would be worth the money; I would probably use that thing constantly.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest with you, I'm not much of a fan of the Foreman Grill. A lot of what is coming out of the meat into the dripping trays are the juices, not just fat. They don't necessarily render off a lot of fat unless you are cooking something that has a lot of fat in it to begin with. If you are cooking 80/20 ground chuck, that will render off more fat, than cooking 95% lean ground beef, which will give off more juices instead and result in a very dry burger.

Also, when trying to cook more delicate items like fish, or grilled sandwiches, it tends to smash them from it's weight. Chicken tenders and chicken breasts will often come out bone dry and not cook evenly if the chicken is too rounded.

Personally I would much rather invest in a good grill pan, which is easier to clean and doesn't smash the meat or other food items you are cooking.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with ohiotom. In fact, if you left the 'fat' in the tray it solidifies and the juice that you lost rises. It's pretty clear.

I have to suggest something about the fish though. When I used to have the grill and could not afford another way of cooking I would leave the grill open, lube it up, and cook lid open. Especially with delicate things that the weight would destroy. The issue with this is you have to be more involved with the cooking process. There is no 'set and forget'.