Cooking Rice Faster

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Corzhens • Mar 11, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we cook rice, we wash the rice twice before adding the appropriate amount of water. And although already set in the rice cooker (or pot), we don't cook it yet. Leaving the rice soaking in water for 15 to 30 minutes makes the raw rice softer so the cooking is much faster. With that little savings, it totals to a substantial amount when you cook rice twice a day.

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that soaking it first seems to make it cook faster. It depends on what you're cooking rice in too, I find. If I use coconut milk it seems to absorb more of it and therefore cook faster. However, if you're looking to save money on cooking it water is considerably cheaper than coconut milk, so saving on the cook time wouldn't make much difference to the price with coconut milk.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I did this last week when I accidentally left the rice cooker on warm setting instead of switching it on to cook and when I came back to check on it fifteen minutes later I was so disappointed to see the rice was uncooked but I was surprised at how fast it did get cooked once I turned it on from that point. I thought I was just imagining things but I'm glad to hear some confirmation on it. I'll have to try this out a few more times with more accurate measurement.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tip, I will be sure to try it the next time I cook rice. I have only done this a few times. Rinsed the rice and then let it sit before cooking. I do it on a stove top and not in a rice cooker and I didn't notice that it shortened the cooking time but I will definitely try it. I like the idea of shortening the cooking time and saving money too. I make rice at least 4 times a week.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always soak rise for a few hours before cooking it. Read somewhere that in addition the rice cooking faster when it is soaked, soaking makes the rice easier to digest. I don't know if that's true or not but it should be something those who don't soak rice before cooking should think of . . .