Cooking Utensils

Discussion in Misc & Others started by TheKnight • Jan 12, 2017.

1. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Do you use cooking utensils such as whisks, spatulas, or ladles?

I find that most of those things are unnecessary and if you want ones created with good material, they cost way too much. I find that I can do everything I can do with those utensils by simply using a spoon or pouring.

What do you use to replace all those expensive utensils?

2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Our kitchen is complete with such kitchen or cooking utensils. We use the utensils made from a local materials and they are cheap. They could be used as what the imported or the expensive ones are made to. We are an average-earning family household. We have never long for such expensive cooking utensils.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is a nearby town in our place where the major cottage industry is making utensils like ladles and wide spatula. They are made of metal and not the elegant type so you can expect the cheap price. In fact, we have spare utensils in the stock room because we bought several of those including sieves and tongs for roasting.

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have found many utensiles are expensive but they can also be found in certain stores for cheap. They are not the best quality but can with stand a few months at least. I use a spoon most of the time since I have gotten used to it but I do use a spatula when I fry meats.

5. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    We use wooden spatulas whenever possible. They are light weight, easy to use and also healthy when compared to many branded models. Like mentioned above we also have many cottage industries here that focus on preparing cooking utensils using natural things like wood. I think we are also helping them grow and boosting our domestic economy. These kitchen tools are made with perfection and they use various advanced machines to make it. It's a developing industry due to an ever growing demand for the products.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    That's good for you guys. Where I live, people raise the prices on those things for some reason. They probably think that we NEED them so we're going to buy them anyway.

Ah, yes. I've also heard of bamboo spatulas but don't they burn when cooking something hot?

Yeah, I find that I do need them when cooking eggs but I manage with a spoon when I can because I don't own any utensils like that.

7. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I use less of cooking utensils too just like you rightly said. I can do many of my cooking chores with spoon, spatula, pouring, a knife. I find too that these tools can virtually do most of what I need do in the kitchen.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You gotta know my wife who is crazy about cooking utensils. She buys lots of them even without need although our kitchen is full of them. I think she loves spending on utensils more than she does buying for her new dresses. I am worried about the number of cooking ware in our home because there is no more space left to keep them.

9. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Ladles and spatules are the most essential part of my daily cooking and I can't do without them. You need them especially for African and Indian meals preparation.

I use wooden spatulas and stainless steel ladles. They ladt me real long over: 5 years! I have limited number of each one of them. I only replace them when there really is the need.

10. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I love kitchen utensils, I usually buy high quality ones at closeout stores (much cheaper) or find nice ones at thrift stores (like older all metal can openers, that aren't cheaply made like the ones I find in stores nowadays). I don't spend a lot because the ones I get last!

11. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    That's true that the most expensive ones last, huh? But I've purchased some expensive utensils that rusted or broke easily so it's an expensive game of chance. What brand or store do you usually purchase your utensils with? I do like utensils but I don't have the money for chances.

12. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I usually go to TJ Maxx or Thrift Stores for cooking utensil, like anything you have to look at the quality, I didn't say to buy expensive ones, they are just cheaper price mostly at closeout stores/thrift store then regular department stores. I usually pay less then a dollar at thrift stores or 2-3 dollars at TJ Maxx for an utensil.

13. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    How do you know which ones are good quality, though? There are many cheaper ones around here too but they break or rust easily too. I don't like purchasing used utensils so what brand should I purchase from TJ Maxx? Not sure if there are any here but the brand might exist here.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have just a few like most of you I like to cook with what I'm accustomed with and makes cooking easier. I got the basic utensils like wooden and stainless steel spoons to cook with, spatula, cooking chopsticks which are longer than your usual chopsticks to eat your meals with, knives and that's about all. I don't like to get too much gadgets for my kitchen just the basics is necessary for me. One more thing I do have is veggie peelers that are indispensable.

15. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I like the brand

but to check quality I just make sure they are made of strong materials, have some weight to them, and put together well it is hard to explain because I am able to looking at an item and seeing how well it is made or put together.

16. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Does it say anything in specific on the packaging or on the utensil itself? I know some say stainless steel but they have a handle that does rust, one has copper, and some have plastic of different kinds. I want a cheap durable one that won't rust mostly.

17. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Cooking is a regular and pretty basic a chore to sustain. Given that, you need most of the utensils which might make the task easier and enjoyable.

I've a fetish for cooking, so possess a range of utensils. I never buy sub-grade materials either as this is something directly connected to our health. The cost pinches at time, but these are mostly one time investments...so, I won't mind.

18. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure what it would say on the packaging, I usually don't get plastic becasue I seem to always break them. I know that I haven't had a problem with utensils rusting, but I hand wash my dishes though and lay them on a towel to dry and run over everything with a drying cloth before putting them away to get rid of all the moisture to prevent rust. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

19. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    @moondebi@moondebi Can you remember and tell me where and what brand you purchase your utensils? Can you also give me an idea on the prices of the utensils you've purchased? I don't like to take chances with expensive brands so having recommendations for specific ones will help a lot.

#19Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2017
  20. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    @TheKnight@TheKnight There're a range of brands like Williams Sonoma, Hawkins, Prestiege, Crystal, Kitchenaid, WonderChef to name a few.
    The price depends on the cookware and their quality. I generally prefer heavy duty, thick bottomed , stainless steel materials.

#20Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2017