Cooking Utensils

Discussion in Misc & Others started by TheKnight • Jan 12, 2017.

1. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    @TheKnight@TheKnight It would be nice to know a ballpark on the prices so that I could know if I chose the correct items. Let's say 500 GB laptops can cost anywhere from 450-700 dollars for the most part. It doesn't have to be specific but I'd like to know so that I won't get ripped off or choose the wrong one because I purchase my utensils online if I were to.

#21Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2017
  2. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    @TheKnight@TheKnight I do use spatulas and ladles but there are times I'm okay with using just a spoon for cooking. When I was still living with my grandmother, she uses these thing made from a coconut shell to scoop soup up. It was kinda cute.

#22Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2017
  3. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    @Working Buck@Working Buck I remember seeing somewhere that someone's grandmother was using a rabbit or goat's foot as a spoon to mix food in pots. I've heard of saving money but geez. Apart from that, I visited my aunt not too long ago and she used polished tree branches as spoons instead of buying them. She just gets one that has a thick end on one side and a thinner end on the other then she uses a knife to shape them how she wants. She then uses some kind of polish to keep it shiny and to avoid peeling or rotting.

#23Jan 28, 2017
  4. Working Buck

Threads:
    @TheKnight@TheKnight A rabbit's foot? I'd rather buy spoons LOL! Well I do use something like a wooden spoon made of bamboo, but I only use them whenever we go camping and we run out of disposable spoons. We also use banana leaves as plate but only when going on the mountainside for a trip. But I would not use those at home. I would rather use my hands LOL!

#24Jan 29, 2017
  5. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    @Working Buck@Working Buck Yeah. A rabbit's foot sounds pretty unsanitary as well as strange. For plates/cups, we sometimes use the large plastic container yogurt sometimes comes with. Some are wide like a bowl too. We have many plastic cups due to always saving them and using them. I don't understand why more people don't save those containers. They work very well for storing anything else. It's a free container! Why not use it?

[​IMG]

#25Jan 29, 2017
  6. Working Buck

Threads:
    Yes your right, I do the same thing but I usually use these types of containers as well as Ice cream containers. I use them to store things in the fridge instead of just storing things in plastic bags and throwing them in the fridge. At least they stack together and you can maximize the space in the fridge with them.

7. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    We usually use the whipped cream containers for salsa or onion. You can also use medium plastic bottles to suck up the egg yolk instead of using an expensive utensil to separate them. You can then use the yolk for something else instead of throwing them away.

[​IMG]

8. Working Buck

Threads:
    I do use plastic bottles to separate the egg yolk from the white. I haven't tried whipped cream containers and I don't store salsa, but I do love salsa. I just don't know how to make some at home.

9. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    For a blender glass full of salsa:
    5 Cooked Tomatoes
    1/2 of a Cooked Onion
    7 Cooked Jalapenos
    1 Cooked large garlic clove
    1 Cooked Guajillo chili
    (Everything above cooked in the same pan together for 30 minutes on low flame)
    (Water and salt is added after in the blender)
    10 Ounces of water
    Half spoon of salt

After cooking, put it all in the blender and blend. Cheapest salsa I make.

10. Working Buck

Threads:
    Wow! Thanks for the recipe, I will try these as soon as I hit the market this week. But maybe I would lessen the jalapenos since I'm not a big fan of spicy food. I might make this version and another one with less jalapenos. My wife loves anything that's spicy.

11. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    If you want, you can replace the jalapenos with something that isn't spicy like bell peppers. Maybe add 3 jalapenos for a little kick and if you want, you can remove the seeds because the seeds inside the jalapeno are what's spicy. If your wife loves spicy, I recommend adding 1 or 2 habanero peppers and 5 jalapenos. If it becomes too spicy, add lemon.

12. Working Buck

Threads:
    Nice trick for lessening the spice, I would note that down. I might do the bell pepper thing since I really do not like spicy food. Thanks for the tip.

13. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    You can even make a sauce without blending called pico de gallo which has nothing to do with roosters. Just chop tomatoes, cilantro, and onion. No peppers needed. Put them all in a bowl and add salt and lemon juice to it. Mash them all together a bit and you can use the pure juice generated from it as a sauce. Just 5 ingredients. Fast, easy, and cheap. You can use the remains for something else.

14. Working Buck

Threads:
    I think I have done this one, and yeah it tastes good. I also tried putting some chopped spring onions and sauted fermented shrimps. It tastes really good.

15. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds good too. You can also add powdered pepper to give it some pepper taste without the spice.

Recipe:
    Add 3 tomatoes, a clove of garlic, 1/4 of an onion, 10 ounces of water, and half a spoon of salt to a blender all raw. Then heat a pan with half a spoon of oil for 1 minute. After the minute, add a few small pieces of onion and cook it for a minute. After that, pour the blended mix in the pan and heat it for 2 minutes then you're done. No spice, little ingredients used, and fast.

16. Working Buck

Threads:
    @TheKnight@TheKnight Ever used fermented shrimp before? It really tastes good! Thanks for this recipe, I would definitely try this.

#36Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2017