Cooking With Coconut Oil

Discussion in Food & Drink started by emily0531 • Jan 21, 2015.

1. emily0531

emily0531Member

Threads:
    I am a big fan of coconut oil. Recent articles talk about many health benefits that coconut oil provides. I have seen an improvement in my cholesterol numbers since using coconut oil. I also hope that it is having beneficial effects on my brain health, as studies have shown that it seems to help in that area.

I use coconut oil for frying eggs, and I also put it in my coffee. I am looking for other ideas for using coconut oil in cooking.

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I use it in every instance I would use any other oil: chicken, steak, all meats, stir frys, anything. I find it adds a nice sweetness to everything. I've pretty much replaced olive oil with coconut oil, even on bread, but olive oil is still a great cooking choice, in my opinion.

3. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    If it existed in this city I'd definitely use it to fry eggs and meats, but I doubt I'd add it to anything.

I wonder how healthy coconut oil is, though. Is it better than olive oil, or normal oil, or sunflower oil, that's the one I use most often.

4. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I think virgin olive oil is much healthier than coconut oil. I'm fine with using coconut oil, but there are just some times where I don't feel too comfortable with its smell. It's just too strong for me and it makes my food tastes predominantly like coconut which I don't like. I agree though that it's healthy.

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have tried cooking with coconut oil and I do believe that it is quite healthy. I do not think I actually like the taste of the cooking as it is totally not same as the sunflower oil that I normally use. I do not really prefer coconut oil that much.

6. emily0531

emily0531Member

Threads:
    I
    I wondered how it would taste with other meats and things. I agree with some of the others that the smell makes me question how it would taste, but I will try it with chicken and steak. I think it would work with shrimp, too.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love coconut oil, but my no 1 choice for cooking oil is and will remain Olive Oil. I might sometimes use some of the lighter oils like flaxseed and sesame oil, but those can be far more expensive. I think coconut oil is heavier than olive oil, that's one of the reasons I wouldn't use it to cook with. I would definitely not put it in my coffee! I like using coconut oil for hair, skin and nails.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If only olive oil isn't that expensive, we would have had a grand time using it for every dish we prepare at home. Asia isn't a place where olive oil can grow abundantly so they're priced rather high compared to vegetable, corn and coconut oils. Although we use virgin coconut oil for hair treatment and other health-related purposes, we don't use it for cooking. We stick to vegetable oil as it's cheaper and with reduced cholesterol.