Cooling Water In Refrigerator Instead Of Water Dispenser

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Corzhens • Jun 2, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to have a water dispenser care of the water station where we buy distilled water for delivery. But it was a long time ago since the station closed shop so the dispenser was already ours. Last year when the dispenser was acting up, our housemaid got some clean bottles which she used to store drinking water in the fridge and then she unplugged the water dispenser. I didn't say anything about it until I saw the electric bill seemingly with a lower amount. And then my husband said that the water dispenser is a cooler so it is like a fridge that consumes much energy. Come to think of it, the fridge is up and running all the time together with the water dispenser. So it is more practical to use the fridge for cooling drinking water and do away with the water dispenser.

The water dispenser is not working now and is in the stock room. It's been more than a year that we had saved on electricity by not using the water dispenser.

2. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, it seems like we have the same case! A few years ago, our water dispenser broke down. I think it was my husband's cousin who caused it to be broken. He used to play with its taps and it just suddenly won't dispense hot or cold water anymore. So then, we have no choice but to fill up water jugs and bottles with water and place them in the refrigerator. Whenever we would need cold water, we'll just get some from the refrigerator.

I also noticed that after the water dispenser broke down, our electricity bill decreased. I guess it consumes more electricity than we thought of. And it's not much of a hassle anyway to fill up bottles with water. If we forget to do that, there's some ice in the freezer which we can use as well. It's summer here though so it can be frustrating if you don't have cold water.

My husband is thinking about getting a new water dispenser. I advised against it actually, since it can cost a lot and it can increase the electricity bill. Besides, there's that chance that his cousin will just play with it again and destroy it.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think this is a good method. Although I guess the downside is that you get less room in your refrigerator and also you could say that having to open the refrigerator door could also possibly end up costing you the same in the end or maybe even more. I personally just drink lukewarm water and mostly just use a dispenser that is not cooled or heated so I don't have much trouble with this, and for heating up water we just use an electric kettle which only uses up electricity when needed.

4. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    This is a great alternative if you're water dispenser is broke. But sometimes it can cause silly rifts between family members, others would consume the water but are too lazy to refill the bottles so it can be frustrating to those who ends up constantly doing the hardworks.