Copycat Recipes

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Diane Lane • Jul 19, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We all have our favorite foods from restaurants and bakeries, as well as some prepackaged goodies, but going out to eat can be expensive, and the same dishes can be made at home for a fraction of the cost of a night out to eat. Have you ever tried to look up (or create your own) copycat recipe for a favorite?

I've never tried to create one myself, because I'm simply not that inventive in the kitchen, although I do like to cook. Here's one of my favorite copycat recipes.

And, here is a whole website dedicated to copycat recipes:

2. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We do try to replicate recipes from restaurants that we love. My mom and I searched for Sizzling Tofu recipe which is from a restaurant called Max's in our country. We just cannot stop eating this, so yummy! And it is tofu so I guess it is healthy lol.

We cooked it at home and guess what? We almost got it to taste the same as the restaurant's Sizzling Tofu. Or maybe even better! We cook this once in a while as it is very tedious to cook.

3. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I find it hard to replicate restaurant recipes.
    Either they don't use the right ratios, or they use the proper ratios and I don't make them because they have SO MUCH salt and sugar.
    That is the real secret of the restaurant industry, just add salt, sugar and fat.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for posting those links, Diane Lane....they're well worth looking through :) I like cooking and really like to improvise and experiment because I believe cooking ought to be FUN. A few times I've tried to replicate stuff I've had at restaurants and some of the dishes I've seen on Come Dine with Me. I'm not one to follow the recipe to the letter, there's a lot of tweaking and changing things, and some of the time my version turns out better than the restaurant's version :)

5. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not really savvy in what concerns the actual cooking process, and I wouldn't want to, because to me buying food is more rentable than cooking my own. The ingredients usually cost a lot more, and just don't have the time of doing the thing itself.

6. Diane Lane

Threads:
    You're welcome @Lushlala@Lushlala, I enjoy cooking, too, and don't mind tweaking a recipe, but am not usually adventurous enough to start my own from scratch, unless it's something easy or that I'm very familiar with, from past exposure. I'll have to look up Come Dine With Me, it sounds familiar, but I've never seen it. Hopefully they have that here in the States. Another one that's good, that my Mom loves is Semi-Homemade, with Sandra Lee. She sometimes starts off with a pre-made mix, or something fully cooked, and adds to it, and it comes out unique and delicious.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I had been trying to find a recipe for Asian Chao's "Bourbon Chicken" - the kind they pass out as samples in many mall food courts around the country. None of the recipes I've tried online even come close - and I've tried a ton of them. Some call for actual bourbon, while other folks say there is no real bourbon in the recipe, and that it's in fact a Cajun recipe named after Bourbon Street. Other recipes call for white grape juice and or maple syrup in place of the bourbon. I even asked one of my favorite chef bloggers that I follow, and he had no idea what the recipe was.

Eventually I found a company that supposedly sold the actual sauces used to make "bourbon chicken". It's a two part process where you first place the chicken thighs in their smokey marinade, then you roast the chicken in the oven in the second bottle of stuff which is a sweet glaze. I eventually ordered the set, which was like $15 plus shipping. While it did taste almost identical to the Asian Chao bourbon chicken, it ultimately wasn't really worth all the costs and time involved to make it yourself. Plus, the first ingredient on both bottles was MSG.

8. Briannagodess

Threads:
    Also how about MSG? I swear some restaurants make my head ache so much after eating. It is like they use MSG too much. I noticed this in one Chinese restaurant in our place. It is an express restaurant kind and they serve your food fast.

The food was really tasty. And it was fast in being delivered too. However, I developed a massive headache after eating. I think they sprinkled a little too much MSG in their food. We never went back to that place lol.

9. Lushlala

Threads:
    Oh pardon me, Diane; for some reason I thought you were in the UK. I don't know what gave me the idea LOL Come Dine With Me is a UK TV show that has now gone global. I do hope that you guys have it over in America. It makes for really interesting viewing, especially if you enjoy cooking. Of course some of the people who go on it are just after their 15 minutes of fame, as they have absolutely zero skills in the kitchen and will make the weirdest concoctions, risking killing their guests hehe Very entertaining but also annoying at the same time! I have over the years picked up a few good tricks from the show, though :)

I haven't heard of Semi-Homemade, with Sandra Lee. I hope it's something I can find over here, or at least stream online.

10. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Haha, maybe it's because I'm from New England ;). I looked up Come Dine With Me, and it seems that some episodes are online, with a questionable site, so I won't post the link, in case anyone gets a virus. Hopefully, I can catch it at some point. I'm not sure if there are free places online to watch Sandra Lee's shows, but there are videos you can watch. Here's a link with some more information about her, her shows, and some recipes, I believe.

11. Lushlala

Threads:

Yea maybe I heard New England and just ran with it LOL Oh, I'm so glad you found a couple of episodes, Diane. these days I watch it more for the commentary than the cooking. But sometimes you do see something useful. You have to listen to the guy in the background, he's HILARIOUS! In my opinion, he deserves his own show because he totally makes Come Dine With Me.
    Thanks for the Sandra Lee links, I'll be sure to have a butchers :)

12. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Ahh the old MSG factor. If you find you get headaches you should get tested for a sensitivity. Could be MSG but it could be a million other ingredients.
    MSG on it's own is NOT bad for you, that's a myth like gluten. There are many well documented studis to back this up. That's like saying peanut butter or milk is inherently bad for you because SOME people are allergic to them.

13. Diane Lane

Threads:
    There was one particular Thai restaurant a friend and I would go to back home that would put a lot of MSG in the food. My friend and I worked together, and would split a plate (they were huge) of Thai fried rice, which was the best either of us had ever tasted, or have tasted since. The MSG would get us high. We would laugh hysterically at everything for about an hour afterwards. We were totally non-productive, but everyone in the office apparently enjoyed the hysteria, and would come make us laugh. I swear, it was a better workout than doing crunches. I have another friend who, whenever she ate food with MSG, would say she could feel her hair growing, and would get a migraine. I never knew what she meant, until it happened to me one time. Have you ever had a reaction to lemon grass? I had a severe instant migraine from that one time, and have had many migraines from MSG since. It seems the older I get, the more sensitive my system gets, although I started off with a sensitivity to caffeine, even from childhood.

14. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    I think some of the recipes used are quite straight forward to follow and I think everyone needs to try at least once! It can work out much cheaper!

Although some are hard to do, I think there is a great deal of satisfaction cooking your own food instead of buying it and you can add extras if you want to aswell!

15. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve saved a few copycat recipes, but I haven’t yet gotten around to trying them out. I’ve gotten so into a routine when it comes to cooking that sometimes it’s hard for me to break out, haha. This post reminds me that I’ve always wanted to try making my own Harry Potter-style butterbeer, I should do it when autumn rolls back around.

16. Briannagodess

Threads:
    @BrandonScooterman@BrandonScooterman MSG has a bad reputation in our place lol. Elders advise against it and so we seldom use it in our meals. Salt and pepper is our way of making food tastier instead of using MSG. I did not know that some people might just be allergic to it. Older people advised me to refrain from using it to cook as it is processed still and they warned never to use it for my son.

@Diane Lane@Diane Lane Lol! I read that MSG actually excites and overstimulated our nervous system. That is probably why you and your friend got 'high' with that Thai food! Hahaha. I did not have any reaction with lemongrass actually. I only experience migraines when eating out in fast food chains or some restaurants. You have quite many sensitivities to food which really requires you to eat at home as we do not know what ingredients are in at restaurants or fast food chains!

#16Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  17. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I can't afford to eat out much anyway, so I do usually eat at home. The reactions tend to be at Asian restaurants, which, coincidentally, happen to be my favorites ;). The food just doesn't taste the same at home, and I don't get migraines when I eat it here, so MSG and lemongrass probably are the culprits. I'm hoping to get some lemongrass soon, so I can test out that theory.