Cornstarch Instead Of Powder

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Zyni • Jul 8, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since it seems that talc really isn't good for us, how many people have stopped using powder (such as baby powder)? Those Shower to Shower powders smell nice and help keep us cool and dry, but are they they best choices?

A friend recently recommended using cornstarch instead. Some people mix it with baking soda, some use it as is, and some even add fragrance to it.

Not only does it seem like it might be a healthier option, it would also be another way to save money. Cornstarch is cheap and goes a long way. While many types of powder aren't terribly expensive, some can be pricey. Either way, corn starch would likely be the cheapest option.

Have you tried using cornstarch in place of other types of powder?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use baby powder for either my face or body because there's face cream and lotion which make me feel refreshed and presentable when up and about. We usually use cornstarch for cooking purposes such as when making soup or fried chicken. If I use cornstarch for beautifying and all, it would take some time for me to get used to the idea.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have read that article about cervical cancer suspected to be caused by talcum powder. I don't use talcum powder on my private parts. My usual need for the talcum powder is on my back when the weather is hot. It helps me cool down a bit. With corn starch, it is a good substitute for talcum powder in the body when the child is hit by prickly heat. The corn starch seems to neutralize the heat that causes the rashes.

4. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I don't use corn starch or bath powders. I have found that baking powder is great at soaking up any areas where perspiration might occur. It is great, lasts a long tme, does not irritate the skin and is cheap.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use it there either, but it seems that many people use talcum powder there when diapering babies. It's also said to bad to breathe in when it gets in the air though. It's strange after all these years of people using it to find out that it isn't healthy. At least cornstarch is a nice, cheap, alternative.

That's good to hear that cornstarch helps relieve prickly heat and rashes. I wasn't aware of that, but it's nice to know that it works instead of having to use medicated products instead. I think it would be good as a foot powder as well, since it helps absorb moisture.