Could You Live In A Rv Full Time?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by eagletal88 • Mar 13, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I think when I get older I could do it because I will have the money I need to travel and see different parts of the country. I would not be able just to park my RV and just live in the same spot full time. It would get cramped and I would probably get bored.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I could manage it for a week or two. I don't think I would be very comfortable sleeping out in the open like that, to me that is camping out. I know it is silly but I am sure I would feel more secure in a house than an RV. It would be fun to travel around for awhile to visit other places. I met a guy that traveled to car autions with his car secured to the rear of his RV. He had a home but he had to travel alot and did not want to stay at hotels so he got his RV.

3. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Cool. Good for them I say. Though I don't know how much they can 'show me up' or anyone with their intelligence for that matter when they never had formal schooling. It's great that your kids turned out smart though. Being smart really comes in handy in today's world. :)

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Soul crushing only sometimes?? Lol!!! I don't know how I smile, half of the time, with all of the expectations -_- I did not know that you did not drive - at least I don't think that you previously told me that. We have another problem, I'm afraid: I don't drive either lol. Looks like we are going to be spending the money that would have been going towards the mortgage on a driver ;)

Tommy, spoken like a true brainwashed peon :O All I can do is call them like I see them :)

5. TommyVercetti

Threads:
    Wow, it's kind of weird that you'd call me a brainwashed peon since by your comments you don't seem to even have the decent skills needed to travel in an RV. It seems that you like the idea rather than assessing the reality of it. Could someone live in an RV full time without knowing how to drive? Maybe, but you can't deny that it's not a very compelling prospect. Thinking that you can do so easily might be more indicative of being brainwashed than someone simply acknowledging the importance of the education system.

Anyway, I love traveling. Before I got married I hiked all over southeast Asia with my volunteer buddies. Even when I married, by job carried me over to far away places like the middle East. It was great, and the love of traveling isn't lost on me. In fact, I want to be able to travel again, this time with my family. The only point I was trying to make was that it was going to be taxing for children to be always traveling. That was pretty much the gist of it. I hope you understood my simplification.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oops. Or we could just park the RV and use it for storms and bathroom breaks. Tents it is! haha. And yes, there is no sometimes. It seems we're surrounded by Tommys. Thankfully, this side of the fence is starting to get really crowded.

You know schools didn't invent learning right? That's something us humans just sort of do. If we couldn't do it without them, I'm not quite sure how we evolved, but apparently you have that figured out, so please enlighten me lol. Teachers aren't the only way to obtain information and I'm quite capable of raising my children without them. That's my job and what I want to do more than anything.

Speaking of teachers.. did you know many of them are taking their kids out of school? Resignations all over the place as well. Pretty sure they know the system better than you. Doctors are taking their children out also. Probably some of the most "educated" people in your opinion. Is it okay by you now?

My oldest was in school for quite a while until I realized what a joke it is and he learned more in one year out of school than he ever learned in. Same with travelling families.. I may not be one, but I know some and they're doing amazingly and balancing life perfectly. School is such a long, drawn out, useless system for most. It's not useless for all, I know, it's good for some and it's good for those who need a place for their kids to go while they work, or those who don't have it in them to do it all themselves. And that's fine! To each their own. It is in NO way the best option though. It's just an option. If it works so well though, have at it.. send your kids, be it's cheerleader. If it works so well though, why are so many graduates poor? Why are so many suffering and going job to job or fighting people who didn't graduate for the same jobs? Why are so many people online working for pennies? Works for some.. but not nearly enough. Not even most.

You over estimate the school system, my friend. I think most homeschooled kids are far more educated than those locked in buildings most days, with no real socialization. They're all raising each other in there and being taught the exact same way, to pass a bunch of tests. If that's what you call education, so be it. That is exactly why I'm so confident my kids will show you up lol.

Anyway,.,. there is no talking to people who don't have a clue about it or who have people all figured out after a few posts in a random forum. You have a very narrow view of the world and that's good for you, but it doesn't work for me. It doesn't make me less than you or what you think we all should be.

You'd be surprised the things you could learn if you open up to the world outside your people factory, Tommy ;)

Rant over.. sorry, you touched a nerve. Please do yourself a favour and be careful who you insinuate is a bad parent or a "non serious adult". And don't EVER get me started on education lol.

7. TommyVercetti

Threads:
    Oh I'm sorry I touched a nerve, I didn't mean to insinuate anything and I think you came to the conclusions by yourself, which is very intelligent and I applaud you for it.:)

Following your arguments though, I can't help but notice that they rely heavily on being anecdotal and your very admirable appeals to authority are standing on very shaky ground. For instance, the teachers who are the primary agents of, and who make their living and do their life's work through the very institutions you are trying so hard do discredit are taking their children out of school? Could you imagine that:
    a.) the teachers don't believe in their ability to teach their child well, so they pull them out of school. For what? So they can teach them at home instead? Same teacher. Does not make sense at all.
    b.) the teachers would rather disregard the serious discounts their child gets in schooling. Some teachers' kids even get free schooling. Free facilities, free text books, free resources. So teachers are pulling their kids out of school so that they can teach them at home where they have to buy supplies from scratch? I don't think so.
    c.) Teachers are resigning. Sure, and I assume they'll look for other jobs that have absolutely nothing to do with the field they've been educated on for years. Alright, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt even if it's very unlikely and very costly to do. It just doesn't fit with your line:
    Surely the ex-teacher would be looking for other work to support their family and would NOT be able to 'do it all themselves'. If only they had a previous job that allowed them to get paid while teaching kids by themselves. Oh wait, they had one until they resigned.

So doctors are taking their children out of school as well? Doctors who achieved their profession by being enrolled in formal education are taking children out of school to home school them? Wow, your doctors must have an extraordinary amount of free time, or do I take it that you meant that they were doctors of Philosophy, Psychology, or English? I'm afraid those types of doctors are tied to formal academics heavily as well. In fact, a lot of them have jobs as tenured professors--teachers, in other words. I don't know about you, but these people are pretty "educated" in my opinion.

Of course I could be going at this all wrong. I don't know where you're from or the quality of your education there. For all I know you could be form Somalia which has one of the lowest education rates in the world. But who am I kidding, it doesn't matter to you, because based on your statement:
    , kids form Somalia have the same chance of becoming doctors or teachers even without formal education. If that's true, they should really trade in their guns and piracy for stethoscopes and doctorates.

Anyway, don't let your nerves get in a bundle and don't lose sleep over our little disagreement.:) I believe in the freedom of speech and opinion. I believe that you have the same right to proclaim and argue that school systems are ineffective and unnecessary just like how climate change deniers proclaim and argue that global warming is a myth, despite the fact that there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary and that 99.98% of scientists worldwide agree that there is global warming; just like how antivaccers proclaim and argue that vaccines cause autism, despite there being no studies to prove it and despite their movement causing a resurgence of measles in the US, where it had been previously made extinct by vaccines for over two hundred years but is now killing infants and toddlers.

With that said, I feel that this little exercise has gone on long enough and it's become so off topic that there isn't even a single mention of RVs anymore, so I want to formally concede to you about your point that: "to each their own", basically. People have a lot of differing opinions and I respect that. I really have no right to tell you anything about the way you raise your kids. Who knows, your kids might end up my bosses, or my kids' bosses, and if that ever happens, I want us to be on good terms. See, I'm not so close minded after all, am I?:) Anyway, this might be my last reply because I feel like I agree with you on a lot of things now, especially with what you said:
    :)

Have a good life and go on that RV trip if that's what makes you happy. I bet you can teach your kids to drive better than most instructors out there anyway. Nothing beats learning on the road, wouldn't you agree?:)

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    I had been about to mention all of that, and more, regarding the education system. But it seems as though you already have it covered ;) If only people knew how much damage the education does to children. You've only got to type in, 'school makes me feel,' in Google and let google finish the sentence for you. Not only that, but one of the reasons for the education system is a less than benign one. I love how attaining good grades comes before getting enough sleep and happiness. I love how if you are a square peg, and you don't fit into the very minuscule circle peg that they have set out for you to slip into, then you are worthless, and stupid - regardless of the fact that one may be a genius in other areas -_- It's all very laughable to me.

But then again, everyone to grow and learn at their own pace, right? I won't even tell you that you are one of the best adults that I have ever spoken to, because I am sure you already know that. Deep, insightful, wise, and clear-seeing as far as perceiving the world as it really is, as opposed to looking at it through brainwashed lenses, that are puppeted by another's hand. But then you already knew that too.

9. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    This is always something I've wanted to do as well. I think there's something about the freedom you'd have, go wherever and whenever you want that appeals to me. Sure, it might be a little cramped and it would involve a change of lifestyle but I think the pro's outweigh the con's...I'll do it one day, tour around the US or Europe would be good.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You VERY obviously know nothing of homeschooling or the MANY different ways of doing it. Shouldn't you have a clue before arguing something? Just because Tommy doesn't get it, doesn't mean it's not out there in a huge way. And very successfully to boot.

I didn't say school was ineffective, I said it was useless for many and since you're so smart, you wouldn't disagree. It's all out there for anyone to see. I didn't say education.. I said school. If you stopped learning the minute you left school, that's your thing, I'm sorry to hear it. But many of us actually still use our brains and learn every day. But how is that so when we aren't stuck in buildings with people cramming their information into our skulls!??? Tommy says it's not possible!!

And that's not to say homeschooling is best for everyone. I've seen plenty that have no business doing it (because, you know, we leave our homes a lot and spend time with other people. GASP!!).

And now I'm a bad parent AND a liar. You know some people don't give a ____ about bigger and better and realize they can get by on one income if it means doing the best thing for their kids? And ooooh I don't know.. raising them themselves? What a concept. So unheard of. And did you know some doctors have spouses that can read and raise a child while they're at work?? It's amazing!!

But I suppose bigger and better IS what's best for the kids?

Narrow, narrow, narrow view of the world.

We don't just give our kids gold stars and send them on their way. Again, you have no clue, so you shouldn't be arguing this. Obviously you need schooling for certain professions. Most homeschooler's end up in University or as entrepreneurs. But, I'm sorry if we don't live in a way you approve of or gits us our learnin' in a way that meets your standards, oh jerky knower of everything. (I'm trying to be kind and coming off stupid haha, just go with it, I'm not good at biting my tongue).

And hey.. why are you here? Don't highly intelligent graduates of everything right in the world have far too much money to care about saving a penny.. or making one?

Thank you so much, Dreek! That means a lot coming from you. And I agree.. for many, schools are the end of the road. If they did it right, great! I'd be all for it and I do see a positive change in some aspects (college/university requirements.. a lot of them just LOVE the homeschoolers. Even some high profile employers are starting to see the stupidity in categorizing people based on expensive pieces of paper. Again, though, it's not for everyone, regardless of how they do it. No matter how someone chooses to educate a child, it's about the child.. that's where the problem begins. Nobody cares what the child wants, or how the child learns or how the child feels.. there's only one way in their world. Tommy's way lol. Gold star Tommy!! :D

11. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have been in love with my farm from the day my husband and I moved here. I would like to think that it will be the last place I ever live, but I know that it likely won't be. That taken into consideration, yes! I do believe I could live happily staying first one place and then another. Seeing the sights and just enjoying different parts of the country full time.
    I think, though, that I would choose to pull a camper rather than to drive an RV. Well, maybe not. I say that because I would want some form of transportation other than the thing I lived in, if you know what I mean. I know you can also pull a car or a trailer with a bike or two behind the RV, but I guess I'd have to do some research and figure out which option would be the most economical on gas and also the most convenient to do.

12. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I see where you're coming from, but eagle didn't say a thing about hauling his kids around. He said "later" as in just he and his wife. It could be a great way to retire. Or, you could even still work if you do something that can be taken with you.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been doing a lot of research on the tiny house trend. I have watched hours of videos on YouTube of tiny houses. It really appeals to me. I prefer the idea of a tiny house over a RV. I do think I could live in both. I'm single and I really don't need a lot of space. I have already downsized considerably so I think it's very feasible. There only problem is that land in Southern California ain't cheap.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    Don't mention it, hun. I would have addressed what's his name directly lol. But I could not be bothered to waste my breath - or typing, in this case - talking to someone who tries to get others to conform to their myopic brainwashed perception of the world, and how things 'should' be, through ridicule - especially pertaining to parenting. How boring. How dated. How transparent :) NEXT!!!

#34Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lol well, no worries... just because my response isn't littered with lawls, doesn't mean I'm riled up about it. I've been doing this a long time and know, or know of hundreds of families (and then some! Holy wow, we're everywhere lol), including the doctors and teachers I spoke of. It's not like I mention my connection to the system every day on here lol.. ew. And many teachers themselves don't know what they're getting into entirely until they're smack dab in the middle of it, feeling like they're failing these kids after a while. Look at the subjects they teach.. they take that long to learn??? LAWL. Some teachers see first hand who these kids really are, but can't allow them that when they have to learn about life behind a desk while my kids are out there experiencing it and actually being a part of the community they read about. Hence the resignations and homeschooling teachers.

They hold kids back. The ones who want and can move faster than that anyway.. again, they all learn different ways and at different paces. I have a child that lives and breathes science.. no school nurtures the science brains nearly enough. You have to leave that up to the after school hours that are already taken up with homework from their redundant work in class. Blah.. it's fine. I'm used to reading these opinions. Anecdotal though? LOL coming from the person that clearly hasn't even thought about this until now? He should probably stick to science denier hunting in the comment sections of science pages and leave the child rearing to the pros ;)

Next he's going to judge my abilities based on my writing style (in here.. hope I'm not being tested!) lmao.. small minds; what can you do?

Sorry.. this is boring now. So... mountains or lakeside??? lol. Or are we hiring a driver?

16. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I know the land isn't cheap to rent in Southern California too, and that is the drawback. Have you seen those YouTube videos where people actually rented a space in the backyard of other people? I think that would be the only way for me to afford if I get a tiny home.