Could you support a stray animal?

Discussion in Pets started by Dora M • Jul 12, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some of us spend a lot of money on our pets. We like to pamper our furry family members and buy them the best food and toys that we can afford. We look after their health by taking them to the vet for regular vaccinations and check-ups. But what if there is a stray dog or cat "knocking on your door", asking to be adopted? Would you make room for them and offer them a place in your home?

2. lionzfire122

lionzfire122Member

Threads:
    Awww yes I would. Every time I pray for my food I always include "if there's any poor person or creature hungry or thirsty send them to me" into my prayer. Believe me, I have been sent many kinds of people and animals. Some stayed some have gone. I was even blessed with a wonderful dog and her name is Grace. Sometimes I can be a you know what to her but hey, she loves me and yes, I split my food with her sometimes. She's wonderful to me =]. What a pooper though lol!

God bless, LIONZFIRE

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would not at the moment because I have 2 dogs already and it's the Goldilocks scenario (not too much not too little). Maybe I would change my mind if I lived in a house but I don't. I'm not even sure you are even allowed to have 3 in an apartment even though I saw one lady with them. I've seen a cat walking around though. I hope they found a home. I think that's why they're so grumpy all the time because apparently their owner moved out of this complex and left them.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, and I have done it dozens of times in the past.

I grew up in the country, so it wasn't uncommon to have strays show up. Even when i was in the city, though, it happened a couple times.

5. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I can't say that I would because I have never had a stray animal come to my door. Plus, I have one dog who enough. But I do remember when I was younger that stray animals would come around my grandmother's house and she would feed them and once she fed them they never left.LOL!! They just kind of became her pets. It still happens today. She has a stray cat that just hangs around its been 8 years now.

6. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would. And in fact, we did it all the time when I was growing up. Most of our pets over the years were strays, or pound pick ups. Sure they require a little more attention, and sometimes more money to be spent on them, but it's all worth it in the end.

7. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    If they really did do something that incredible I'll no doubt adopt them. Not sure about dogs but I'll definitely take cats any day. I doubt that will happen in my neighborhood, I've been living here for 20 years never once had a stray come by my doorstep.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never can adopt a stray pet. A puppy maybe but cats or dogs I'd never take them in. I hate grown cats and I hate grown dogs but I have a soft spot for puppies ever since a little puppy my old man had bought died in my arms. Ever since then I never want to see a puppy die so should the need to care for one arise, I'll take care of it.

9. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I have actually taken in a few strays and cared for them for a short time. I would clean them up and get them healthy again and then find good homes for them. I have kept a few for myself, just because I loved them. Right now I couldn't. I have the money, but my apartment would charge me another 400 a month to keep an animal. 400 on top of the money I'd spend on a stray is too much. When I get a house I will be more than happy to take in strays and help them get well before finding them homes. If I could I'd keep them all, but my husband won't let me. :)

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would definitely do that, because I only have 1 pet cat and he seems to be lonely since he seems to be calling out to other cats occasionally when he is outside, so I would love to get another kitten for him to play with. I tried to adopt a couple of stray kittens that were suddenly dumped in our neighborhood, but they were elusive. I have yet to chance upon a tame one.

11. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. All my cats were rescued from the street, and now are all vaccinated and spayed/neutered. I love them and look after their health. Now if I came across a new stray cat or kitten I wouldn't be able to adopt him as my apartment is full with 5 cats, but I would take them in and give them a foster home until I could find someone else to adopt them. I don't have the heart to let an animal suffer. If it was a stray dog I would contact one of the rescue groups of the area because I can't have a dog in my apartment, so they can find a nice foster and eventually forever home for them.

12. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I couldn't even foster a dog which would suck for them. We're not supposed to have visiting animals here (which is a real bummer for me because I'd love to get money dog sitting).