Coupon Dates

Discussion in Coupons started by DreekLass • Sep 1, 2014.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was unfortunate enough to go on a first date with somebody a few yeas ago, where the person took out a whole load of coupons to pay for our night out. Whilst I have nothing against coupons - because we all use them; let's face it lol - I wasn't too happy about the fact that this person just whipped them out to pay for our night. We were in my part of town, and this person didn't know me very well. Whilst I have nothing against coupons, what if I did?

I just found it terribly inconsiderate.

So if you went on a first date, would you have a problem with your date using coupons to pay for things? Or on the flip side, would you ever use coupons on a first date?

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't understand why so many people have a problem with coupons, and it certainly not something that I would complain about if I was on a date. Why would you ever want to do something that you could have got for free? Surely that would be nothing more than a waste of money! I would much rather be dating somebody who is good with money, i.e. somebody who knows how to save effectively, and this would show to me that they were exactly the person that I was looking for. I very rarely have meals out if I don't know that I have a voucher to at least cut the cost, because I feel strongly about wasting money, so we should always be doing things to cut back if we can, and yes, that includes when on dates. And if you're the type of person who would judge a date for using a coupon then s/he probably had a lucky escape anyway!

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    While I love coupons and use them all the time, I'm not sure I would use them on a first date myself.
    I understand he could have been trying to treat you to something that he wasn't able to afford otherwise, but I don't think that's OK on the *first* date, maybe a bit further along it wouldn't even be an issue.
    He could simply bring it up with "I got these coupons for x restaurant, wanna go there?" then if the answer was no you could have simply gone some other cheaper place.

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    Well someone is clearly having a bad day lol. Didn't I state, multiple times, in my above post that I don't have a problem with coupons??? Guess someone has selective reading.

My main problem, was the lack of communication. This person didn't know me very well. I could have been uncomfortable with coupon use around people that I knew. It is considerate to discuss the use of the coupons before just whipping them out like it is nothing on the FIRST date. I wasn't embarrassed in the slightest, but what if I had been? There was no regard for how I felt, which was my main issue with the coupons.

Exactly Strykstar!!!

5. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    Would you have remembered the person so well if he/she hadn't used coupons?
    Maybe not! :)

6. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I find nothing wrong with using coupons on a first date. Not knowing the person very well and using coupons on the first date to treat me to something spectacular, heck yeah, go for it! It sounds like, to me, you're embarrassed of him using coupons in front of people you know. Why be embarrassed? What's there to be embarrassed about? I'd encourage more dates! It takes more nerve, patience and time to plan an all out date and use coupons. You can do ten times more if you are saving money :)

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    LMAOOO!! Keep in mind that whilst this person made an impression upon me, it was not a good one lol. I didn't like that this person didn't respect me enough to discuss the coupon usage with me before hand. Especially considering that we were in my part of town. I knew a lot of people - well know a lot of people. We were going to places where I knew people. To have this person just pulling out coupons - for all this person knew, I could have been really embarrassed or offended. I wasn't and I would not have been. But it is the principle that I have a problem with.