Cow's Milk, Soy Milk, Almond Milk and others. What do you prefer?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by justusforus • Oct 28, 2013.

1. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I actually prefer hemp milk over all the other types. Hemp milk is just better for you nutritionally and can fit into any diet. Compared to cow's milk there is no competition as hemp will always win.

If you guys don't understand what hemp milk is then do a quick search. You will be surprised with what you find.

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My doctor had diagnosed me with GERD a few weeks ago and being the person I am I don't like taking medicine so I went to find alternative treatments. I am kinda glad I was diagnosed because it turned me onto goat's milk. I've never been big on milk nor cereal so not much use for it. I would drink it sometimes with for example cherry pie but I like the goat's milk that I've tried. The first one I tried was gluten free. At first it would have a dill pickle taste in it. It's an acquired taste I guess but the more I drank it the more the pickle taste went away so I ended up liking it. I wanted to try something that was even better though so I got some from a friend and it's really good. It does taste like cow's milk but somewhat different because it's creamier. It might be because I'm used to 1 percent but from what I remember I think it's a little creamier than whole cow's milk but omg you can feel the fattening when you drink it. I may have to find some alternatives.

3. BrianWolfe

BrianWolfeMember

Threads:
    I love cold almond milk too! I find that if I drink my soy milk as a smoothie with one crushed banana and some honey, it tastes amazing and you don't detect the beanie taste at all.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite is still cow milk, but I like rice milk too.

I can drink soy milk but I find it a little tasteless and have not tried almond milk yet, but have to give it a go because I like almonds taste.

5. erronousRogue

erronousRogueMember

Threads:
    I use milk more often than not as an ingredient, so I definitely prefer something with a "raw" taste over more exotic ones. Plain old cow's milk for me.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only use Fat Free Milk in my cereal and cooking. The whole milk gives us a terrible case of gas. We also drink Soy every once in awhile.

7. BrianWolfe

BrianWolfeMember

Threads:
    I also make cashewnut milk but it is a bit more expensive than almonds. Simply soak some cashewnuts overnight and then grind them in a blender, strain and drink! I make almond milk in a similar manner as well and my vegan friends all love it.

8. Lady350

Lady350Member

Threads:
    I like the Lactaid brand of milk. It really helps cut down of the side effects of what milk or dairy does to me. It also last in the refrigerator much longer that regular milk. I don't know why, but it has an expiration date that is out longer than regular milk.

9. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Many people are allergic to cow's milk, virtually no one is allergic to goat's milk. Three out of four Americans prefer goat's milk if they don't know that it is goat's milk. Most people who think they are lactose intolerant aren't, they are allergic to cow's milk. The process that converts lactose to other sugars also modifies the albumin that produces the allergy. I drink Almond milk because of the cost of Goat's milk, which I much prefer. Worldwide far more people drink goat's milk than cow's milk.

10. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I am lactose intolerant. So, I prefer soy milk. It's the only one I can digest without a lot of side effects. Almond milk is good as well, but not as tasty to me. (See:

)

11. thomas pendrake

Threads:
    Cow milk allergy is far more common than lactose intolerance. The only ethnic group that is not predominantly allergic to cow's milk is white European. Africans are the most allergic to cow's milk. Goat's milk is far less allergenic, almost as well tolerated as human milk. Three out of four Americans will prefer Goat's milk to cow's milk if they don't know that it's goat's milk. In addition, it's healthier.

12. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer the taste of Almond milk the best. However, I head bad things about cows milk, soy milk and almond milk. My sister joked that she just has a little of each once in a while since they all have something bad that has been said about them. I suppose she has a point.

13. thomas pendrake

Threads:
    Try goat's milk, the odds are that you are are allergic to cow's milk rather than lactose intolerant. The process used to make the milk lactose free also modifies the albumin that causes the allergy. I suspect that the dairy industry knows this. Worldwide most people are allergic to cow's milk. Most people who are allergic to goats milk are also allergic to human milk, a very unhealthy condition. I have recently started drinking Almond milk since goat's milk lacks the government subsidies that make Cow's milk so cheap. Soy milk contains phytoestrogen, which mimics the female hormone estrogen. Post menopausal women may benefit from soy milk. Soy milk should not be fed to children.

14. CannibalCrayon

CannibalCrayonNew Member

Threads:
    For a long time I preferred almond milk, but then I began to realize that the more I drank it the more it gave me problems, and eating raw almonds made me feel like my insides were being shredded. Shortly after I found out that I have an almond intolerance. I'm still pretty upset about it.

I still lean towards alternatives to cow milk, but it also tends to be the cheapest, so I've been drinking skim more often than not lately. I do like picking up some vanilla soy milk when I have a few dollars to spare, though.

15. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    I have tried to drink other types of milk besides cow milk.

I simply do not have the taste for them. I have tried varieties, flavors, consistency, brands, and just don't seem to enjoy their flavor.

As a kid, Mom gave us goat milk. I do not remember the flavor. As an adult, I have not tried it.

16. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    I've only ever drank cow's milk and I've never thought about trying another option up until now. I didn't realise how much it could upset your stomach and I've been getting a really upset stomach recently. I think I'm going to do my own research into this and look if I may have a slight intolerance or can find some organic, raw cows milk.

17. brutal37138

brutal37138Member

Threads:
    I have never tried other milks, but truly don't see any reason or need to switch from cow's milk. Overall its a good healthy drink that is also necessary for a plethora of recipes that we use throughout any given week. I do know that the prices for other milk tend to be higher, so that would be a deal breaker even before the taste.

18. Dolson910

Dolson910Member

Threads:
    I have really begun to avoid many cow related products. I don't eat red meat and I rarely purchase cow's milk. I still eat cheese, but only because the alternatives to cheese made from cow's milk are too gross. I have gotten away from cow products because of the continued trend of farmers giving growth hormones to their cattle. I try my hardest to avoid those products but organic products can be so costly. SO every once in awhile I will still purchase non organic milk products.
    Instead of purchasing cow's milk, I buy coconut milk. I LOVE it! I usually buy the unsweetened vanilla coconut milk. I love adding it to a bowl of cereal and I like to pour it into my morning coffee. Coconut milk tastes great, does not hurt my tummy and it is void of all the growth hormones.

19. broknkyboard

broknkyboardMember

Threads:
    I've tried soy and cow milk (different brands of each) but I haven't tried almond yet. So far I haven't liked a single brand of soy, but that's not what bothers me the most. Here's my issue: All the different brands of cow milk have a distinct and different taste to them, which really bothered me because organic cow milk should not be so different...

20. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    I have tried all the milks out there. In the end, my favorite milk is Snowville Creamery. This brand comes from entirely grass feed cows. I know this must be a good thing, because the milk is SO much better than the stuff you find at most grocery stores. Snowville is delicious, and comes in a cardboard container, which is cool. I get it at Trader Joe's or Earth Fare. I think any health food store should have it, or will order it for you.