Craft Supplies: Mod Podge

Discussion in Misc & Others started by thisnthat • Jan 31, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Hello crafty friends. I know I've seen some other avid crafters on here, so I thought I'd bring up something that nearly every person who does arts and craft projects can relate to: the price of Mod Podge!

It seems like it's a different price everywhere I look (and depending on which formula you happen to be looking for at the time). I recently checked Amazon to see if I could get a better deal. It appears that the larger packages are indeed priced better.

Where do you usually buy Mod Podge? Do you buy a large size to try to get bulk savings? Do you know of any place to get coupons or discounts?

If you shop with Hobby Lobby, you can also get a 40% discount on one item, once per week. Buying a large bottle of Mod Podge might be a good option for using this discount as well (oh, it looks like they are having a Valentine's Day sale as well for selected items).

2. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    For most applications Elmers glue (or an even cheaper generic "white" glue from the dollar store) and water is a much cheaper alternative. I only used branded Modge Podge when I need the glossy finish or it is something I am definitely planning to keep for decades (archival).

That said when I buy Modge Podge I go for smaller containers even though the unit cost is higher. that is because It easily get contaminate with paints and fluff, and if you leave the cap off just once you loss a lot of the glue to desiccation. If I did buy in bulk I would probably repacked in smaller pots to avoid wasteage.

3. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the idea. I think I will buy the bulk Mod Podge and divide it into smaller containers as well. That's a great tip.

I have tried using white glue and water, and in the past it seemed to work quite well. I don't think Elmer's or the other brands are quite as strong or whatever as they used to be. They don't seem to work nearly as well, even with less water. Maybe I need to leave out the water entirely and use them at full strength. I guess it's worth a try if it would help save money.

Can cheap, white glue be purchased in bulk also? I would think so, but I haven't come across any to date.