Create A New Email Account For Online Shopping?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Denis Hard • Sep 4, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many people who regularly buy their stuff online allow online retailers to send them promotional emails, news of new products released, get notified of deals first, etc, etc. But these retailers are affiliated with other companies and will probably share your email address with them. And they'll flood your inbox with emails.

Of course the easy way to stop them would be to filter out the emails or mark them as spam but you'd lose out. It's better IMHO, to create another email account where all your deal-related emails will be spent.

What do you guys think?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is a good idea, but my gmail has promotions and social tabs and filters them for me. The only problem with having separate ones is that if I do want to check on my smartphone I have to add another log in account.

I have about twenty email accounts; some I check daily and others less frequently. I tried to keep a separate one just for my hosting accounts and one just for certain subscriptions, but somehow I have ended up using them for sign ups too!

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have accounts for everything lol. The ones for stores I don't want in my personal inbox.. sometimes there is an initial amount off your first purchase sign up thingy, so I'll use a different account for that; I don't like being sold to and I hate getting junk mail. I shop so rarely (other than for necessities of course) that it's not at all worth it.

4. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is common practice to have a 'junk' email account :D It just stops your 'legit' mailbox from being flooded with advertisements and spam. Like what Denis has said, online retailers often would inevitably share emails with their affiliates, and this is something we agree to when signing up with them online; who reads the terms and conditions anyway. Hence, instead of getting only advertisements from the retailer you subscribed to, you often get emails from all sorts of random places promoting seemingly similar products, but eventually, things get out of hand and the spam comes in. Curb the problem at the root anyway, most online retailers, especially the more reputable ones, have an option to checkout as a guest. Stick to that option if you are not a frequent customer. Another thing to do, is to unsubscribe from the promotional emails right at the beginning, and you should not see spam coming your way!

5. BreezyB0412

BreezyB0412New Member

Threads:
    I think it's a really good idea. I have a gmail account for all my important things & a yahoo account for the websites I'm not so sure about, & the ones that I know are going to share my email or send lots of spam.

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    It’s a great idea. I have an old e-mail account I typically use for things like this, but lately I’ve made the mistake of using my regular e-mail to sign up with shops’ mailing lists. It makes me want to buy things that I probably don’t need, or at least don’t urgently need. With a dedicated e-mail that’s infrequently checked, it’s easier to seek out the deals when you need them, rather than having them come at you constantly and making you think you need them.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I did create a separate account just for my online shopping when I first got started because I knew I would be signing up for multiple stores and even though gmail is already very good at separating newsletters from actual priority emails, I still would prefer if all of my shopping information were separated from my other tasks. It makes shopping much more fun for me and certainly a lot easier to manage, since any category I press in my shopping email will always only concern retail purchases.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have several email addresses that I use for different purposes. I don't have an email address strictly for shopping online. I will, however, promptly unsubscribe from shopping websites that I have purchased from if they are spamming me with promotional offers. Most of the time I am not interested in the offers.

9. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    I actually have about 3 other "throwaway emails" that filter different kinds of junk. One collects shopping promotions in case I ever see something useful. One collects all the spam and rewards I get from rewards sites. My final one is used to sign up to sweepstakes and the like when they pay on sites like Swagbucks.

10. AllAboutTheLincolns

AllAboutTheLincolnsMember

Threads:
    Gmail is beautiful in that it knows how to filter your emails from promotions, social media updates, and spam. That way, my inbox is generally kept to newsletters, important business, and other things that primarily matter. It's wonderful to not have all of the updates popping up on there. If this wasn't the case, however, I would probably get a new email address to keep all of that stuff stored away.

11. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just run a couple of Gmail accounts, one for day to day stuff like enquiries, social and shopping and another which is the address I give out on GPT sites (including Swagbucks). They do a pretty good job of filtering out the spam, I must admit. On the whole, I don't like to unsubscribe once I've received my purchase though. Sometimes, you'll get sent discount codes based on previous shopping behavior and I don't want to miss these, just in case they are for something I need that week.

12. bsthebenster

bsthebensterNew Member

Threads:
    That's a really good idea. I should have done that, I get a ridiculous amount of junk mail because I gave my email out to retailers. It can get pretty overwhelming. It takes some time to set every retailer to junk mail. I find I'll set it to junk mail but I will still receive the email in my main mailbox. Thanks for the idea. :)

13. Harlek

HarlekMember

Threads:
    Yeah I do that, setting up different email accounts for different sites and uses. I have an email for work, for shopping and for my bank, makes it easier to track everything since you're not bombarded with emails on a single account, also it's easier to weed out the important and promotional stuff.

14. karamara

karamaraMember

Threads:
    I think it's a great idea to have a separate email. I personally hate having to weed my way out of the barrage of promotional emails and other things and the worst is that they send you these emails more often than normal, so having a separate email for all of that is really a great thing especially when you're into discounts and coupons and you don't want to miss out and at the same time you don't want to be riddled with emails.

15. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I do that a lot especially when sites offer a discount or a coupon code if you sign up a new email address for mailers and stuff. I think I have 3 separate emails for each online shop I go to. Makes everything look clean and organized when it comes to promotional mails and other things. The only problem that I have with this is trying to remember every password for each account.

16. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have an email specifically for sundries or miscellaneous. My husband had created that email address a long time ago. He said that non-important connections like stores or restaurants that we go to would sometimes ask us for our email address. It's not good to have your inbox cluttered by offers and such. Right now that miscellaneous email is getting offers from Lazada twice a day.

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes it does. I, however, do most of my online transactions through the email application on my smartphone, and on my smartphone, those three tabs for primary, social, and promotional aren't there, so everything goes into my inbox, and I have to deal with alerts, and then delete the 'spam' emails once I have seen that they are spam,

18. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know @Denis Hard@Denis Hard, i've actually considered doing this before. I even went so far as to set up a gmail account, but now it's just sitting dormant. I want to dedicate it to online shopping and online work, because I get too much stuff coming through my 2 regular accounts, one of which is a Yahoo one that needs to go! I find all the notifications and promotions annoying because I have to clear out my mail every single day....grrr!!! Some I have tried to unsubscribe from or mark as junk, but they still keep coming.

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You could try blocking some of the addresses but that would be somewhat time-consuming if you are getting junk mail from a lot of different email addresses. One thing you could do to stop them is create a new email address, inform all your contacts you've changed your email address and you won't see all that junk mail anymore.

20. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's exactly what I decided to do! I've set up the gmail account and all that needs doing is to inform all my relevant contact of the address change, then shut down the Yahoo account. I think this is my best option. My only problem is laziness LOL But I'll get round to it.