Crock Pot slow cooker

Discussion in Product Reviews started by classicnyer • Jun 28, 2012.

1. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I love my crock pot but just not for cooking. Its also great to keep things warm for parties. I have a bunch of them. I even have one that is split in the middle so it can heat 2 things at once. I like to put chili on one side and cheese sauce on another for making natchos. Its also great for keep a beverage warm in the winter like a great hot apple cider or spiced tea. I use mine for my bean soups. Its great to presoak the beans on low overnight so that they are ready to cook the next day. It makes any cut of meat tender. I use it daily for something or another. I like to make meals ahead so often have something creating in the crock. The nice thing is I can alos put the crock and all in the fridge when its done and pull it out anytime to heat it.

2. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    We got a huge crockpot for our wedding to replace the smaller one and use it at least once a week. Especially on weekends we will put something in the morning and just let it simmer all day...I live in the south so don't get many cold days but when it gets cold for that 1-2 weeks a year then we are always making soups and chili with it.

My favorite thing to make is probably pulled pork...get a big pork shoulder and throw some dry rub on it; add a little chicken broth and a can of dr pepper then with about 1-2 hours left throw in the bbq sauce (or buffalo sauce) and enjoy on a bun with some cheddar cheese.

3. Marchese

MarcheseMember

Threads:
    i kniow your suppose to use this as a leave on all day item but that freaks me out. A friend of mine left one on all day and ended up with a fire in her house. I just can't bring myself to use one bc of that incident.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My crock pot came with a little baby crock pot called a Little Dipper that's supposed to be for making dips and fondue. I think it's adorable. I don't throw that many parties, but now I kind of want to just so I can make some spinach artichoke dip in the Little Dipper.

5. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I would be very unhappy if I had to live without my crockpot. I use it every week, and would use it every day if it were a bit more versatile. It does cook just about anything and can turn the toughest meat to fall apart tenderness. One of my favorite dishes is rotisserie chicken. My kids love it and say it's better than ones I get at the store. Dried pinto or kidney beans are also Yummy.

6. alreenaw

alreenawMember

Threads:
    I really love slow cooking with a Crock Pot as well. It makes the food delicious and I don't have to stand over a hot stove the entire time. It is really convenient and makes some of the best meals in my house.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I found a couple of crock pot dessert recipes that I thought you guys might like.

Here's the link for Rocky Road Crock Pot Cake.

And here's one for Crock Pot Apple Cobbler. You can pretty much make anything in a crock pot.

8. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mum likes using a crock pot because she can prepare a simple meal in the morning, put it in the crock pot and it will be ready to eat when she comes home from work. Crock pot cooking is easy and there's lots of nice recipes you can try.

9. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    This is exactly why I love my crockpot! I have a 1.5quart one - a VERY small one and I think it's called a Crockette. I only live with one other person and after I load up my small crockpot, I'll have about 2-4 wonderful, hot servings. The best part about the crockpot other than not standing at a stove is that you can save a load of money. You don't have to buy the best cuts of meat, even though it can end up being so tender and juicy after it's been in the crockpot. You don't need fancy vegetables or expensive ingredients to have a delicious meal.

10. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsuNew Member

Threads:
    Crock pots are an amazing invention and allow so much versatility in the food to be made: from chile and cheese dips to Mexican Chicken to soups and stews and many other things. The only thing my wife doesn't like about our crock pot is it doesn't have a removable liner, so it's a pain to clean without a slow cooker liner.

11. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    You're so right... not too long ago I made a steak in the crock pot. It wasn't a super expensive cut of meat, but there's no way I could have cooked it more perfectly on the stove.

12. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I've never tried this - never even thought of it, but it sounds great. I love the idea of leaving the skins on as well. My husband refuses to eat potato skins, but cooked like this they'd go soft and easily mash into the mix. Thanks for the suggestion. I don't use my crock pot as often as I should, but this post has inspired me to dig it out and try out some recipes. I'm very busy with freelance work at the moment, and this would take the pressure off a little.

13. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    Wow! It never entered my head to use my slow cooker for mashed potatoes. I am definitely going to give it a whirl, though. I tend to use it for curries/chilli/bolognaise - that type of thing but tatties could be the future! Thanks for sharing that tip.

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have heard about doing mashed potatoes that way, but I feel like it's usually a dish that only takes 20 minutes to make anyway, so it's not something I really want to spend all day on.

That being said, I have done 20 quarts of whole potatoes in my big roaster/slow cooker in order to cook a large portion of them all at once. I used some of them for hashbrowns, some for tater tots, and turned the rest into mashed potatoes.

15. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cooking mashes potatoes using a crock pot is an interesting idea. The potatoes should be skinned for mashed potato and the toxins are found in the skin. Removing the skin will remove most of the toxins in the potato.

16. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, my family have used crock pots for years and we haven't had any incident like this. We are careful about where we place the crock pot, it needs to always go on a counter top. Also, we make sure that there is nothing near it that could set fire such as napkins or paper plates. These appliances can get very hot while in use so some precautions need to be taken.

That being said I find a crock pot to be a great kitchen item. I love making soup, stew and even a meat loaf in it.

17. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a crock pot, but I do have a rice cooker and I've made quite a few things in it. When I first bought it I searched online for things to do with it and recipes for stuff other than rice. I came across comments from a lot of people who were so happy with theirs they had stopped using their crock pots. I have a very basic model that just has two settings - cook and warm, but I want to upgrade in the near future.

18. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I Love both the rice cooker/ pressure cooker and the crock pot. I love slow cooking the taste is indeed very authentic. The pressure cooker is fast and work often gets done with half an hour. I cook meat, potatoes, rice and everything imaginable in it. I have a few crock pots in different sizes. It is very handy when you race against time.

19. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I love my Crock Pot as well. I do not cook it very often. I have wanted to try to make a dessert in the Crock Pot, but been nervous. Its amazing at how many different Crock Pot Recipes are out there. I have to say if you cannot cook the Crock Pot is a great option! It's easy and it still taste great! I didn't even know how great it was and how much you could do with your Crock Pot until I got married. My mother used a Crock Pot, but it was only for warming purposes.

20. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Crock pots are amazing, they make cooking simple and hassle-free. My favorite thing to do is to make yoghurt in the crock pot. You simply heat the milk, add a tablespoon of yoghurt starter (when the milk is lukewarm) then leave it for about 5 to 6 hours. Voila! You have yoghurt. No need to buy a yoghurt maker if you have a crock pot.