Cross-Country Travel in a Big SUV

Discussion in Travel started by niceness8000 • Aug 11, 2012.

1. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    Does anyone have a big SUV, the size of a Suburban or Expedition? If you do long-distance driving to other states, I would like to recommend a suggestion. If you have the room, get yourself an air mattress (a single) and inflate it in the back. If you have two or more drivers and are going to be traveling 12 hours or more, an air mattress in the back of your SUV can offer a very comfortable way for the off-duty drivers to relax and get good rest for their next shifts.

With an SUV of the size I'm referring to, you should have enough room for your luggage and a third or fourth passenger. Gas is another consideration - that's not the point of this thread:p

2. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I drive a Ford Expedition and I drove to Las Vegas a few weeks ago with my siblings and we took turns driving while the others rested comfortably in the vehicle. We planned this trip a few months ago and thought driving was a great way to explore Las Vegas as well as the other states we traveled through. It worked perfectly. I am the only one in my family who drives an SUV. We saved a ton of money because we did not have to stop at a motel/hotel to rest. We used rest stops to purchase food and to clean up ourselves. The money we saved from stopping at motel/hotel to rest up we used that to purchase gas. The trip was amazing and we can't wait to drive to California next year all the way from NJ.

3. niceness8000

Threads:
    That sounds great! You hit it right on the head with what I am talking about, and you make me want to take another road trip too.

FYI: I don't know which parts of California you and your family are planning to visit, but I would like to make a suggestion for you when you get there. Depending on the time of year, you can take whale-watching tours. Schools of Gray whales migrate passed the California coast every year. In some parts of the state you can see them from the shore, but I'd recommend taking one of the boat tours. They'll take you out onto the water and you'll get to see them a little closer. On occasion, a whale may even approach your boat to check you out. Whale-watching tours are on my "to-do" list, so I figured I'd mention it to you as well.

P.S.: It's illegal for tour boats to get within a certain distance of a whale in the wild. But if the whale comes up to your boat, then you get a spectacular view.

4. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Niceness8000, thank you for this information, I will definitely share this info with my family.

5. niceness8000

Threads:
    Thanks to you. I feel good when somebody lets me know that something I said was actually useful to them. If you go and see anything, please let me know how it turns out.

6. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I will definitely keep you posted on how our trip turns out next year. At the moment we are trying to figure out which month and day we want to begin traveling next year.