Custom Built or Pre Built PC?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Nevi • Sep 22, 2014.

1. Nevi

NeviNew Member

Threads:
    I will always prefer a custom built on my own since it gives me a freedom to choose parts and assemble my PC to scratch, I'm a tech junkie person that will always prefer to mess my computer a little bit, add some parts, some modifications on the casing, tweak the processor or video card for more performance. What do you prefer?

2. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    There's really no comparison to picking your own components and putting it all together. You save money, and you get higher quality products. There have been a few threads on here about building PC's and replacing your components and I think that's what you'll find the overwhelming opinion.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer custom build for the most part both in terms of price and performance. But some people aren't as confident as we do when it comes to building PC's so they tend to just stick to prebuilt. Also it's sometimes a pain in the ass to buy a part only to realize that it's not compatible with the MOBO.

4. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I will never buy a pre-built PC. There's nothing like building your own rig, choosing each part according to your specific needs. Some (if not most) pre-built PCs are also pricey for what they offer. And the experience of building your rig is invaluable as you will learn a lot and have an easier time when it comes time to upgrade.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I always go for the custom built one. It's a lot cheaper than buying a pre-built computer and I also get to play with hardware, something that I like. With the money you'd spend on a pre-built PC you'd buy much more powerful hardware that will last much longer before going obsolete. And if you're not knowing how to buy and assemble a PC by yourself you can find a friend that does - a lot of people have this knowledge. Just don't forget to buy him a beer at least :p

6. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    Price-wise there is comparison to buying a fully assembled computer, plus the already assembled ones might contain stuff that you wouldn't want initially. Then again many people, including myself don't really know how to put one together and don't really have the time nor the passion for this kind of stuff. I do have a friend who is in the know how about it but if I didn't, I would definitely just buy a preconfigured PC, im really not into wiring stuff and mechanics, its definitely not down my alley.

7. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to price building your own PC is the best way to go but only if you know what you're doing. Since building a PC requires more than just a basic understanding of 'Insert point A to point B' you have to really know stuff about computers before you build one, the compatibilities and all that technical stuff.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have no problem with either, I am aware that building your own PC is preferable and buying rebuilt ones are probably unnecessarily more costly, but as long as the builder is trustworthy and you can be assured that the parts you ordered are indeed what you are getting, then I see the small difference in cost to be somewhat negligible, especially considering that you get to save a bit of time and effort in it too. The advantage I like most about building your own PC is that you get to learn it and thus won't need to rely on professionals as much.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since I currently do not know how to build my own pc, I have no choice but to buy a used or brand new pc that's already ready to use. But once I get to learn how to build my own pc, then for sure I would prefer to build my own than buying a pre-built one.

10. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    custom built are for those who are knowledgable about hardware of course but for those who only learns software like me, I usually buy just the pre built and its just me installing anything I want from operating system and add graphic card if needed.

11. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, the beauty of a custom built PC is you can build it in parts and don't need to have top of the line everything right away. So while your target PC might cost you $1000 with all the parts you want in it, you don't have to pay that up front. You can get the upgrades at different stages, which really helps alleviate the cost of having to pay for it all at once.

12. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    The beauty of it etc is that if you can plug in a Graphics card later, you're already knowledgeable enough to build your own PC. I used to take the same approach as you when I was younger, buying pre-built and then upgrading. It's really so much more cost effective and easy to just build it all. It's not difficult, it's just a matter of plugging it all in. If you're concerned about sticking the CPU on the motherboard, there are a lot of barebones PC's available which provide you with a case, CPU and motherboard, you can do the rest.

13. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I used to build my own. I have an A+ certification so I at least used to know how, though I haven't really kept up with hardware. Eventually prebuilt PCs became so very cheap that I just started buying them and messing with them here or there like adding more RAM or a larger hard drive later. I haven't had a desktop computer at all in probably at least 4 or 5 years - I switched to laptops exclusively and haven't looked back. For a year I also did not have Internet at all so I used my phone for almost everything, since if I absolutely had to use a computer it involved me going somewhere with wifi and taking my laptop. I've also got a tablet. In an odd switch I am currently living with a friend who is a luddite and refuses to have wifi in the house, so I have to use a wired connection with the laptop and if I want to use my tablet I have to go somewhere with wifi. Oh well.

14. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    I think that a custom build will almost always trump a pre-built PC, for three main reasons. For one, higher end pre-built PCs are generally more expensive than building them yourself because of branding and marketing. Alienware has to buy the parts in wholesale, then assemble them, and must recuperate costs somehow. This brings me to the second reason, which is LABOR. These pre-built PCs have to be assembled and the workers must be compensated. Building your own PC is great, because it becomes somewhat of a hobby once you learn the basics, and doesn't feel like "work" at all. The last reason is the ability to search for parts on your own that are on sale! Websites such as these make that search very easy.

15. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Pre-built PC all the way! For the life of me i can't build my own pc. I just don't have the talent for that. I'm so thankful there's a pre-built pc available because I would never attempt to build my own pc. I'd probably mess up the whole thing and then I'd just double the cost of the expenses. If I'm more techy for sure I won't have second thoughts of building my pc but for now, I'd just stick to pre-built pc. ;)

16. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would either. I am very computer savvy so maybe I need to have more faith in myself but I don't mess with the inside so I'm more software than hardware.
    I think maybe it helps that it's like a puzzle too and I'm not good at puzzles.

17. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I believe it all depends on the user.

Preassembled computer towers are best for people who are not technologically savvy and simply desire to use it for personal or business reasons.

Self-assembled computer towers are best for electronically adept people, who like to tinker with CPU hardware and software for maximum experiences.

I myself, like to buy preassembled CPU towers and then upgrade it as much as possible; I haven't the time to learn the technicals of building and programming a self-assembled CPU, so I've opt for a middle ground.