Custom Pants Is Cheaper Than Rtw- Ready To Wear

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Corzhens • Aug 18, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We usually buy RTW - the ready-to-wear clothes in the boutique for pants and shirts. But recently, my husband discovered that a custom-tailored pants is much cheaper than those RTW in the mall. And what's really good in custom-tailored pants is the fitting that really fits you to a T. And there's a variety of cloth to choose from not to mention the style you desire for your pants. They also make polo shirts but we still have to check on that.

2. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of tailored clothing being cheaper than RTW. Now these RTW clothing that you are talking about are probably expensive though. I would love to get all my clothes tailored made, but it's not really a big deal.

And because I have always thought they were more expensive, I never really looked into it, but now I will start asking around.

3. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    Custom-tailored cheaper than ready-to-wear? Wow, that's fantastic. Where I live, I can get brand-new pants from reject shops for as little as $5. Custom-tailored pants would cost about ten times more. Plus I will have to wait about a month to get it. Without any guarantee that it would fit well.

4. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    This is certainly not the case in my country. Custom made pants are more expensive than the ready to wear version. The number of custom tailors here has gradually diminished because many persons have resorted to the ready to wear clothing because it is cheaper than tailored.

5. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I am surprised to hear that you found custom made to be cheaper than rtw. Of course rtw can be found at every price. So it's hard to equate that. I can go to Dillards and spend $100+ on a dress, or I can go to Walmart and spend $20. Or I can go to a thrift store and spend less than $5. I have little need for fancy clothes. Yeah, I need a few things that are nice, but for the most part a thrift store will do me just fine.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Custom made is generally cheaper in Asian countries where there are an abundance of tailors. However, that is not the case in the UK and I doubt very much in the US. Ready to wear is much cheaper, and people usually buy bigger sizes and then get them altered which is still cheaper than buying custom made.

7. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I personally would not wear those custom made pants, I do not really like the way they look on, however, it all might depend on how these are done and all that kind of stuff, I do not really like wearing bad quality stuff, I would rather invest some money on good clothes that are probably last me longer than those custom pants, that's my opinion though.

8. whysewserious

whysewseriousMember

Threads:
    I make costumes for a living and I would be most curious to know where the ready to wear pants are purchased from to begin with so that having them made custom is cheaper - quality fabric is pricey and making them takes time and is also expensive. I suppose if a trouser was $200 in a store it would be cheaper to have them made.

I do think it can be beneficial to have adjustments made to a pre-existing garment and if they are purchased at a discount store or thrift shop this could be a financial savings.

9. Aree Wongwanlee

Threads:
    When I was a young adult, I only wore custom pants. There are two reasons for this. One, at that time, reject shops or secondhand clothes stores were not found where I lived. In fact, at that time, I didn't think they existed. Two, I was working and I had to look my best. So all my clothes were tailored. Now, I have discovered the wonders of the reject shop and secondhand clothes shop. Besides, I don't really care about looking my best any more. What's more important is comfort and getting more value for my money.

10. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I buy ready made wear and also wear custom made shirt and pants. However, in my experience ready made wears are cheaper than custom made clothes. In order to have a custom made clothes you need to buy cloths, and take it to the tailor to stitch. You will have to pay price for cloths and stitching. In our country Chinese cloths are available which are very cheap.

11. Aree Wongwanlee

Threads:
    Even if the cloth material is cheap, tailors are hard to find where I live. And the good ones are always fully booked with orders for weeks ahead. The last time I ordered a custom-made garment, I had to wait one month for it to be ready. In that particular case, I was prepared to wait because the garment I wanted could not be bought off the shelf. It was my own design. The price I paid for the workmanship could have easily bought me a couple of ready-made garments. Still, when there's no choice, the only thing to do is grin and bear it.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it would depend on where you are buying the clothes from. If for example you bought clothes from a thrift store odds are you'll spend less than what a tailor-made clothes would cost.

I agree though that tailor made clothes can be cheaper if you sew them yourself. Buy cheap fabric and make as many clothes as you want.

13. Aree Wongwanlee

Threads:
    Yes, of course, if you sew the clothes yourself, you will save a whole lot more. It's the cost of workmanship which makes tailor-made clothes expensive. However, if you buy secondhand clothes or clothes from a reject shop, you will save the most. There are many clothes of good quality to be found in the secondhand or reject shops. The reject shops sell new clothes which did not pass the QC tests at the factory. Usually, it's just a very small defect like a missing button, something which can be fixed very easily. Sometimes, it's just clothes which have been overproduced to meet an order. Say, there's an order for 1000 dozens. The factory will produce a bit more than 1000 dozens. After QC has approved the 1000 dozens, the remainder, which are all new and good clothes, are sold off as a bundle to reject shops