Cutting Back On Christmas Cards

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by littlewitch66 • Dec 11, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I send cards out to the same people year after year and I'm not even sure if they still live at the same address or in some cases whether they are still alive.

To be honest I don't really notice whether people forget to send me a card or not so I'm thinking of cutting right back this year. I normally post around 13 and then hand out cards to people I know locally.

Do you ever cut back on the number of cards that you post or give out or do you send the same number every year?

2. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Even though it's not that costly to send Christmas cards, I do love to be appreciated for it and as well being sent a card of my own. Normally, I use to send cards to almost all my friends and close family relations but as I'm getting less return from the people whom I sent cards to, I have decided to only send cards to only those that sends to me as well.

So by cutting off a whole lot of people that doesn't return the love, I have actually made a good savings from the money not spent on cards for them who don't reciprocate love and care.

3. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Social media, particularly Facebook, made it possible for many people to save on Christmas Cards and postal service for sending them. These days, I only send Christmas cards to three people and that's only because they are special people in my life who have opted out of social media and are quite traditional when it comes to special occasions like Christmas. These older relatives live in the United States and they still send us letters and Christmas cards like old times. I'm sure that they treasure and store the cards and letters in a box somewhere so the money I spend buying and personalizing cards as well as the postage are all worth it. It's really quite fascinating to still receive and send snail mails in this technological age.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the olden days, I would buy a box of Christmas cards and painstakingly write on each one for the specific message. I also do that personalized greetings now but it's already digital. That's a lot of savings on my part, not only on the cost of the cards but on the effort of going to the store to buy. Truly life is getting better courtesy of technology.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy sending Christmas cards. Some of my card receivers did pass and the family lets me know right away. Just one person doesn't return any cards, so I have cut them out, for I'm guessing they are not interested in sending nor receiving Christmas cards. I love the picture Christmas cards of the family and the children, so you'll know just how much they've grown! Everyone spells their names differently, and it's good to know how to spell everyone's name on your Christmas card list. I like keeping in touch with family especially and this is how I keep in touch even if it's only once a year. I usually keep sending family the cards, even if they don't send me cards.

6. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    This is so true, through the use of social media in Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc people tend to get more engaged in sharing Christmas love, it's just few people that observe the old school ways of sending cards unless it's to those that are very dear to such person.

7. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    This does happen to most of us. I send out cards during our festival of the year, which is, Diwali. Most times, I receive a message on my my Whatsapp saying they have received the card but there are always those who do not acknowledge. Once I realise that they are the ones who have not acknowledged it for more than 2-3 years, I stop sending cards. With digital social media, most people do not bother sending cards now but I think it is always worth it for the pleasure of holding the card itself in my hand thinking that someone thought of sending me a card.

8. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    To be Frank with you, I don't post cards to friends during Christmas since I discovered that not all have respect for such gestures. I would rather get gifts for few of my friends whom I know will get and value them instead of sending cards.

@nangk08@nangk08 You took the right move. I mean for what reason would make them not acknowledge that they got the card. It is better that I sent and someone acknowledged for if they don't do so, I would have to stop sending too.

#8Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2017
  9. littlewitch66

Threads:
    The only thing with sending e-cards is you can't string them up and make them part of your Christmas decorations. I like looking at all the pretty designs but I guess at least people know you have thought about them at the special time of year. Also some of the people I normally send to are older and wouldn't have a computer so it wouldn't be any good for them.

10. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    That is so true. E-cards are also so much less personal and almost mechanical that they don't let you have the pleasure of holding them and smelling the fragrance of the ink on the card. I feel that in spite of the electronic media replacing traditional methods, many people still love to receive personal cards and treasure them for memories., But most people cannot or do not have time for such efforts.

11. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:

How comes you don't know if this people are alive or transfered to another adress? Don't you ever communicate to each other on phone, email or social media ?

It is a nice idea to do so because you care. But you can choose to cut the number of cards you will send this year especially because the previous ones might never have reached the recipient.

12. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    When I was still studying, I did give Christmas cards to my classmates. Now when I am working, I never ever give any Christmas cards to anyone. Now the social media particularly the Facebook, I send so many cards to the friends. There is a great saving in my part. I just download free Christmas cards and edit it to include my signature and everything is solved.

13. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    There weas a time when I used to send a lot of greeting cars and every year the expenses increased, However, since a couple of years, I stopped sending real card, I usually share a greeting car on my facebook and tag people. Sometimes I also send emails with gift cards.

14. littlewitch66

Threads:
    I thought I would just mention that there are some beautiful free e-cards on facebook. I have put one on my profile and lots of people have responded to it. I didn't think many people would be interested but some people have shared it so it is well worth it.

15. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Creating your own ecard and sharing on facebook, twitter and instagram is a great way to wish people. It saves money as well as shows your creative side. Sending printed cards is a waste of money. I don't think people are doing this these days.

16. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    This is helpful and i hope people will have such a good time like this ahead a lot.