Cutting Off Your Credit Card

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by difrancprod • Apr 10, 2012.

1. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    It's so hard to live without a credit card these days. But if you find yourself already hooked on it and drowning in depths, maybe it's time to give it up. Would you be able to cut off yours?

2. Lieutenant

LieutenantMember

Threads:
    I do not have credit cards. I never really liked them and I built my credit through other ways. So it wouldn't be hard to cut them off since I don't have them.

3. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I had credit cards a few years ago and they started getting out of hand with interest and fees. I ended all of my credit cards and do not have any intention of getting any again. They really are a waste of money in my opinion. If I don't have the cash, I don't buy something. I have saved myself interest payments and fees.

4. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    I did and I'm glad. My kids have them though, but they need them to start out their credit and I help them monitor how they use them and pay them off.

One thing about canceling a credit card though - make sure you tell the issuer to make a note that the card was closed at your request so it doesn't negatively affect your credit report. It has to say closed at customer request, or it looks like the store or bank closed it and that can look bad, like they cut you off, even though they didn't.

5. april222

april222New Member

Threads:
    I'm a little different in that I don't hate my credit card. I have in the past been in trouble with credit cards, however now I pay mine off each month just like it were a net30 account. I use it for my daily purchases throughout the month and I get cash back so in a sense I have made my credit card work for me instead of against me. This of course didn't come naturally and it took many years of trial and error to get to this point.

6. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Like so many people, I've been in trouble with credit cards, and I've learned a hard lesson. These days, I keep one card - the one with the lowest interest rate - for emergencies. I've relinquished the others, and pay off as much as I can each month to bring the balance down. It will take a while, but I will become debt free.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Right this very minute, no, I couldn't. I have always been rather frugal and only used a single credit card in the event of an emergency. Well, emergency happened and I've had to use it, so to cut it off would be cutting off my only lifeline at this point. I will pay it off and go back to not using it again at some point, though, and it won't be any trouble for me then.

8. obadiah

obadiahNew Member

Threads:
    I had credit cards for years when I was a younger woman and all went well. But then after my divorce I relied on them too much and got into trouble so I got rid of all of them. I am in a better position now without the temptation to use them, but I want to be totally debt free and I am not quite there yet. I live on a limited income so I have to budget my money carefully and don't buy anything that I can't afford on the spot. It can be very difficult but in the long run it is worth it.

9. LisaC

LisaCNew Member

Threads:
    I cut my credit card habit about 4 years ago, I ran into some hard times and could not pay them. I did agree on a payment schedule but have not used a credit card in 4 years & I don't think I will ever again. I am now used to the idea of paying cash or using my debit card & if I don't have the money I don't buy it. Yes at times it's hard but for me it really does work out better in the long run.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Credit cards are very convenient and a good powerful tool to help you along, but with great power comes great responsibility lol. I would definitely cut them out if I have dug myself a deep hole already, but I think that's an extreme measure that is best to be saved for an extreme situation. For now, I just enjoy having the convenience and I just try to balance it the best I could. Thankfully, so far there haven't been any tragic credit card stories that have come up for me. :D

11. summerRain

summerRainMember

Threads:
    I do not have credit card but my mom wants me to have one. Just in case that I will be able to get a credit card, I will do my very best to minimize the usage of card. I hate having debts. If I can pay it full, I will.

12. brittanytruskosky

brittanytruskoskyMember

Threads:
    I do not have credit cards because it's such an easy way to get into debt. I am thinking of getting one now to have for emergencies. I have known people who have gone into debt with shopping cards so I have always been very careful about what I sign up for. If your responsible and able to control yourself with the credit card you should have one. A lot of people treat it like free money and then end up messing up big time. Credit cards have interest and you can get yourself in a bad hole.

13. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a credit card, simply because if I did, I know I would get into heeps of trouble with it!