CVS Pharmarcies have announced this - No longer selling cigarettes

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by MrsJones • Oct 31, 2014.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I was watching television and a commercial for CVS came on announcing that their stores will no longer be selling cigarettes. I didn't hear actually when they will stop selling them. This is the first pharmacy that I have heard to do this, are there any other pharmacies that are no longer selling tobacco products?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are quite a few CVS stores that don't sell cigarettes already. I'm not sure it will make a difference as people will still go and find them elsewhere and perhaps not stop there to get all they need.

I think it varies state by state and also the area. In a local area a small branch of CVS doesn't sell cigarettes, but a large store in the city would. At the end of the day, people will go to the local liquor store or 7-Eleven to buy them if they stop stocking them.

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I heard that as well, I was aware when they were discussing it and getting some backlash about it, so I was pleasantly surprised to hear that they actually went through with it. I think it makes a lot of sense, especially for a pharmacy, and I think it's great of them to take a stand on it even when it might not be a popular move with everyone.

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, they announced that months ago. It's supposed to cost them millions of dollars in sales, but they think they can make up for it with more products targeted towards healthcare. I believe there was another pharmacy that was going to do the same, but for some reason, I'm drawing a blank.

5. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    I think this is a great thing because it makes no sense for a pharmacy to sell Tabaco products. Pharmacies are suppose to promote health and medicine to help people get better. A lot more stores need to do the same thing because cigarettes are really bad for you and by places selling these products they are promoting people smoking and getting sick. I'm glad that CVS is taking a stand on selling cigarettes and I'm sure a lot of stores will follow suit once they realize it's the best thing for peoples health.

6. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I heard on the radio that they are trying to make their stores health centers where you can go for a dr appointment, sort of like a clinic. They probably can't have that type of center and sell tobacco on the same premise. They also reported that tobacco is a very small percentage of their sales so it isn't going to hurt them much. I support their decision to stop selling cigarettes because they're so unhealthy.

7. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes they have already enforced this and I think it is great. When we go to the pharmacy we expect to see things that are good for our health. Tobacco products make them look bad. I think they are the only pharmacy doing this right now.

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hopefully this will decrease the amount of secondhand smoke. I don't care if smokers want to smoke but I do care if I breathe it in so that would decrease the chances of someone smoking after they left the store.
    However, I have to say this is slightly hypocritical. In theory it makes sense but a lot of medicines aren't good for you. They're just for the drug makers to make money.