Cylinder or upright vacuum cleaners?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Nov 29, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've resisted Black Friday, but my parents do need a new vacuum cleaner as the one they have is over 20 years old. Now, dad wants a cylinder one as they are smaller, however looking at the ratings most have a C or D carpet cleaning rating and upright are generally A-C. I'm trying to explain to him that a better carpet cleaning rating is better than the compromise in size. They both have a little arthritis and I thinking abut what is best for them long term.

Any advice and opinions please?

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    If it's about arthritis and the weight, then get them a really good stick vacuum as that should be the perfect compromise between the two. The only reason why a canister should really be considered is if they have a lot of stairs, but even then a lot of uprights have so many accessories, that you can work around that. The problem with those will be the weight.

So, look for a light, but good stick vacuum. I have one from Electrolux, but my rug isn't in need of heavy duty vacuuming and I do it all the time. I suggest them, so you can see the style to which I am referring.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks, they have no stairs as it's a bungalow, but I think my dad wanted a small one for storage, even though he built a cabinet to store the upright one. I think the suction and power is more important as it requires less energy and as most have the tubes they can use for corners, then they have the best of both. I just need to convince them of this as they probably don't want to buy another one if they can help it.

4. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    both. I find that upright vacuums are typically more powerful and great for really cleaning carpets while smaller canister and hand held devices are great for tedious tasks like stairs and places that are harder to reach with a full size vacuum.