Dandruff Relief

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by meryliz • Aug 28, 2012.

1. meryliz

merylizMember

Threads:
    I have long hair that I only wash 2-3 times a week with Head & Shoulders shampoo, but I still get an itchy scalp and dandruff. What could I do better?

2. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    Ack! I say that because I have read that dandruff shampoos are very bad for you. Unfortunately, I also suffer from the same problem as you do and I figure that I am missing something from my diet. I began taking a multivitamin, but it is too soon to tell if it will change anything. Does anyone have any natural suggestions for dealing with this problem? I would like to know alternatives to using these harmful shampoos. I hear they strip the color and shine off your hair and they can also contribute to hair loss as well.

3. retnam

retnamMember

Threads:
    Some natural remedies for scalp issues are tea tree oil, neem oil, and aloe vera. They all have healing properties. Research online before using and do a skin patch test to make sure you have no allergies. Tea tree is an essential oil that should be diluted with a carrier oil, like olive oil. Neem oil would be at an Indian market or store and stinks (so I've read). You can also get neem powder which is mixed with water or apple cider vinegar and applied to the hair in a paste then rinsed clean.

There are lots of natural remedies for common health/beauty issues, just be sure to do your research. Hope that helps!

4. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    In the past, I have gotten rid of stubborn dandruff by massaging some lemon juice on my scalp before a shampoo. If you find that too harsh to use directly on your scalp, then add a few drops of olive oil to help moisturize the scalp.

5. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've been told that rinsing with apple cider vinegar will do it. Try putting a dilution of apple cider vinegar into a spray bottle, and spray it into your hair after you shampoo and then rinse it out.

6. dhintaka

dhintakaMember

Threads:
    This is one remedy that I have tried & it has worked. People also use curd on their scalp before shampooing.

7. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I use pine tar hair soap. I wet my hair and rub the bar along my scalp. I leave it on for a few minutes then rinse. I then oil my scalp with tea tree oil and sublimed sulfur with oil. This works very well for me.

8. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My advice would be to stop using shampoo. It strips the hair of its natural oils and causes a dry flaky scalp. Wash your hair with water and moisturise your scalp with olive oil or argan oil. This is what worked for me and I had a dry scalp for years.

9. justbuyflowers

justbuyflowersNew Member

Threads:
    Every once in a week apply lemon juice to your hair it reduces the dandruff.

10. crystalclrs

crystalclrsNew Member

Threads:
    I've found that changing up products can help. I've used a natural brand of dandruff shampoo that has salicylic acid in it. I use it once every 5-6 shampoos - so not every time. I notice if my hair gets too oily, my scalp will itch, and dandruff will follow. For some people, it may be when their scalp gets too dry. Skin problems to be completely resolved need both internal and external aid. So far, I've been working on the external - I wet my hair and use apple cider vinegar straight and pour it on my head and MASSAGE it into my hair/scalp when I step into the shower. I let it work on my hair for around 8 minutes and then I rinse it off and then use a natural baby shampoo. I've been using it every other shower, but not with dandruff shampoo - only with regular shampoo. The apple cider vinegar hasn't cleared up the dandruff totally, but it has controlled it to a great degree - it also leaves ur hair hydrated, full, and shiny. It's simply magical for the hair. For internal aid, I'm starting to eat more nuts for the minerals, zinc and selenium (brazil nuts - take no more than 1-2 a day). I'll have to give it months probably to see the results of that.

11. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    Just change your shampoo. Actually some Anti-Dandruff Shampoos does not help to get rid of dandruff.

12. illusen

illusenNew Member

Threads:
    The remedy that's always worked for me, ever since puberty hit and I started having skin issues that let to dandruff issues, is stinging nettle shampoo or stinging nettle extract. Where I live (Eastern Europe) you can buy them at any pharmacy.

It does wonders for the scalp and helps with dandruff. Once the problem is solved you can go back to using your regular shampoo till you need the miracle shampoo again.

13. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You might also want to be tested for vitamin and mineral deficiency as this can cause dry skin. Magnesium deficiency is common as magnesium is hard to obtain from food and it would cause your skin to be dry and inflamed.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It could be the time of year too. I only get it in the spring. I use a few things every now and then.. like apple cider vinegar. I dilute about a third of a cup with enough water to rinse my hair with. I wash my hair as usually, then poor the vinegar over my head and immediately wrap a towel around my head and let it sit for about an hour. Then I rinse it out. Or you could massage some olive oil onto your scalp and let it site for an hour or so before washing your hair. I also use baking soda in my shampoo about once a week. Make sure to rinse that really well or instead of dandruff, you'll have baking soda residue lol. And last, don't believe marketing in commercials and on bottles. Find reviews from real people online for everything you put on your body. They're out there and they're helpful. You'll also find out that way that Head & Shoulders is a no no.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From my experience, Nizoral worked better than Head And Shoulders in removing dandruff, so I suggest that you try it.