Dealing With Lowe's

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by MMercury • Aug 28, 2015.

1. MMercury

MMercuryNew Member

Threads:
    We recently hired a contractor from Lowe's to install some windows in the outdoor enclosed deck area. Never again will we go to them for any work that we can't do ourselves. First of off, the contractor doesn't work for Lowe's which meant we were liable if he injured himself on our property or anything like that. Then, the contract said we would get a trim around the windows and that never happened. The people at Lowe's are saying that it isn't necessary so they won't do it. It has been a little more than a month since the windows were poorly installed and these things have still not been resolved. It almost feels like they are just stalling until we give up and go away. We can't get a clear answer from anyone. We already talked to the manager at the store but we are considering now talking to someone higher up.

Any advice?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    That sucks, and I'm sorry for your experience, but also glad you shared it with everyone else on here as a heads up to avoid them. It sounds like Lowe's has some arrangement in place where they simply get some sort of commission per lead with local contractors and handymen to send them business. The local independent workers benefit by piggy backing on the brand familiarity and consumer trust of Lowe's and Lowe's makes some extra money by giving out referrals to their consumers. But the problem is when something goes wrong, Lowe's isn't going to care less about the consumer because they've already made their money, they're going to point you to the third party workers for recourse and wash their hands of the deal. It's kind of like when you get a store branded credit card, it's really the financial institution you need to file grievances with - the store is merely getting a kickback for referring you.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If Lowe's passed a third-party contractor onto you, then that's not their fault for you not reading the terms and conditions of the agreement. Now, you might have an argument if the contractor isn't licensed and doesn't have insurance, but you're wrong about not being covered for accidents on the contractor's part, if that's a legitimate contractor with a license. I feel like this is a bit of everyone's fault: Lowe's for doing something stupid with contractors and you for not really knowing what you were getting into due to whatever reason.

4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Sounds like a pretty crappy situation. I'd definitely find my own contractor in the future. Talk to a bunch of them, ask around and come to an informed decision. Lowe's isnt the best place to get a contractor. As a big company I dont think they are as concerned with quality as much as a smaller place would be.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @MMercury@MMercury Sorry, that's not a good situation. I hope the windows aren't leaking, as that could lead to property damage, and I hope they're securely installed, or that could be a security issue. Was the installer a licensed contractor? That's the first thing I would check. You should have the person/company's name from a business card or contract, and can check online with your state licensing board that oversees contractors, and find out if he is in fact licensed, and holds insurance/bond. I'd also check with the Better Business Bureau, to see if other complaints have been lodged against the person/company. If you're not able to come to an agreement with the person/company to rectify the issue, contact the consumer protection branch of your state's Attorney General's office, and they should be able to at least advise you, if not do something about the situation.

#5Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
  6. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    @MMercury@MMercury I have never had them do anything for me, and probably won't now after reading this. That is so wrong, I would go to someone further up the ladder.

#6Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015