Deals That Weren't Really Deals?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by TheViper • Jul 3, 2016.

1. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever run into what seemed like a great deal until you actually paid attention? I'm talking about seeing those deals that say 70% from their original price. When in fact the original price is actually a hiked up price that is than discounted. Giving you the deception of getting some great deal when really you could be paying what the item actually cost. You also have the discount deals that than have shipping over $10 which makes the "deal" not really worth. What were some deals you've found that weren't really deals?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the UK by law a company must state if an item was priced lower and the dates that price applied. These days there are so many deals you have to read the small print. You may get a discount, but you then can't get free shipping or something, so there is a catch.

I'm more skeptical these days, and that's why I don't like 24 hour deals because you need time to check if it is a good deal or not, and sometimes that can take an hour or so.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's exactly what most retailers do. They know that slapping a discount on a product will get it bought. And the way to avoid being duped is by actually doing some research to find out what the product costs online. Once you do you'll have a rough idea what it would cost in a brick and mortar store and can tell whether you actually are getting a discount.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, and watching prices over time will allow you to know if you are getting a deal or not. One famous trick of retailers is to hike prices up for a short period of time, and then mark them down, so they can legimately say 25 percent off or whatever. However, the marked down price might be higher than what the original price was. I tend to buy things when they are at their lowest price over time.

5. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I don't remember what store it was but it was a clothing store that was closing down and everything was 60-80 percent off so everyone rushed in to buy some articles for those ''deals.'' The first thing I noticed was that everything's original price was A LOT more than what originally would seem to be like instead of 30 dollars for jeans, it was 90 dollars, for 20 dollar shoes, it was 70 dollars and so on. All the deal did was bring the prices down to their normal price.