Decaffeinated Coffee

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Dec 11, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually have a bit of a hard time getting to sleep at night so I have more or less given up drinking coffee at any point during the day. Sometimes I still miss the taste though so I often either buy decaf instant coffee or I order one at a coffee shop. I don't really taste any difference between the decaf and regular but I sometimes wonder if it really is decaf when order something because I could never distinguish it by taste alone.

Anyway, I'd love to hear of some of your thoughts on decaf coffee. Do you taste the difference between it and regular type? Do you have favorite decaf coffee brands or shops to get it from in particular?

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Caffeine should be tasteless, so logically there wouldn't be any discernible difference in taste. However I don't see the point in drinking decaf coffee, the main reason I drink coffee is to help me become more awake thanks to caffeine. I feel that there are better tasting drinks out there if you don't want the effect of caffeine.

3. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I used to drink any coffee regardless of the brand or whether it is decaf or not. I have also tried black coffee without sugar. Since I was diagnosed with hypertension, my doctor advised me to avoid coffee, and if I cannot avoid it, then I must drink decaf coffee only. I really cannot tell the difference between decaf or regular, they taste the same to me.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also can't taste much of a difference, to be honest. But I'll still always choose real coffee over decaf, anyway. I'd feel like i was wasting money if I bought decaf LOL maybe it's just a mental thing.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can taste the difference and I don't see the point of decaf. To me decaf is like having a diet version of a soda. I like strong coffee and as I only drink espresso, not many places do decaf espressos as most people would recoil at the thought!. I know some people like it, but it's not for me and never will be. I would rather drink plain water than have a cup of decaffeinated coffee.

6. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Coffee should be tasteless?

I don't think that is even remotely true in any regard. There isn't a real difference in taste with decaf and regular to me.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I can definitely taste the difference between regular coffee and defcaf. I don't think it's necessarily because of the caffeine itself, it's the method in which the coffee has the caffeine removed which affects the taste of it. The beans are generally soaked in a chemical cocktail of solvents.

The best way I can think to describe it is that it tastes sort of flat - regular coffee has a bit more of a complex flavor of bitterness and a slight fruitiness.

That said, even decaf has some traces of caffeine in it, it's not 100% free of it. If I was overly sensitive to it, I probably wouldn't drink coffee or black tea at all. Especially if I was having sleeping problems. Because aside from the caffeine itself, there is also likely somewhat of a psychological component to drinking coffee. In other words, if you drank regular for years, then switched to decaf, your body might start gearing up for anticipation of a caffeine rush when you have a sip of decaf - which could also keep you awake. Artificial sweetener kind of does the same thing, it tricks your body into trying to metabolize it as sugar, even though it's not actual sugar.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I drink coffee because of the effect of the caffeine on me, so I think it would be at all pointless to drink a decaffeinated one. Although I really like the smell, I don't drink it for pleasure. If I don't need caffeine, I wouldn't drink it. By the way, I drink coffee just as it is after being brewed, without anything else.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well there is a difference in taste between decaf and regular coffee. I don't know if others have noticed but aside from the milder aroma, decaf coffee has the same feel as sugar-free coffee. Maybe because an ingredient was removed and you're left with a feeling that something is missing. It also has a thinner taste compared to regular caffeinated coffee, which tends to be thicker and richer.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Decafe and caffinated coffee affects everyone differently. It does not matter to me one way or the other. If you are trying to limit the amount of caffine you comsume you may want to look at other foods like chocolate which also has caffine.