Deceived By An Anti-virus - Any Stories?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Jason76 • Nov 19, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    The anti-virus I had seemed good, but lately, there had been these blue screens which would restart my computer. Note, I figured it was just a symptom of an old computer, considering mine was bought in 2011. However, though, once I tried Avg anti-virus, the problem disappeared. In that case, I now think it was the anti-virus.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, my pal installed COMODO and it's free. I have a problem with my cursor. I've installed touchfreeze. When I am on my laptop, I continually run COMODO, and everything goes smoothly. Microsoft has a builtin protection, but you've got to manually install it when you find it in your controls, called Defender. Defender is very good too, but unlike COMODO it doesn't tell you when the scan is over. I have no problems when I run either, but I run COMODO more often for it tells me when the scan is done, so I can run the full scan again. If I don't run it, my cursor doesn't work at all dancing all over my laptop. I have found another free product to protect my laptop from ransom ware, called RansomFree from Cybereason...this is also free. With your protection and the ones I've mentioned computers will be safest. I've tried what you've installed, it works very good, but they want you to buy it eventually and remind you constantly about buying it. COMODO, Defender and RansomFree don't remind you about buying, works great and you've got to update though, then you'll be very protected always. Happy Holidays.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our home desktop uses free anti-virus protection. But we only avail of software with good reputation like Avast and AVG. Yeah, I’ve heard of an anti-virus that hangs the computer when there is too much traffic in the browser. And although I don’t think the technical problem is intentional, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Rely only on popular free software of any kind.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    AVG's free thing is only limited, though, but it does have a lot. However, the extra ransomware and anti-hacking protection might be worth it. What do you people think are the pros and cons of getting good stuff, but not the best? Myself, I'd say you get what you pay for.

5. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I have a lot of bad experience with Antivirus companies such as Kaspersky and Norton. They seem to be making a lot of system issues. And it continues this way even to date. Very annoying anti viruses. I am having good experience with the AVG so far. And it works too. So I am not going to change to any other antivirus for now. Because it's not going to be much worth it.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried several free anti-virus program or app. They have cleaned my computer of the virus which infect it. What I have tried are AVG, Avast, among others. I have tried one in the web. It has a very good review. I tried its trial but to my dismay it has a lot of things to do. You have give them your personal data including your card number, your PayPal, and everything. It seems it is a suspicious virus removal app. I didn't continue registering. I was a having a problem on how to delete its remaining files from my computer for it keeos bothering me when I am online. I receive their pop up reminders. I want to clean my computer of their files in it.

7. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    The way most anti-virus operate is deceptive. First, they come with most Windows computers disabling Microsoft anti-virus that is perfectly good. Even so, they come in trial mode, meaning that after one month they will start asking us for money to be safe... It's just very aggressive marketing, and I see it as a form of deception.

8. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    There was a time where I downloaded microsoft essentials and it really didn't meet up to all my expectations and sort of let me down. I think to save your computer, time and money you should try to look at the reviews of an anti-virus software. Reviews both within comments and videos.

9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I cannot really point to any thing in particular or any event, but I do know that there were promises made that were absolutely not kept on their end. It seems like there is so much information out there though that it is also hard to keep up.

10. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    You weren't necessarily deceived. Your previous anti-virus might have had some sort of conflict with other software or the OS itself, which could have caused the blue screen, although that is more often an indication of faulty drivers/failing hardware than anything else. Anyway, I experienced nothing of that sort - I've had some antivirus programs constantly report false positives, but that's about it.