Defrosting Car Windscreens In Icy Weather

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by littlewitch66 • Nov 4, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    The cold weather is about to hit us and we will soon be back to clearing our car windscreens. Very modern cars might have a defrosting function but for those of us with older cars what is the best way to removed ice? Tipping water on it might be the cheapest but if it's really cold it starts icing up again immediately. Which is the most effective way?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dad always used the warm water method as it's tried and tested. Have you tried using one of those shield? In the US when it's snow season everyone uses them when they go out shopping as the windscreens get iced up within minutes. They do help and are worth investing in. Maybe keep a flask of hot water in the car just in case?

3. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I'd probably try a de-icer because hot water simply freezes again. However, though, I suppose if you could dry the water immediately after throwing it on there that would work. Anyway, the best solution would be to simply put the vehicle under something like a carport or perhaps put sheets over it, anything to keep ice from forming, to begin with.

4. littlewitch66

Threads:
    @Jason76@Jason76 Yes this is what I've found and it takes twice as long. I cannot park my car outside my house as it is along a footpath so I have to keep running backwards and forwards with containers of water and it is frozen up again by the time I get back with a new one! The only thing with de-icer is my partner tells me it can damage the paintwork on a car bonnet which worries me a little. I'm not sure if this is true.

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    My de-icing with hot water works sometimes, but on the really tough ice, no. However, it's always amazed me how easy it is to prevent the situation. I mean, it could be below 0 degrees Celsius and a car port still keeps the frost off.

6. littlewitch66

Threads:
    I have a windscreen cover which helps as it covers the front side windows too but sometimes I haven't realised that we are going to have a frost so I don't put it on in time. They are a good idea and save a lot of scraping if you have to go out early in the morning.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Another thing that you can do is to start the car sooner before you are leaving, and turn on the defrost full blast. In the winter, it is recommended that you let your vehicle warm up for about 5 minutes anyway, even though many times, we just start it and rush off before the car engine has totally warmed up.
    We carry an ice scraper in the winter, although unless it is very cold here, we often do not need it. Usually just letting the car warm up takes care of everything we need.
    We have to park the car out in the driveway, so we can’t put it under a carport, but we have put a plastic tarp over the windshield when we are supposed to have an ice storm, and that helps the ice from forming on the windshield.
    Another thing that helps your car in the winter, is to use gasoline that does not have ethanol in it. It costs more, but it definitely helps the engine in our old car run better, so I put the non-ethanol gas in at least every other time that I put gas in the car.

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I'd say the best option when there is no carport is to put a tarp over the car. It seems like a no-brainer and much easier than warming the car up - or maybe not. What do you all think?

Anyway, I'm sure people in colder climates like Canada or the northern US put tarps over their cars more than other people.