Designer clothing for kids.

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Lostvalleyguy • Apr 28, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I was noticing a shop by me that sells clothing for kids. In the window they had designed brand clothes on sale. These clothes were still well above the price I would pay for kid's clothing. I have a difficult time justifying these prices for adults but kids will grow out of these items so quickly that it makes the purchase of these items seem even more ludicrous. The kids don't care at such a young age and if they do, you are probably creating a monster.

Does it make sense to dress up children in clothing made by designers or is it better to save the money for more important things?

2. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    If my kids have a very special occasion to go to, yes, I'll justify the cost for a very nice outfit. On the other odd days, I'll shop at way much cheaper stores for clothes. The Children's Place, Old Navy and K-Mart are my clothes shopping stores. I pass all my children's clothes down to my nieces and nephews so I know they get quite a bit of use.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't think designer clothes are worth it at all, especially for kids. I understand wanting kids to look nice, but I think it's ridiculous to spend $100 on any given outfit unless it's a super special occasion (such as being the flower girl for a wedding and needing a fancy dress). Otherwise, it's just silly.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I see no point in buying designer clothes for kids since they tend to out grow them so quickly. I don't have kids yet but I do make plans. And those plans include buying cheaper brands of clothes, at least until they stop growing. You don't need expensive clothes for your kids to look good, just use your good taste and you're all set. One should focus the money towards things like education and better food - the kids will be thankful in the future :)

5. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    Kids grow out of their clothing so quickly that designer brands never made sense to me when my kids were little. I will admit that there were a few exceptions, like when my daughter was a flower girl and for their baptism. But other than that, the vast majority of the clothes that my kids wore were either Walmart clothes or things that I had gotten second hand.

6. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to save the money for more important things when my baby grows older. I would not spend so much money on kids clothing unless there is a very special occasion she has to attend. I don't mind spending more money on more expensive diapers though.

7. siennaneumann

siennaneumannNew Member

Threads:
    You have to think first what are the pros and cons of buying a designer dress for your children.Positive aspects is that you get your children dressed in the finest clothing which they deserve.Your friends will notice that your children are able to get good quality clothing.The negative side is and a biggest con for many parents is the price of designer dresses,with the rising price of gases,expenses of diapers,toys its bad decision to spend excess on designer clothes.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In my own opinion, it's better to save your money on more important things like for the educational insurance of your kid that might be beneficial later on in his life. And after that he gets a good education, he's likely to have a good job. When he already has a good job, then he would be able to afford and appreciate those designer clothes he's not dressed with when he was just a kid and see if it really matters for him to wear them. Besides, designer clothes are just clothes. You can have other clothes of different names of a cheaper price. So it's not practical to shell out money for those for a kid. If you are well off, and you have more than enough money to not save for something, then yes, you could have it, why not? It's merely a status symbol and you deserve it only if you're rich.

9. Dolson910

Dolson910Member

Threads:
    Heck no! I think it is crazy to overspend on kid's clothes. My kids are so rough on their clothes: holes and stains. They also grow out of things so quickly. I just can't imagine spending money on something so frivolous. I actually do quite the opposite. We love taking hand me downs and I even purchase clothes second hand from resell stores or Ebay. I would much rather save the money and put it in their college funds or take them to see new places or vacations.

10. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Let's not even mention the fact that that lovely designer dress that you spent oh so much money on is going to fit them for what, a month? Two?

11. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    They'll grow out of them so quickly. I don't see the point in it. I can understand the situation from a company's point of view: if people want them, they'll buy them! Oh, and they'll like them so much that once they grow out of them, they'll buy even more. Instant profit.

For people like me, however, I understand that it's not important whether the clothing is a brand label or not. A quick trip to the thrift store can get you 10 outfits for the price of 1 brand-name one. Plus, have you seen all the clothes for kids in the thrift stores? They're super clean and super cheap! That's because they grow out of them so fast, so they're like brand new. I've bought Christmas gifts for new moms and dads like this. Some even have the tags still on them.

12. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Buying designer clothes for kids is never for the kids or about the kids. It's about the parents' way of showing off that they can afford these things. Kids grow up really fast and one or two days of wearing them say on Sunday school, and on the third time of wearing them, over the period of 3 months, they have grown out of it. So no, not even practical to say the least.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I tend not to care because it's not like they will remember it anyway. I think those brands and items are made just for those who have way too much money to burn through, but even then, I am surprised at what people are willing to spend on for something so seemingly benign. I'd maybe consider it for some special occasions where I'd like the kids to look nice, but other than that, I wouldn't really even consider it for a whole wardrobe, even if I were rich.