Desktop Computers: Build Or Buy?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by nuekboi • May 26, 2016.

?

Computers: Build or Buy

1. Build

66.7%
  2. Buy

33.3%
  1. nuekboi

nuekboiNew Member

Threads:
    When getting a new desktop PC for whatever do you guys usually prefer to buy a pre-built PC or buying individual parts and building one? In my opinion building is infinitely better because its usually much cheaper, and much more fun. You also learn a lot more about your computer if you build one and you'll be much better equipped to troubleshoot any problems that come your way

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you are young and have lots of spare time, I would suggest that you buy components and assemble your computer system by yourself. I agree that you will learn more on the technical side by doing that. However, for busy people like me, I don't think I have the effort to do the shopping of electronic devices. My first question is the compatibility. So I'd rather buy a whole set that is running with an installed OS already. That would save me time... and effort.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you can build your computer then it would be cheaper to buy components and build yourself a powerful machine. However if building isn't something you can do or learn then buy refurbished. That way you'd be getting a new computer but won't be paying full-price for it.

4. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    I saved hundreds by doing this in the past. I also gained another few hundreds by assembling others' desktops. :)
    My point being, there's always a way for you to get an item cheaper than it's shown somewhere, you just got to figure it out. Now it really depends whether, in this context, assembling a desktop is more worth than spending a couple of bucks more and have someone do it for you.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My son might be able to do this, but I wouldn't even attempt it. I don't know anything about electricity, and little about the internal workings of the computer. I will leave it to others to build my computers thank you however, I will continue to look for deals. This is the way to get the best of both worlds I think.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no knowledge of building PC's, so I'm left with buying brand new or 2nd hand PC's. I have wanted to learn how to build PC's, but I never had the time to study how to do it. It seems like a daunting task.

7. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I have the "know how" knowledge to build my own PC that suits my needs. I know which hardware is suitable, how to connect them, formatting, setup and customize an Operating System, install drivers etc. I don't need to pay extra cash to someone able to do it for me.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think building your own computer is the best option as it's what I always hear. I myself have never built one but I have tinkered with some of my older desktops back in the day and it does seem to be less daunting than what most people might imagine. What I think would be the harder part is actually tracking down where the individual pieces can be bought for cheaper, and maybe also finding out how compatible all parts are but even then these tasks still aren't extremely difficult and definitely worth the time because you get to save lots of money in return and also you will need to rely less on experts if some minor problem arises.

9. jonthai

jonthaiMember

Threads:
    It depends. If you want a desktop computer with your own specifications and designed your way , then you should build yourself one , although you need knowledge and extra money if you want it your way. Instead , if you buy one , it can be just as good as the one you built , but you don't have it designed it your way. It's up each individual to choose if they want it customized or not , but be aware that a customized one can cost way more.