Desktop Computers

Discussion in Product Reviews started by roy835 • Oct 13, 2014.

1. roy835

roy835Member

Threads:
    I have a laptop and a desktop computer. I find that I use the desktop a whole lot more than the desktop. So far I have no plans whatsoever to upgrade to one of those pad type computers. I have also heard that desktops may be getting ready to be obsolete. I really would not want that because to me desktop computers have many advantages over any other forms of computers that I have seen. I like desktops much better in some ways because it seems to be so much more safe for the poster of the human body. I don't seem to have that kind of safety when using my laptop. Laptops do have there advantages too, but so far I use my desktop much more. So, to all computer makers out there, please do not allow the desktop to go obsolete any time soon.

2. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    We have both as well, but I find myself using my desktop much more than my laptop. I know the laptop is much more convenient and can be moved around, but I just feel better at my desk. I work from home as well so my office is set up with my desktop so I guess I'm just used to it.
    I hope they never make laptops a thing of the past... college kids would be sooo sad !!!!

Danyel :)

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I like the comfort of the desktop, but I do not have the space to have one. I like that laptops can be put away in small spaces like a drawer when they need to be out of the way and safe. If I had the space for a desktop, it would be nice to have one of those too, but I doubt I do anything so fancy on my computer that I would need a desktop to have the capabilities necessary. I mostly just browse the web and post on sites and twitter and check email and such.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Laptops have a short life-span. That's one reason why I hate them. After two or three years, you'd need to replace your laptop. Second, you can't replace or upgrade many of the laptops parts unlike a desktop computer. It's because of those two reasons and many others [which aren't listed here] that I prefer to use/buy a desktop computer anytime.

5. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    As long as there are gamers in the world, I doubt the desktop would go obsolete. :) Sure, laptops are getting more and more powerful, but desktops will always be one step ahead.

Plus, as you said, the form factor just agrees much more to long term use. :)

6. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer the desktop as well, there are just some things that you can't trust a laptop to do as competently like gaming for example.
    the added mobility of the laptop doesn't really attract me, I sit at a computer all day at work and then get home and get on the computer, so when don't I have a desktop available?

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I haven't used desktops in a long time but I agree that they are very useful and sturdy and shouldn't be done away with. Although, I've noticed laptops are getting more and more advanced over the years and it probably is only a matter of time until they catch up totally to desktops. So far, the only thing I dislike about laptops is their price because for the same specs you could get it for a lot cheaper on a desktop, but like I said it probably is only a matter of time before they close the gap on that one.

8. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I have no problem with desktop computers. In fact, I'm on one right now. I don't think they'll become obsolete because there will always be a need for them in a business setting. Banks, telemarketing agencies and various other businesses use them. Families often like to buy a family desktop computer so they can keep track of what their kids are viewing. Personally I prefer mac desktops to PC's. But I think the affordability of PC's these days is very attractive for a lot of families. Laptops and desktops both have their advantages and disadvantages but I don't see them becoming obsolete any time soon.

9. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Desktops are better overall, because it lasts longer and one can modify the heck out of all the hardware and software. Laptops are more for people who are always on the go somewhere or someplace - I prefer to use tablets or smart-phones for this instead. Also, laptops are prone to overheat easily and shutdown a lot; some require a working battery or it will not work at all!

However, I do like those laptops with detachable keyboards, because its like a hybrid between desktop and laptop. Overall, I'll stick with my good ole trust worthy desktop, until it breaks and eventually I'll move onto one of those detachable laptops... or purchase a new desktop and enjoy it for another decade.

10. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think the desktop will become obsolete as there are many different ways that people are using them at home, home media being one of the biggest examples. However, I don't think you'll find as many taking up shelf space in stores and that's probably a good thing. The people that really want and need a specific desktop will be online looking for it or building their own, so there isn't as much profit for a business to lose that space to something that won't sell.

11. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    It seems like a lot of people are tending towards the belief that the desktops will be phased out soon...I think they might hold on a little longer than people give them credit for. However, right now we don't have the space for one, so it's just laptops in our home.

12. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm telling you, I think desktops are starting to become obsolete for sure, I know they are for me. The only thing I use it for is to hook up the router so I can easily use my laptop. I wish they would figure out a way to have wireless internet for your laptops for your laptops without needing to hook the router to a desktop computer.

13. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you think that desktop computers are going to become obsolete, then you know little about computers. Desktop machines last longer than laptops and tablets, they're upgradeable in every sense of the word, and they offer far more power than laptops. For businesses and individuals alike, a desktop is far more secure than a laptop or tablet or mobile phone. Laptops won't replace desktops for good until they can match their overall lifespan and durability, their upgradeable nature, and other factors. That won't happen anytime soon.