Desktop VS Tablets

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by SarahLizzie • May 15, 2012.

1. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    Which do you prefer, desktops or tablets/ I have both. I have an iMac that we purchased back in February. The screen is large enough to be a television screen! Though I am still getting used to how to execute majority of the functions.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. Which I must say, is extremely nice to have. Though the functionality is not to the same extent of a desktop, I am still able to carry out most of my normal computing activities. If I had to pick which one I preferred, I would still have to say the good ole' desktop. In my opinion there are more tasks that can be completed at a quicker rate on the desktop than on a device such as a tablet. At least this is my opinion, and most likely revolves around where my comfort zone lies.

2. ljepilo

ljepiloActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I prefer Desktop always.I have bought one like 6 months ago and it serves me really great.Desktops were always my first choice and they will always be.Tablets are just for fun.

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Neither for me. I have not used a desktop in like 10 years maybe. And I am just not connecting with the tablets, no matter how hard I try. I am a massive fan of the new notebooks, netbooks and (now) ultrabooks. They are light, easy to carry around and very user-friendly...and becoming more and more attractive!

It is important that I can play, work and move around with my computer...and notebooks allow for all of those and more.

4. Shaggz235

Shaggz235Member

Threads:
    Comparing a tablet with a desktop is a stretch. The desktop will always have more computing power. I enjoying gaming so I have to go with the desktop. Comparing a tablet with a laptop would be a better discussion I think. But in the end the laptop will have more functionality so once again I have to pick the laptop. Typing on a keyboard is faster (I know you can buy them for a tablet but it will just cost you more), processing speeds are faster, having usb/cd drives is better.

I can't see tablets ever overcoming laptops unless they essentially make the tablets pretty much the same as a laptop.

5. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    I'd take a tablet over a desktop any day just for the portability of it. However, I'd take a laptop over anything else. Still, I really love my tablet. I have an Acer Iconia A100 7 inch tablet and it recently got updated to Android 4.0. I just love it! I have a keyboard app called Swiftkey and they have a version specifically for tablets. It's made typing a breeze.

6. MEGATRUCK

MEGATRUCKMember

Threads:
    I have a cheap 70$ tablet that I only use while I'm in bed or quickly looking something up. At this day and age, tablets can still be a little slow, and the ones that are up-to-par with desktops are generally the most expensive. Currently desktops and laptops currently reign supreme. Laptops may get replaced by tablets, but desktops will always remain. I personally don't want an age of tablets, as I much prefer the use of a tangible mouse and keyboard, rather than some of the flawed touch-keyboards that come with mobile devices.

7. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    It is good to have a tablet but it is better to have a high end desktop. Tablets are good for playing fun games but it is not that well powered and slower compared to desktops. Plus desktops are upgradable but tablets aren't/ They have a fix memory and processor and you can only update softwares. You buy tablet today, you have to dump it a year after because of some many new and cheaper tablets with higher specs that you have.

8. GGGuardian

GGGuardianMember

Threads:
    I prefer Tablets as of right now. In my opinion Tablets are the future and there is no going back. Everything is getting more advanced and more slim. Tablets these days are very powerful. Some are even as powerful as a normal desktop.Tablets will definitely be around in the future. I love my Acer tablet. It gives me the same functionality as a desktop but in the palm of my hands. Very light and transportable you gotta love technology these days.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer a laptop for flexibility and mobility. I will always have a desktop computer. They are a bit easier to work on. Personally, I don't see the attraction of tablets unless you're into gaming and watching videos.

10. freelove89

freelove89New Member

Threads:
    The laptop is the best of both worlds for me. Being able to run programs smoothly and fast, but while being portable is ideal. If I lived in a place for longer than a year however, I would probably buy a desktop for better performance.

11. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I'd say laptop too if you are looking for mobility. I haven't had a desktop in years, and I tried going to tablet only, but that lasted all of a week. It would probably depend on what you use it for and how often you use it. Sometimes it's just frustrating to do something on such a small screen when you know it'd be so much quicker to type it up on a bigger screen with a real keyboard.

12. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Depends on what you use them for. I prefer desktops because they still can do a lot more than tablets can, especially Android tablets.

13. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I have an iMac desktop, a macbook pro, and an iPad. They all of their place and I enjoy all of them for different reasons. I really enjoy reading the news and such on my iPad and I also enjoy how light and easy it is to travel and fly with. But I couldn't just trade in my macbook pro and only I have the iPad because I do a lot of professional video and photography work that the iPad alone couldn't handle.

14. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer a desktop as well (which is why I'm sitting at a desktop in the library right now) but I don't own one. The tablet I find to be cheaper, more convenient and more portable. I couldn't go through the trouble and expense of setting up a desktop computer and then paying a monthly bill for internet service, when I could just pay a one-time fee for a tablet, carry it around in my purse, and use it whenever I have a wifi connection.

That being said, here I am, at the library, working on a desktop, haha!

15. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    You can do more with a desktop, than using a tablet. Don't get me wrong I like the tablets, but it has limited functionality. There are some tablets with a variety of features, but I'm not sure if they have Microsoft word. If there was a tablet that had a good writing program, I would choose it over a desktop. I personally use a laptop for my job. Desktops are bulky and they don't allow you to travel with them. The tablet is portable, but it lacks some functionality. My vote is for a desktop if I had to choose one.

16. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    MS Office will be available for Android and iOS in a couple of months, according to Microsoft. I agree though, laptops are much more convenient for a job. But Windows 8 tablets... those will be the next big thing!

17. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I much prefer desktops because the main computer programs I run are all things like Photoshop, image-editing programs, and things that take up a lot of resources I just don't have on a tablet. Honestly, it will be a fine day when Apple will release an iPad that can support actual Photoshop while running 4 other applications.

18. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I haven't had a desktop for years - I'm a convert to laptops. Friends say that tablets are marvellous, but I'm not so sure. I prefer the bigger screen and keyboard that the laptop provides, although an iPad would be more portable. It depends what you want to use them for. I'm a freelance writer, and my laptop is my tool of the trade. I can't see an iPad being able to cope with the demands of my work, although it's on my birthday wish list.

19. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've found that my tablet has actually made blogging much easier for me. Previously, I'd either be chained to one location, or I'd jot things down in my notebook and then type them up when I was ready to blog them. Now, I have a tablet with a notebook-style app, which allows me to write complete blog entries literally anywhere, and then copy-and-paste them into my blog when I get a wifi connection. Also, I'm able to take, watermark, resize, and store pictures, which obviously I can't do in my notebook.

20. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    I will stick to a desktop until they quit making them, which has been predicted in a few years. It just seems to me that tablets will be more expensive, and less functional than a desktop with a monitor, speakers, printer and so forth. What good are those other than they are portable?