Destop Computer vs. Laptop Computer

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by ssamcd • Aug 14, 2012.

1. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    I know the Laptop computer has the convenience of being able to take it with you. I seem to prefer a desktop. I feel that it is stronger and would last longer. I am not very up to date on computers so I wonder what is your opinion. Is a desktop more sturdier than a laptop or are they really both the same?

2. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I would say a desktop is more sturdier because it stays in one location. I travel a lot so my laptop is always on the go and it has fallen a few times as well. As far as specs they both can be built according to what you want. My desktops has always lasted longer than my laptops because they are not used a frequent as my laptop.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My laptops are ThinkPads and they are very durable. They take a lot of abuse and travel well. I have a ThinkPad that's probably 6 years old and it still runs well.

Outside of ThinkPads, I would say that desktop computers are more durable, but honestly, they are pretty stationary. Laptops have are mobile and more likely to experience accidents.

4. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I have both and do find that the desktop has longer longevity. I think this is in part to more storage space and less wear and tear than a laptop. Laptops are great however because I use so much they don't last as long as a desktop.

5. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    If you want the biggest bang for your buck go with building your own desktop. It's not difficult, there's plenty of resources online, and it will save you a TON of money. Go with a core i5 rather than a core i7, nothing you toss at a higher end core i5 will eat it alive (games-wise). 8GB RAM (DDR3). Solid state drive (look at slickdeals.net as they post deals on SSD's pretty regularly). The component you want to put the most money in is a graphics card. I would aim for $200-300 as it will have a HUGE impact on performance, and you can always add a 2nd one later.

6. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    As a matter of fact, I've had this laptop I'm on right now for close to five years and it has lasted longer than all of my previous desktops. Laptops are wonderful; I can take it to any part of the apartment, bring with me when I'm on assignments and if I have to move then I can just put it in my bag without having to worry about cables, massive towers, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't laptops cheaper than desktops? I always recommend a laptop to anyone in the market for a new computer.

7. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    Laptops performance-wise are more expensive actually, a 1000$ desktop is much more powerful than a 1000$ laptop.

8. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    I definitely prefer desktop computers overall. Maybe it's because I've been a little spoiled by a 21.5 inch widescreen compared to the 15 on my laptop. I like both though but if I'm on a laptop for a long time, I end up missing the desktop. Never really the other way around.

9. melissa

melissaMember

Threads:
    If durability is your issue then go with the laptop actually ;) Laptops I find are made to be alot more durable than a desktop as the manufaturers (sp) expect you to drop your laptop once or so ;) Dells I find are the best in durability.

10. Cyrup

CyrupMember

Threads:
    Desktop.
    Laptop is great, but if you're someone like me who spends a lot of time on the computer (Work, games, etc), then I'm aiming for both.

However I love my desktop to be the "beastiest" most powerful thing I can own. I use my current desktop mostly for Film Production, so it needs to be pretty powerful. I also love gaming, & I run a YouTube channel, so it's excellent to have a strong computer to deal with all this. I just can't stand doing anything I do on a Laptop. Even if you don't start with a brilliant Desktop, it's still easy to build/invest in Hardware to make it better. With laptops it's not really worth the time.

Although in all honesty I'd love to have a laptop, probably a Macbook Pro if I was given the chance. Convenience would be why. :)

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a huge fan of these new "All In One" desktop computers that are on the market these days. The screens are huge, and have more accurate color than many laptops. They hardly take up any desk space, no more hulking tower standing over to the side. But the best part about them is that there is only ONE wire, the power cord, to plug in. That's it, no more maze of wires and plugs dangling behind your desk. I also feel that I get less neck strain and I'm generally more productive when I'm working at a desktop computer using a full size keyboard and a mouse.

12. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what you need really. For me, I prefer laptops for office work and doing projects because of the reason that it is portable. You can work anywhere and it is wireless of coarse. On the other hand, I would choose desktop for gaming because I think that we could easily customize it's features and specifications. In other words, it is easily to upgrade desktops than laptops to cater for our gaming requirements.

13. vaericke

vaerickeNew Member

Threads:
    It actually depends, when you need something which will last till up to 5 years or so, then you should definitely go for desktop since the hardware of a desktop computer is really for long time use as compared to a laptop that is built only for portability and travel especially also for homework and other works that you do outside of your home.

14. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer desktop as well. I don't know why, but laptop doesn't really fit me. I find it more.. uncomfortable and bothersome than an actual desktop PC. :)

15. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    What it comes down to is how much processing power you need and what you are going to be doing on your computer. If you're into gaming and want to game for hours then go with a Desktop, but if you're always on the go and just check your e-mail or FB page then go with a laptop. Also think about how much time you'll be on it. You will be charging up that laptop battery like there is no tomorrow.

16. guidedessensations

guidedessensationsNew Member

Threads:
    I would say laptops.. because they are easy to carry anywhere u want

17. trebla

treblaNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer using my laptop. I can bring this gadget everywhere, and I don't have to use all those cables.

18. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Despite the advantages of the laptop I still want to buy a desktop. Since I'm an avid fan of computer games, I desperately need the firepower that the desktop can provide. Although some laptops such as Alienwares can handle a lot of pc games nowadays, they cost an awful lot of money compared to the desktop that you can buy at the same price.

19. CuriousJ

CuriousJNew Member

Threads:
    Neither laptops nor desktops are inherently of better build quality than the other. It all depends on the quality of the components used and the design used (this applies more to laptops).

Laptops only have the advantage of being portable. Desktops have laptops beat in every other area. Desktops are far more powerful, a lot cheaper and lets you have much more control over the components in your system (when building desktops).

If gaming, and portability is not a concern, desktops are by far the better option.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also prefer a desktop than a laptop pc, and I think that a desktop is sturdier too, because it is stationary and it doesn't require batteries, plus you can easily upgrade the parts. With a laptop, I think with the proper handling it can be sturdy too, but the heat that you feel when using it and the constant plugging when you use it for long hours when you are just at home doesn't appeal to me. Better use a desktop instead if it's gonna be plugged all night right?