Detox Juices And Soups?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by isabbbela • Oct 14, 2015.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm attempting to boost my metabolism, and someone suggested I had detox juices and soups.
    Do you have any tips and recipees for juices and soups that are good for detoxifying?
    I heard spinach, broccoli, arugula and other dark green leaves are great for detox.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As the body detoxifies itself naturally - as that is what the kidneys, the liver, the intestinal tract and to some degree the respiratory tract and the skin are designed to do - to remove toxins from the body and there is absolutely no scientific evidence whatsoever to support any of the misleading claims - that juice or food - fruit, vegetable or otherwise is capable of removing any kind of toxins from the blood, body or boosting the immune system.

I hate to say this - but it is a myth - in fact everything surrounding the “ detox “ beverage/diet/food industry is false claims and repeatedly debunked myths - made worse by the fact - that what they sell are in reality - nothing more than cleverly marketed products designed to try and convince people that they are doing something beneficial to their bodies - by buying these gimmicky products - to do something that their bodies are already doing an extremely good job of on their own.

Which is why the best tip for anyone - looking to improve their health, lose weight or boost their immune system - would be to make changes to diet and lifestyle habits - particularly as - just exercising regularly, eating a healthy balanced diet and doing everything in moderation together with getting a good nights sleep - will not only provide the immune system - with all the boosting and support it needs - but improve overall health and help with weight loss too

3. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Agreed with above post. When the "Beyonce" diet came out a few years ago, juice companies charged a fortune for the cheapest fruit next to a banana. Some juice smoothies are full of nutrients but watch the carbs/sugar and your daily activities.

I like to try different ones from time to time. Trader Joe's has a root veggie smoothie that has a cleansing effect on me. I like to have it after workouts because it's not too sweet.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I dabbled in the juicing/smoothie stuff briefly, but quickly abandoned it when the reality set in of how much all this was costing. In addition to dropping like $150 for a juicer, I was spending way too much money on fresh fruits, veggies, and other ingredients like watercress or wheat grass, that I wouldn't normally buy. Plus you need a lot of everything just to make one drink. You practically need an entire bag of apples or oranges just to make like 3 or so small glasses of juice. And the rest of that pulp, where a lot of the nutrition resides is getting tossed out. Why not just eat an apple each day and get three servings out of three apples, instead of wasting 3-4 apples just to make a glass of juice with fewer nutrients? Same with fresh spinach or arugala, one large tub of it is only about enough for 2 drinks.

Cabbage soup is commonly used for dieting and may be something to try out. I wouldn't hype it up as some miracle detox food, but cabbage is inexpensive, and yields a lot once thinly sliced into angel hair strips. It's also a good low carb alternative to noodles or pasta in a soup and adds a lot of flavor.