Did you buy clothes as a Holiday Gift?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Arajoo • Dec 22, 2014.

1. Arajoo

ArajooNew Member

Threads:
    Hi we just finished a successful Christmas Party reunion and I have mostly received clothes. I wonder if you also give out clothes as gifts? Personally, I rarely give out clothes as gifts because I am afraid that it might not fit the person I am giving it for. Same thing for shoes and tops. How do you pick the right clothes to send as gift? Any advice?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only bought a clothing item (a polo shirt) for my boyfriend. Everyone else is either getting a small treat (like moisturizers, lotions, hand creams and stuff like that) or a toy. I got my mom a blow drier and my brother some headphones he wanted. But that was it, clothes only for one person!

3. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    This year was a clothes year, the Bon Ton had a great promotion, spend $100 get $50 off. You can get a lot of stuff for $100 so that was a given. I do not regret it. I also bought several T-Shirts this year. I usually get some money as a bonus from work so I scoped out what I might want to buy myself. Cotton it seems has been very expensive, so sales are a must. Night gowns and pajamas were very high, maybe that will go on sale after the holidays. $90 for a bathrobe is very expensive IMHO. It did seem like accessories like bags and belts were also good deals at the shops.

4. PennySafe

PennySafeNew Member

Threads:
    I would never buy someone clothes unless it's something like a hoodie or scarf, something that is for casual use. I would be afraid to give someone something stylish because they may not like it, and it may not fit. Someone bought me a little blouse once as a teenager....it was just my style, but unfortunately it was a little too small.

5. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I think if you know the person's size of the person, as well as the person's preference in clothes then clothes would be a perfect gift. They are pretty easy to find (unless you want to get them something really specific) and it's almost certain that they will love it. I have gotten clothes for Christmas many times, and I have rarely been disappointed...well, when my friends bought me clothes instead of the older members of my family.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Kids don't mind what gifts they get. Each year I buy my favorite nieces [I'm that bad] nice dresses. I've made it a tradition. Much as I always get them other gifts, unless they get a dress they won't be too happy. For that reason, I have to get them [clothes] year after year . . . until we drift apart.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy clothing for people as a general rule of thumb. I think it creates more tension than anything, because then the person feels obligated to wear it - yet it may not fit them properly or be the style of clothing that they feel comfortable in. Also, some people are more sensitive about their weight and may not like getting clothing from others as gifts since it draws more attention to their weight in front of others.

The only time I will buy some items of clothing for someone is if it's something that I know they wear regularly, and I know the specific size that they wear. My dad, for example, wears the same style and brand of shoes year after year, so he can always use a newer pair of those. Same goes for dress pants with him, he's worn the same size and brand for years.

8. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Buying clothes for other people is something which I try my utmost to avoid. This is something which is totally fraught with pitfalls. There are so many factors involved. Size is one. Just because you know a person's size does not guarantee that it's the size he actually prefers to wear. Some like to wear their clothes a bit loose. Some like to wear their clothes a bit tight.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Personally, I don't think that clothes are a good idea as gifts, unless they are socks, gloves or scarves. People have such varied tastes, and it would be a shame to waste money on something that will only disappear at the bottom of some drawer or in the back of a wardrobe. Offering a clothes voucher would be far more practical in my opinion.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Picking out clothes as gifts is really a tough one but I can't think of anything else that's more useful especially when you're thinking of giving them to children or young adults. Well, I try to estimate or imagine the size. Say, if the person is a little smaller than me, then I'll go for clothes that fit me but are way too tight. I can't risk it with shoes and jeans. Dresses and t-shirts are safer, however. Boys especially like their shirts baggy.

11. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, I do. With the crisis nothing like buying things we really need and sometimes toys need to be sacrificed. My nephew was just needing a shirt, so I bought him one. More, for my grandmother I always get her clothes because she loves it.

12. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I don't buy clothes as gifts to other people. Chances are, they might not like it and they end up giving it to someone else which can really hurt your feelings when you see that the other person is wearing the clothes you have given to your friend. I only buy some items or clothing for my relatives and loved ones. Last year, I gave my husband a winter pajama and a pair of slipper. For the kids, like my nephew and nieces, I don't buy them clothes too. Instead I go for educational toys and materials.

13. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy clothes for people I know extremely well and for small children sometimes. Anyone else I'd be afraid to even try to buy items of clothing for. Were you happy with the clothing items you received? I hope so, for you.

14. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    The only clothes shopping I'll do for gifts is if that person is with me and able to try on the clothing before I buy it. Far too many times I've been the recipient of ill-fitting clothes and have had to make a trip to the mall or store in order to exchange or return. Even with the gift receipt, this turns out to be a hassle that can be avoided if you can get them to accompany you.

I know a lot of people like the surprise of receiving a mystery gift, but sometimes the only surprise is that it isn't fitting properly.

15. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    No, nein nicht, nyet........I have tried it on a couple of occasions but it never panned out. I either have no taste in clothing for other people or I just do not read people well. For me, if I go to Victorias Secret or even Sam's and get a gift card it takes a lot of grief out of buying clothes.

16. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds like a plan. I mean socks, gloves or scarves come in free sizes. So the question of fit does not arise. I suppose the gloves will have to be the stretchable type, though. Leather gloves need to be the right size to be worn properly.

17. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have been buying clothes for my grandchildren for Christmas except for the oldest every year. I find that I can get more clothes than I can toys so I leave that to the parents. Also someone mentioned outerwear, pajamas, underclothes I've given these also. I just decide which one I want to give. You can find lots of fun clothes for children. Once they become older then I will probably buy them something that is on their wish list.

#17Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  18. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    Clothes as gifts is not that common in my opinion as there are many potential negatives in buying someone these types of gifts. Firstly, size and fit of the clothes is a big issue. The gift is no good unless it actually fits the person it is intended for, otherwise they will never wear it. In addition, most people have their own unique fashion sense and again, unless you know the person well, they might not like the clothes you buy or they may not feel like it is something they would wear. Generally, unless you know are very familiar with the person, buying clothes as gifts should be avoided. Although, clothes may be good if you see a tshirt that has a great design that really suits the person, or if you are close with the person and know what they like.

19. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a classic gift. Not a Christmas in my childhood that I didn't receive clothes. It's always one of the gift that I used to receive. But personally, I wish that they didn't give out clothes, because most of those if not all are not of my style. So I ended up not using them purposely. I did only use them when I am at home, but I didn't for others to see me wearing them, even though they are not house clothes.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I receive clothes most of the time as gifts. But I have never given one as a gift. I guess if you know the body type of the person that you intend to give a gift to, then giving clothes as gifts should be easy.