Did You Buy Your Pet/s Or Adopted Them?

Discussion in Pets started by maxen57 • May 20, 2016.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I have had many dogs over the years and they have all been rescued. I've heard that in Finland they are not allowed to buy dogs until all the rescue centres are empty which is a brilliant idea.

I paid £120 for both my present dogs and I was happy to pay it as I think it shows the rescue centre that your intentions are good if you are prepared to pay for them. One of mine is completely blind due to eating a slug contaminated with slug bait when she was young but I adopted her knowing she would never see and she is the most gorgeous little dog; she doesn't let her lack of sight spoil her quality of life.

My other dog was badly abused for 7 years of her life and is afraid of everything. She is getting better after a year with me but I don't think she will ever be normal. I love them both and I'm happy I can give them a home where they are safe and well cared for.

2. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    onsofa.JPG

We have had pets for several years. Earlier we had this craze for pedigree and spent money to buy them. All of them gave us a lot of happiness but we later changed our mind and went looking around for strays. We found one and we took care of her. She littered and we gave away her puppies to farms without charging anything. We kept one puppy a female who also gave puppies. We repeated the process and retained one for us. The older dogs were given away as we were shifting. We took the last one with us. She stayed with us for 16 years and through her we had other puppies and those too we gave away but kept ..............the story went on until we decided not to have pets after we had lost them to old age. But in walked this last one a stray again. She is with us now and is 10 years old. She is adorable and we love her.

3. Shana Peckover

Shana PeckoverMember

Threads:
    We have always adopted our pets. It's so much better to take in a pet that has been abused or has not known a loving family. It also prevents them from being euthanized. It's much more affordable too. Saving an animals life makes it all the more meaningful.

4. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    As I have said in my response Preiti walked into our life on her own. She has shown us that there is no different between a pedigree and a stray. She is a constant source of joy to us. Here in this video clip she is refusing to sleep until we changed her bedsheet

5. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I belong to the local facebook group for lost pets, and they also show the ones that have been taken to the local animal shelter and are waiting for adoption and re-homing. Most of the dogs that are lost are pit bulls. It seems like everyone areound here has pit bulls, and some of them raise puppies to sell, which makes the population even worse. Then, when you add in that many of the owners are druggies, or just not responsible people; it only stands to reason that a lot of these dogs are going to be left homeless.
    There are usually more homeless dogs and cats right around the beginning of the month because people move to an apartment or house that won't allow pets, and so they just leave their cats and dogs behind.
    The other side of that is that it is expensive to get a dog from the animal shelter, and you have to fill out all kinds of paperwork in order to adopt a pet from there. I would consider helping with fostering pets until they were adopted; but I can't pass all of the paperwork that they need. Since I am retired, I just do not have things like pay stubs and required documents like that.

6. vashk

vashkNew Member

Threads:
    I bought my Japenese Maltese for about $170 at my local home town area. It was a pricey acquisition at the time but I really wanted the cute dog. it has grown up so well but I have had to invest heavily into its diet and also make sure that I never forget to take her to the veterinary for check ups. However, if I were to advise anyone, I would say adopt a pet. There are so many rescue organizations that save pets from cruel environments and groom and take care of them. They allow people to adopt them for free or at a small fee and they offer check-up services for a period of time for some and even a lifetime for others to ensure that the pets are well taken care of.

7. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, we saved our dog which was neglected by our neighborhood. They were not giving him proper food and since we are neighbors he became close to me and my brother while going to their home. So, we asked them if they could just give him to us and they did. Since then he had been a member of our family. He is pretty strong actually and we take him to a vet once in two months. We love him. :)

8. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    Every pet that we got so far is from the adoption. We had some of the local neighbor who we shared our pets with. And that's how the cats were from their house all the time. I also noticed that their dogs used to be around our house. And we didn't mind much. You can see that we avoided purchasing pets.

9. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to buy my pet not adopt them. Dog is my favorite pet. Those innocent eyes of them put tears in my eyes looking deep into them. I got a puppy "Billy" four month ago, he is so cute and got a mean face.

There are some dog that pisses me off, I hate it when a dog barks too much. I believe such dogs are not well trained since all they do well is bark like a depraved animal. If you train your dog not to bark too much, it will make it a mean animal and won't be easily distracted.

Who else loves dogs more than any other pet?

10. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    All of our cats were either strays or just given to us, the 3 kittens that I have now are all adopted. As for dogs, they sometimes buy their preferred breed, or the dogs were again given to us when the owners don't want to take care of them anymore.

11. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have pets at the moment. But when I was younger, we did not buy our pets. We had pets given to us by a family friend due to multiple births and then we adopted a pet once. I can also remember my brother coming home once with an injured bird.

12. lucykey

lucykeyMember

Threads:
    I bought my dog pet recently which costed me Ksh.4500. With this amount I had it trained on what to eat and not to eat, how to attack and how to play. I felt satisfied with this because if I had adopted one maybe I could have incurred more to train it I therefore prefer buying than adopting.

13. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I have done this quite a few times with my grandmother, she is a lover of dogs and one of her female dogs is good at giving birth to several puppies. I think during secondary school days, I got two puppies from her and I had till I had to leave home and take them back to my granny.

14. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    No, I never bought a pet, if you buy a pet you must pay, so I have always adopted an animal from a donation site for free without any fee. Besides there are a lot of abandoned animals there that needs a master, is better to adopt an animal than buying it.

15. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer adopting stray dogs now, Most straydogs are mixed breeds and mixed breeds have better lifespan and health. Pedigree breeds are sick because of the inbreeding that happened to produce them. The mixed breed dogs from the shelters are way more healthier than those pedigree dogs.

16. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Neither of the two options, my dog was a gift from my parents. So, in that case... They bought the dog, not me. but I already adopted 2 dogs many years ago.

17. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    We have always been lucky to come into our pets, meaning just knowing some family members who happened to be giving some away. If it did come to having to get one, though, I would probably try adopting first before anything else.

18. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Another reason why should adopt dogs, Many dogs on shelters are toilet trained already. Imagine how much time it will save you to have a dog that is already knows how to do his or her business outside. Stray dogs will look as pretty as those pedigree dogs if you feed them nutritious food. They will have shiny mane if you feed them dog food instead of leftovers.

19. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I personally choose to adopt pets, at least cats and dogs. Lizards and snakes you would sort of have to buy because most animal shelters don't offer them to adopt. However, cats and dogs I think are better to be adopted due to the fact adopted pets are both cheaper and I feel truly need a home.

20. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Many exotic pets such as reptiles can be adopted from animal shelters too as there are people who abandon their pets. Animal shelters are not limited to cats and dogs. There are hamsters,reptiles... Etc there.

Animal shelters will not only save you money but you can also save lives. Buying from pet shops causes animal abuse to breeding mothers from puppy mills. Pedigree dogs have health issues that will cost you money.