Did You Know That Sweet Potato Is Considered To Be The Most Nutritious Vegetable?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by explorerx7 • Feb 23, 2016.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    The sweet potato is packed with many important vitamins minerals such as:
    * vitamin B6
    * vitamin C
    * vitamin D
    * iron
    * potassium
    * magnesium
    * beta-carotene (antioxidant)
    * natural sugar which will enable an energy boost without a spike in blood sugar levels
    This versatile vegetable can be had in a number of ways, baked, grilled, steamed, and roasted.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh my God, I had some just today, and have been incorporating it into my diet more and more recently. I have been using it instead of regular potatoes, as I have been trying to cut down on carbohydrates overall, and heard that there was a lot of fiber in sweet potatoes. I did not know, however, that they were so nutritious and on such a broad scope. They are absolutely delicious too, and tend to be bigger than regular potatoes. So you are getting more for your money.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sweet potatoes have fewer carbs than white potatoes also. I like to add cinnamon to my sweet potatoes when I have them steamed. I have tried to french fry the sweet potatoes but they did not come out very good.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's good to know. I'm actually a huge fan of sweet potatoes and during certain occasions, such as when a few crops in our makeshift yard have finally ripened and ready for harvest, we find ourselves feasting on a bag of sweet potatoes. They're better off boiled or skewered, in my opinion. The former particularly brings out their natural taste.

5. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I do like sweet potatoes but I do not eat them very often. They go well with most meals. I never knew they were so packed with nutrients, however. Now that I know this, I will make it a point to buy them more often. I find that the price is very affordable too. I usually like to have something sweet alongside my meal and I usually go for plantains or bananas, but I think I will have to substitute sweet potatoes for the plantains, although not leaving out the plantains altogether.

6. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I never liked sweet potatoes when I was a child. I have tried sweet potato fries but do not really like them better than regular fries. I have tried sweet potatoes mashed and I really liked their rich sweet taste. I like to boil them and then just add some butter, salt, and pepper. They are a nice change from white potatoes once in a while. I love to have them in sweet potato pie too.

7. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    Well, thank god tomato is one of my favourite vegetables so far, it is pretty motivating to see that my favourite vegetable is one of the healthiest ones, however I will keep having them on my daily diet, thank you for sharing such amazing information, peace!

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love sweet potatoes and know that it's very healthy to eat too! I love sweet potato pastries too for it doesn't use any sugar just the sweet taste of the sweet potatoes. Thanks for the information!

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got a jackpot in this thread. Whenever I am on a diet, I always choose sweet potato as substitute food. Sometimes it is fried and often it is boiled. I eat the fried potato with a dash of sugar to give it more flavor. And when boiled, I eat it plain. I could lose 2 pounds in a week by eating sweet potato for 3 days. What's good is I don't feel hungry and there is no desire for food so my dieting is always successful.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like sweet potatoes very much, especially baked so it's good to know that they're practically a super food. They're also really cheap around Thanksgiving when they go for 35 cents a pound due to holiday sales and being a popular Thanksgiving food.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, that's fantastic news because I do like sweet potatoes A LOT. I knew they contained less calories than regular white potatoes, but I honestly wasn't aware of the extent of their nutritional value. I'm on a bit of a health trip at the moment, so this knowledge will come in really handy because I'll start incorporating them more in my diet and may cutting back on regular potatoes. I also like the fact that they're so versatile! Thanks for sharing @

:)

12. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I only started eating sweet potatoes in the last five years. I have found some really interesting recipes using them. My all-time favorites are sweet potato pie, sweet potato french fries, and just a plain baked sweet potato with butter and brown sugar. However, I did just discover a recipe for quiche that actually has a crust made from sweet potatoes. It's been passed around a lot of Facebook. Has anyone ever tried recipe like this? I think that it's pretty unique to have crust made from sweet potatoes. I plan on trying it soon.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I eat sweet potatoes from time to time, whether boiled or fried. I prefer the fried version though, since it's it's covered in sugar. The boiled version seems so plain to me.

14. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I knew this. I love sweet potatoes and they're so affordable too.

15. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love sweet potatoes. I'm thrilled to learn how nutritious they are. I mostly cook them in the winter time when they are quite cheap to buy. I'll cook them like mashed potatoes and then put butter in them and cream. My favourite way is to boil them then slice them and fry the rounds. They get slightly crispy on the outside and soft and sweet on the inside. I usually serve it with ham. The sweet and the salty goes very nicely. I find it's one of the vegetables that both my kids will eat since it is sweet.

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not surprised that sweet potatoes are healthy, but it is surprising to know it is the most nutritious vegetable. I am not sure if I would believe that, since it is a carb. It is healthy, but is it really healthier than tomatoes, or dark green leaves?
    I know people that go to the gym eat a lot of sweet potatoes because it helps out with the muscles, but it's sadly not my case yet. I don't go to the gym all that much! I'm not the biggest fan off this sweet potatoes, I like sweet potato fries, but I doubt that that will be considered healthy. Maybe healthier than regular potatoes, but still it's fried....