Did You Seek Help With Your Retirement Plans?

Discussion in Retirement Plans started by MrsJones • Apr 16, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Did you seek help with your retirement plans? What to invest and how much?

I have no knowledge of investing. I'm very curious on all the aspects involved but I would like to have a better understanding of investing for my pension. It seems so overwhelming when I look at the stats that I receive. As long as the bottom line is increasing I'm okay.

I want to be more involved. Any suggestions?

2. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    My company offered a four week retirement seminar, which I attended. At the end each person (or couple, you could bring your significant other) got a 1-on-1 with one of the advisors.

I found it really helpful, because they broke down how stocks, bonds, mutual funds, REITs, etc. work and how to make them work together. They also explained the different ways you need to diversify, helped us calculate how much money we would need in retirement, and how long to expect to be in retirement. They also gave specific advice regarding the funds available to us through our 401k, though I think that was off the record.

I would start by reading articles on the following topics (This list is primarily relevant to the U.S.):
    IRA
    Roth vs. Traditional
    Term Life Insurance
    Long Term Care Insurance
    Target Date Retirement Fund