Die-hard Shopper Or Occasional Purchaser?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by blurinoctober • Feb 22, 2016.

1. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I have an aunt who gets shipments every week or two - she is always trying the new ASOT item when it hits the airwaves. It's fun to watch from an outside perspective without having it come back on me if the quality is poor.

So, how about you guys? Are you always grabbing up the next item or are you only tempted if it's really, really good? Do you have any fun stories about someone in your life and all of the As Seen On TV mail they receive? Let us know below!

2. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I only love getting things that can be potentially a great buy. I love to do my research before getting something. I mostly buy the stuff others have tried. I don't want any other big bad purchases like I have done twice before... My sister on the other hand, when she sees something on TV she orders that fast haha. She gets her phone out, and then she says "AMAZON!" or "WALMART!" so that it will go to those sites for her. She will then say to the phone the name of the product. She loves her as seen on TV products. I love them as well too, but I just love trying things out in general though.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I avoid as seen on TV products. I think they are not worth the money, and the shipping costs are ridiculous. I think for a better value, individuals should investigate the As Seen on TV stores that are located in most malls, and even stores ocassionally like Dollar General or other retailers.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Only occasionally do I buy a product I see being advertised on TV. I have a friend who is always testing some of the cheaper products and from time to time when I'm convinced of the quality of the product I'll buy it. IMHO most people who buy these ASOT products just are impulse shoppers. I never buy something unless I really need it.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love shopping, but I too am not a huge fan of those products advertised on TV. That's something I'll say no to time and time again. To me, they tend to look a bit tacky, if I'm being honest. In my experience, like Denis Hard has observed, people who tend to shop on those TV channels are either impulse buyers or older people who are bored. My mother-in-law often gets stuff from there LOL

6. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:

No I am not an avid as seen on TV fan. My dad was an extreme fan on TV items. He would buy things all the time. There was a mini sewing gadget he purchased that didn't work. The only item I would buy is something to do with exercise if it's a good bargain.

7. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I have always wanted to be one of those people who always orders the stuff that they see on TV, because the products are usually pretty intriguing. Of course intriguing is one thing and useful and reliable and worthwhile are other things that are more important, and some things that these products are not. I am sure there are some good ones out there, though.

8. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I remember buying a product from a TV shopping channel only once and I never had any repeats at all. The way they explain how it works on TV really seems so convincing and makes their products look so effective and good for the money but when you get to have them on your hands already, they're not actually how you expect them to be. So yeah, I'm not a fan of TV shopping but I know some people who patronize these things.

9. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I think a lot of the ASOTV products are inventions and this is a good way to measure the saleability before actually putting it in the stores. When I see these products I always ask 'Who would make something like that?' That's why I think they are inventions.

10. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't shop all the time, but I do really enjoy getting bargains for the things that I need. I never buy anything that will be wasted, or clothes that I am only ever going to use once. The main things that I buy are household items, as I always know that they're going to be used, and for this reason I spend money on them when I know they are priced at a good value, which is great.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've also wondered the same thing in the past, MrsJones! If they are indeed inventions, a lot of them must flop, because there's been times when I've told myself I'll wait and see if they ever hit the stores, but interestingly, that's usually last I'll hear of them! They obviously mustn't catch on hehe. But I do know they have an audience, people who religiously buy stuff from there, maybe just not in big enough numbers to warrant them being in store IDK. They're just not for me at all!

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am totally and completely an occasional shopper/purchaser. I rarely feel inclined to buy things, and perhaps that is because I don’t have money to have that kind of mindset. But even if I did have money to throw around, I still think I would be the same. I only purchase things occasionally. For me to buy as ASOTV item, I really have to be drawn in by it.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no interest in watching or even buying those ASOT products, mainly because I live near the malls and it would be too easy to just buy from there if ever I need something. My parents used to buy those ASOT products, but that was during the 90's. The products that they bought were quite durable.

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I am an occasional shopper although sometimes there's a sort of wanderlust in my pocket that I wanted to buy something. I have no argument with my husband because he sees that I normally shop with practicality that's why I try to maintain that image lest I be restricted. With online shopping, I never shop by myself because I need the approval of my husband... I use his Paypal account for payment.

15. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I used to spend a lot when I was a teenager. I think I enriched a lot of late night TV marketers that way. I remember having made 2 really bad purchases. One was the inflatable couch thing that really wasn't good for anything. The other was the magical shoe implants that promised to make you taller. I was like 5'9 at the time, and I really wanted to touch the 6 mark before leaving high school, so I got sold. When the "implants" arrived, they were just regular shoe soles with like a few bumps on them and a booklet claiming that the bumps somehow used accupressure to press points that would make me taller. What a scam that was...

16. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a jewelry station that I steer clear of, otherwise I'd be homeless. I love pretty shiny things, and that station is just too much temptation to me. I like to occasionally peruse HSN or QVC, but I rarely purchase anything on there these days. If I had more money, I might consider buying something occasionally, but I still enjoy watching sometimes, whether or not I buy. If there's an item I'm particularly interested in, I like to hear the detailed descriptions they give, because it can help me make up my mind when I do have the money later on.

17. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Lol! Well, I know a few places I steer clear of too. Anyways, I do make sure never to carry my cards with me, just the one with a low limit so I can't go crazy with it.

18. Tina122321

Tina122321Member

Threads:
    I am very careful with my purchases. My husband and I occasionally watch the shopping networks but have never bought anything from them. We do buy shirts from facebook ads pretty often though. I do like watching the infomercials. Usually the best products end up in stores and then I know all about them. I think it is usually cheaper to wait until they are in stores because the price comes down. There is a ladder I used to see on infomercials that if I see it again I think I will buy it. I have never seen it in stores and i would love to have it. It could be really tall, it could turn into a scaffolding thing, it could brace itself against the wall etc. I think it would be worth the money.

19. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find it difficult to be a die-hard shopper. The simple reason is I feel guilty spending beyond my means and buying items that are not really what you call "priorities." I was born into and raised by a practical family and I've internalized the values taught to me while growing up. I occasionally purchase stuff - when I run out of basic necessities, occasional impulse buying and the like.

20. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    These "as seen on tv items" don't fit my bill, so I don't shop that way. I know quite well enough that in this case that what you see may not be exactly what you really get, and there are times when people receive the shipment they are disappointed because of the below standard quality. In most instances I might not be able to go to a forum to get a review on the product, and I view this a being a deficit in the trust factor.