Different Shops Have Different Connotations When It Comes To Sizes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by iamawriter • Aug 4, 2017.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter To confirm your point I had recently read a news item which said that even the well known companies are making extra money by giving smaller size than what it should really be. The report said that the companies particularly undergarments were supplying 10-15 smaller than standard or what it should be in actual. The companies are earning 10 to 15% extra by cheating their cutomers.

#21Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2017
  2. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    The differences can be very frustrating especially when you are buying online. If you are aware of the differences in the sizes from the various regions you could end up buying clothes that may not fit. For example, the Asain sizes are usually two sizes smaller when compared to the US sizes and sometimes there is even a difference in sizes when matching sizes from the same region.

3. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    The sizes are big problem while shopping online. I expect that the retailers should actually follow a standard size for everyone as more and more people are now buying stuff from other countries due to online shopping convenience. How hard is it to do that? I mean, 36 inch will be 36 inch, and not more or less. What is more annoying is that, some retailers only list the product sizes as S, M, L without mentioning the sizes in inches, very few retailers do that. Size charts are given, but they too are not clear many times.

4. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 Putting big companies in grooves of them being honest is history. We cannot trust anyone these days. I read about an assessemrnt of NGOs that have earned a good name but shocking are the revelations.

#24Aug 16, 2017
  5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter the whole problem is with the way they denote the sizes of garments. They should write the actual measurements of the garments instead of small, medium, large XL or XXL which doesn't specify a particular size but everyone is free to assume things. What is large for me could well be small for others.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a sad experience in buying jeans online. It was a gift for my wife and I had been careful of the size. But I didn’t know that the size depends on the store. Her size is large and when the jeans arrived, I should have ordered extra large because the jeans wouldn’t fit her. And to avoid the trouble of requesting for an exchange, my wife said she would just give it to her niece. Now I will never forget that.

7. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 If all buyers mention this in their reviews there is hope that soon there will be some standard set that would be ok for all around the globe. It is not understood why, after so many years of marketing these mistakes continue. The only plus point is they take returns but this does not hold good for underwear. One is stuck with them.

#27Aug 17, 2017
  8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy I agree with you that they should mention waist and length size instead of large which makes no sense especially when they have no standard size in particular or vary from company to company or country to country. I would prefer them to specify which standard they follow like they do in case of shoes where three different sizes are mentioned in every site.

#28Aug 18, 2017
  9. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    That's when thing that i always try to pay attention to when shopping for clothes online, i can never understand why each company has different sizes.

10. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I know that if I buy clothes from China I will normally have to go up one or two sizes from what I wear normally. Some of the stuff I bought on Amazon was nowhere near big enough for me so now I always check and see where the clothes are coming from. I think this is why it is better when it comes to clothes to try them on in a store as then you can tell how well they will fit. They often don't look as good on me as they do on the model either!

11. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I strongly think all shops should follow the same parameters when it comes to sizes of shirts especially for those selling online. I have had problem with sizes of shirts while shopping. There are some XL shirts that would fit good on me and same XL on other clothes come too small for me. To ensure I'm not buying a shirt, that could be too small, I go for XXL but the disadvantage this may come too big sometimes.

12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I noticed it too, some brands have large sizes like Old Navy, while other brands have small sizes like Roxy. I think to be sure that you will get the correct size, you need to get the exact measurements of your body and ask the seller to measure the clothes for you if you're buying online. If you're buying clothes in stores, then no need for that, since you can simply try to fit the item before buying it.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    So, the best way is to write this in review section of every shopping site and let them know that we want sizes to be mentioned in cm or inches instead of S, L, XL etc which is no more acceptable and also write that if you do not mention the real size the chances ae there will be no taker.

14. jakub

jakubMember

Threads:
    I understand your point and your statement is correct, but is it really difficult for them to have a unified dress size to save us trouble.

15. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I am about to order for some velvet pants from Ali Express. and I will keep that in mind. But Ali Express I notice are thorough with their selling strategy. They give everything in detail. And they are cheap too. These pants that I am about to order are available for 5 dollars

16. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @jakub@jakub, Well this has been going on for a long time already, and it's already 2017 now, and the sizes of each brand still differs, so you know things aren't gonna change soon.

17. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I have found one seller who has satisfied me totally. I am wearing a t shirt just now that I have bought from them and I am satisfied. I have now ordered for two more. One needs to wear clothes that fit properly - neither too tight nor too loose. This seller does not have pants, unfortunately. I have found a seller who has stretch pants that fit me but he has only two colours (lol)

18. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter, Is that a local or international seller? Is that an individual seller or an international brand seller? Is that an online or offline purchase? I asssume it's an offline one. Well at least you finally found a brand that fits your size well.

19. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    They are Indian sellers and I got my stuff online. It is actually not easy to get sellers who have the right size. I did have to return here and there and finally I have got the right shop atleast for t shirts.

20. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter, I see I hope the shipping costs aren't too expensive, unless it's a domestic purchase. I noticed that on Amazon the shipping is quite expensive if you buy from international sellers.