Different Sockets Having Different Electricity Output?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by sidney • Jul 7, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a weird question, but have you experienced a situation where charging your phone takes longer in a certain socket as compared to another socket? I noticed this recently when I started to use a universal battery charger to charge my phone's battery. I would charge the battery at zero percent, and after 2 to 4 hours it's already 100% in the brown socket in my room. The time varies since I sleep while charging it, but it gets full at around 4 hours at the most. However, in the living room, I already tried 2 sockets there and they were color white. My battery is only 76% or less after 4 hours or more. The charging difference between the 2 sockets are weird and consistent. Has anything similar happened to you?

2. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    No. This has never happened to me. All the plugs seem to work the same. It sounds like something you should maybe look into. I can not think of anything that would cause the electrical flow to be different at each socket. But, I am not an electrician either.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same here. I know nothing about electric wiring and all, but when I used the phone's regular charger, the charging time was the same for both sockets, around 2 hours only. So it's either the socket or the universal battery charger that's inconsistent.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the olden times there are houses with 2 electrical sockets having different voltage - 110 volts for imported appliances (US made) and 220 volts for locallyadapted appliances. It is okay if your 220-volt appliance is plugged to 110 volts, the operation is hampered only. But if it is the other way around, your 110-volt appliance will explode. It happened to us several times with the drill and dryer.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's the socket, some have a loose connection and I have had a few times where a socket was like this because things were pulled out a lot and the connection would be loose, and the kettle wouldn't boil.

It happens also on extension leads where one socket may be stronger than another. It's normal but can be fixed. As they are different parts of the house the wiring may be different too.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That does sound weird, but at least the ladies have indicated an explanation as to why it may be so. I personally have never come across this situation before. Since I'm not an electrician, I would call in one to have it checked out just in case it's a health and safety hazard. Better safe than sorry. Are you using the universal charger for the first time? That could also explain the discrepancy. I have never used one, myself. I hope you get it sorted soon :)

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo, That makes sense. The 2 sockets in the living room are also being used by other appliances like the ref, and the other one is being used by the tv and fan via an extension cord, while the socket in my room is just being shared with the radio. It hasn't come to a point where the appliance won't power on though. It's an interesting discovery due to using a universal battery charger. The charging time is always varied with each charging session.

@Lushlala@Lushlala, Well, it doesn't seem to be dangerous, the distribution of electricity is just uneven. I have been using the universal battery charger for more than a month now, and I actually thought that it might be the problem since it's made in China, lol.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's fine then, Sidney...phew! As long as you're safe, that's all that matters. Admittedly, I did wonder about the quality as soon as I read that you'd sourced it from there LOL

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've got a feeling in your house voltage levels will vary too according to how much is used on a daily basis. Basically if an extension cord is used, the power generated will be less, so that's why it is better to transfer things that aren't necessary or so urgent to the extension and plug in the phone to the mains directly.

Try to get a plug that allows one direct plug in and the other you can then plug in the extension lead.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, This is actually my 2nd universal battery charger. The 1st one lasted for 3 years. It just sort of "sparked" when I tried to charge a battery that was not used for almost a year, and the wiring seem to have had a mild explosion inside that charger. And the ones being sold here are identical to the ones in Ebay, so I can vouch for the quality. Stay away from China made mp3's though. They break and malfunction easily, lol.

@Theo@Theo, I always plug the universal battery charger in a spare socket. The ref socket is solely for the ref, so there is a spare, and I unplug the socket of my fan in the other socket so that I can plug the charger. It seems to function well when using a regular phone charger, the charging time is consistent. I stand corrected by the way. The charging time in my room can also be slow and take more than 4 hours, I just noticed it lately, lol.

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me for this segue. When we first went to Singapore on a tour, we stayed in an expensive hotel. When I was going to charge my phone, lo and behold, the socket was 220 volts (same as ours) but it is the 3-pronged. So how would my 2-pronged charger's plug fit in? Fortunately, the hotel concierge was ready for that problem. They lent us an adaptor. And for a souvenir, I brought home that adaptor, hahahaaa.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens, I know that in Europe they use the 3 prong charger. I had no idea that in Singapore that is also the case. Well at least you didn't make the mistake of plugging an incompatible appliance to the outlet, that would be quite scary! :p Since we are a "2-prong country", I wonder if we have that kind of adaptor at our local stores.