Digital Tattoo For Unlocking Your Phone

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Oct 28, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    moto-x-tattoo-unlock.

[video=youtube_share;15uIFmysZV4]http://youtu.be/15uIFmysZV4[/video]

Would you ever buy this?

From what I understand it's a stick on "tattoo" which lasts about 5 days. I personally wouldn't just because it looks a bit ugly to me and buying it would seem frivolous since it only does one task that I honestly don't find that much of a hassle anyway, or at least not to the extent that I'd want to wear a piece of electronic on my hand just to combat. I'm sure products like these would still lead to better ones in the future though so I'm not entirely against it.

What about you guys, what do you think of this digital tattoo for unlocking your phone? Would you ever buy it. Where do you see yourself using it the most?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow. I really don't need that type of security on my phone. A pin code is good enough for me. I'm buying a new phone that has the tap or knock code capability. If I worked in a position that require super tight security, then I could see the benefit of this type of security. I don't think it's realistic for the average smartphone user.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use a lock screen beyond the basic sliding nor do I use a pin code. I don't leave my phone in situations where it would require that. I suppose, if it's stolen, that the pin would delay them getting into my phone for about ten minutes or so, but most of the people stealing phones, know how to circumvent all of those things, so I'm back to my phone is always safe as it's with me.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't watch the video, but I'm assuming that's an NFC tag. You can buy a dozen on Amazon for a few bucks. They're useful for unlocking the phone with a quick wave of the device near the tag. However, the true use is in setting up each tag for specific profiles. You could put a tag on your night stand, wave the phone across it at night, and have all your alarms set plus your phone set to vibrate or silent automatically Similarly, you could set up a driving profile on a tag and have all of your messages read aloud (compatible devices) or all calls muted during the drive.

The tags are quite useful, and so is NFC.

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is quite a waste of money and time as I think there other better ways of unlocking the phone. I also believe that the phones used should be put to a great use rather than using any digital tattoos. I do not think many people would prefer to use the digital tattoo.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Excuse my cynicism but I think someone is trying to popularize the sort of security and/or convenience which will eventually lead to the implanting of chips of sorts in people's arms, hands and so on, for identification, unlocking phones, opening doors, etc.

That said, I'd never buy anything that would encourage the popularization of worse things which would be VERY BAD for everyone. So the tattoo for unlocking phones definitely isn't for me.

7. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Mood Altering Wearable Thingy

What they are trying to do is introduce a new way of unlocking our phones. I think it's an experimental wearable technology being used in this project. I would probably not buy the tattoo. If the purpose of the tattoo is to reduce the amount of time we spend unlocking our phones, I do think the team is on the right track. But it's also a matter of building taste, and if I don't feel comfortable wearing it, I would probably opt out. People with very active lifestyle probably would not mind the wearable tattoo. I personally would not be able to tolerate listening to the questions people might have about the wearable tattoo. Just a simple: what is that?! And a poke on the wrist would ruin my mood for the entire day.

8. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Seems a bit excessive don't you think? I mean, a password system alone is really tight as a drum. I don't you would really need this kind of security on your phone not unless you're carrying some really serious information with you but for me, I won't go that far as to have some sort of tattoo, real or not, on my skin to unlock my phone.

9. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I won't be needing this one that's for sure. Seems rather pointless, not unless you're carrying around some really valuable information on your phone. But to be honest, I think this is more of an introduction to the technology, I'm pretty sure soon enough we'd be having digital tattoos as proof of identification, credit and all that other stuff. It's like having us all bar coded.

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Wow that's a bit excessive. I wouldn't want to ink myself just to unlock my phone and if worst comes to worst, people might cut off my arm just to unlock my phone. What's the point of this? Aren't finger print scanners enough?

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dad and bro know how to bypass my SIM PIN codes and my phone's security codes, and it's really annoying to have no privacy, so I'm not averse to having a better means of security. But I don't want a tattoo, I prefer the eye scanner, so it would be difficult to open it if you were sleeping and they have your device.

12. jckobl

jckoblNew Member

Threads:
    I can't see myself ever buying or using this - It just seems like a waste of money. Besides the entering of a passcode being simple enough for me, the fact that the tattoo would only last five days and the (what I see as) awkward motion of lifting the phone to the arm renders this useless to me. I don't know about other people, but a normal passcode or something like Apple's Touch ID is fine in my view for security.