Diluting Dish Washing Liquid

Discussion in Home & Garden started by sunnyside • May 17, 2016.

1. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    As dish washing liquid is so highly concentrated and can be used for more than just washing the dishes, diluting it is a good way to prevent having to buy it too often, and therefore a good way to save. When our dish washing liquid reaches to just over halfway in the container, we would add water to the remaining liquid and fill it up to the top again. Have any of you ever done this? I find that doing this does not take away from the grease-cutting properties of the liquid in any way.

Also, when using dish washing liquid in its highly concentrated form, a little bit goes a long way.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It does depend on the brand, but in general I don't dilute because it doesn't wash items with grease well. What I do instead is make sure the water is hot and then add a small amount and it goes further in the sink or bowl that way. The best way is to do it in an empty bowl or sink first and then add the items to soak for a while and then wash them.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Much as I'm all for saving money - I don't generally water my dish wash detergent down either.

As apart from from the fact that its real cheap where I live and so highly concentrated that one bottle normally lasts me a year - I can't say that I'm very keen on the idea of adding water to it and then using that watered down solution - after its been stored for some considerable time - on my dishes - especially when not only is the quality of our water highly questionable - but realistically speaking there isn't any need to - as using just a half squirt of concentrated detergent instead of a full one usually achieves the same end result in terms of savings

That said - I do water it down as I'm nearing the end of the bottle - just to make sure that nothing gets wasted.

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I've never thought of diluting dishwashing liquid before but I have like @gata montes@gata montes added water near the end of the bottle. I think this is a good idea for concentrated brands which I use Dawn concentrated. I don't think that I would add water to half a bottle though.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do exactly what the other ladies do. I too have never thought to dilute it because where I live, even the superior brands don't cost that much, to be honest. We usually go for a large bottle, and it's so concentrated that it lasts us a good 4-6 months. -and then when we get to the very last dregs, only then do we normally add a little water to get it all out. It's so thick that a few drop go a very long way, so I'd never dilute it in a bid to make it go further.

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have never thought to dilute the dishwashing liquid either. Too me I like the more concentrated dish washing liquid. It seems to cut through grease better and wash pots and pans. If you dilute it too much you would end up using just as much or more if you hadn't diluted to do the same job. I just make sure I use just the right amount of detergent for the job so I don't wash it down the drain. I also buy a large jug of it which lasts easily 6 months. I really only use dish washing detergent for my pots and pans I put all my glasses and dishes in the dishwasher.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have been using liquid dishwashing soap ever since it came into fashion. Unlike soap which sometimes leave the odor in the utensils, liquid dishwashing soap is more hygienic and has no remnants whatsoever. So even if the cost is more than the cost of soap, we still prefer the liquid since we are used to it. For diluting with water, we have a plastic soap dish that is half-filled with water and mixed with 3 to 5 drops of liquid dishwashing. That's our standard measurement for mixing.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually do that quite a lot, and I would have to agree that it must be diluted a bit since it's highly concentrated, and it's cleaning properties would be too much to for the plate, so it needs to be diluted. We just spill some of the dish washing liquid in another container and fill it up with water.

9. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    I agree with you sunnyside, I always have to dilute the washing up liquid because it is simply a waste when you use it in it's very concentrated form, and as you said , a little bit goes a long way.

10. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I dilute our dishwashing liquid as well. What I do is just buy the ones in sachet since we have an older dishwashing liquid bottle at home anyway. Then, I'd fill up the bottle with some of the dishwashing liquid and add in some water. The ratio depends, but mostly it's about 1/4 of the bottle as the dishwashing liquid and then the remaining would be filled by water. This has helped us save some money in the long run.

Its de-greasing effect hasn't really been affected this way, at least for us. I can wash my son's cups and bottles and they will turn out squeaky clean still. Even for plates and glass bottles, this works well for them. The only problem were the pots and pans with heavy grease and stains. With those, I'd have to pump more dishwashing solution into them or else the grease and stains won't go away.

Sometimes, just putting hot and boiling water works as well. It can remove the remaining dirt in said pots and pans. Then, I'd just clean them up once again with the solution, works well for me.

11. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I keep a bottle of dish liquid/water with a pour spout in it, on the kitchen drain board. I use a variety that is soft on hands. I use this to wash my hands. I use dish liquid/water in my little scrubby with a reservoir for dish liquid and it actually works better than straight dish liquid, which tends to clog it up. This I use for quick clean up. If I have a lot of dishes, I just draw up a sink full of hot water and squirt 2 seconds of dish liquid. That's about the right amount of suds.

12. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    We also dilute our liquid dish-washing soap when there is only a quarter left in the bottle.
    Sometimes you do not have enough money to just buy a new bottle. Here they are not that cheap.
    Oftentimes I would think buying food is more important than buying liquid soap but that is because of having kids, I guess.

13. MissLibby

MissLibbyMember

Threads:
    I don't dilute my dish soap because I would probably end up using twice as much and this would defeat the purpose. I like a fair amount of suds when I wash the dishes and sometimes I'll add more if I need to, especially if I'm washing greasy pans. I don't buy the most expensive brand, but I am picky about my dish soap and won't buy the real cheap kind either.