Dining out alone

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jennifer • May 27, 2012.

1. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I used to eat out alone often, back when I wasn't married and provided I had the money to do so. I'm one who has no moral opposition to her own company. I still would do this, on occasion, if I could afford it and if my husband was busy or if I was mad at him, haha.

2. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    I have certainly done enough of this in the past. I rarely have anyone to eat with, so usually I will just grab some burgers and fries at a McDonalds and go out into my car and listen to political talk radio like Rush Limbaugh or Alex Jones. They keep me company to some extent.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have eating alone in restaurants. It's no big deal for me. I suppose I don't have a problem keeping my own company. I used to be self conscious about it. Now, that I'm older, I relish the time alone.

4. MyOCDisMild

MyOCDisMildMember

Threads:
    I suppose there could be loneliness attributed to eating alone, but I have 3 kids and a lot of times work under the pressure of a deadline, so I usually
    carry my laptop around with me anyway and I welcome the solitude. I can eat in peace without breaking up fights or asking someone to quit smacking
    or chew with their mouths closed and work with no interruptions. The irritating thing is when I'm eating alone and somebody comes up to me, I'm sure
    with good intentions, and asks to join me.

5. PurpleWasabi

PurpleWasabiNew Member

Threads:
    A lot of people I've told this to say it's a bit odd, but I personally enjoy dining out alone. I guess it's because I'm a bit of an introvert that I like to sit down near the windows of small bakeries or diners and simly people watch. I live in a bustling city, so there is always something to look at. It's all really relaxing and an interesting experience. You should try it out once just to see how you react. Who knows? Maybe you'll like it.

6. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I've done it once. I didn't care for it. It felt very lonely. Maybe I would get used to it if I had to do it a lot. I wouldn't want to go to the full service restaurants by myself at all I don't think. They seem like they are for social interaction alone. If I wanted their food, I would have to get it to go or find someone who would go with me.

7. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    If there's the need to go out and go somewhere else after dining out alone, I will do it however, If there's nothign else I would be after eat then its not something I might do because I'd rather eat instant chinese noodles than travel around 5 miles from home jsut to dine alone.

8. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I never feel comfortable going out to eat or go to the movies alone. It seems so lonely. I love to have someone to talk with and enjoy fun times with, and I feel so embarrassed being out alone while others have fun with their friends. I always like to have at least one person with me while doing those two things. Everything else I don't mind doing alone.

9. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    No, I go out and eat breakfast, lunch, dinner or whatever the case may be, all the time alone. I like to do that so I can gather my thoughts, relax, sip coffee and see whats on schedule for later on during my day. I don't feel alone at all because there are other people around you and so that is all the company that you need and so don't feel that way. Go ahead and try it and I bet you will enjoy keeping yourself company.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes its a treat to go out and eat alone, especially if you're going to a really nice place with a good ambiance.

11. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I love dining alone. Come to think of it, I like to do a lot of things alone. It really helps me decompress and just get a couple of minutes to myself without my wife, friends, or colleagues always on my ass about something. It is nice to unwind and just walk around the mall or grab a quick bite. I won't go to like a nice steakhouse without my wife but I will get a burger or something at the food court without thinking about it.

12. Mikered25

Mikered25Member

Threads:
    I can eat out alone because I have before. I actually don't mind go out alone, there was a time when it would bother me if I went somewhere alone but now I'm good. I have gone to the movies before, I have made plans to the mall by myself etc. I guess it all depends on the person and how comfortable you are. I had to learn that I don't have to be around people all the time to have fun

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have done it before. Like you said, I usually have a book or paper with me, but I don't mind being out on my own. It can actually be really enjoyable to to have a meal by yourself and not be forced to stay inside.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have many of times. But when I do I typically sit up at the bar. If I'm trying to get work done, and have my laptop with me I will get a table. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind company or going out to dinner with a significant other and/or friends, but there are times when I'm traveling or out doing photography where I'm on my own and want to stop and get something to eat. Sometime I will go eat somewhere by myself because a friend of mine works there as a sever or bartender, and I'm going to visit them too.

15. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go out to eat alone. It's just not something I care to do.

16. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    Dining out alone when you aren't used of it can be a scary experience, but I think that it has to do with insecurity. If you are a secure person, then it wouldn't bother you. However, it's best to start off small. Go to a coffee shop or a small diner of some sort and eat alone. Continue doing that until you're reading to work your way up to what you consider another a higher challenge.

17. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    I've been married for over ten years, and I love to go out to dinner with my wife. I also enjoy going out to dinner with friends. I also have a little "lone wolf" blood in me, and from time to time, I thoroughly enjoy going out to eat by myself. I usually hit the restaurants I know have some dimly-lit bar booths. Sometimes I'll take a book or a newspaper, but I'm just as happy enjoying my food and the silence. My other favorite haunt is a local all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet. They have a small, secluded room with a huge flat-screen TV near the buffet, and I usually have control of the TV remote. Don't knock dining out alone until you try it - it's a good time.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't mind eating alone, but it would be nice to have some company if I'm not in a hurry in my shopping duties. But when I'm shopping alone, I rarely dine-in anyway, and I prefer to just order my food take-out and head for home.

19. MommyDonna

MommyDonnaNew Member

Threads:
    I actually really enjoy going to dinner on my own. I used to go to movies by myself frequently as well. It is nice to just be alone and be able to decide what to see or where to eat. Of course, I haven't been able to do either since becoming a mom. Anytime without the kids I spend with my husband since we don't get much adult time.

20. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind dining out alone, but I rarely tell people I do it, because they think it's strange, or I end up getting pity, when in actual fact I'm perfectly happy to be eating alone. Of course mostly I'd prefer the company of others, but I'm certainly not unhappy eating alone.