Dining Out Vs Eating At Home - Which Is Cheaper?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jason76 • Nov 3, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I think for many it's a no-brainer that eating at home is. However, though, upon careful inspection, some might find that dining out constantly to be cheaper - given certain situations. What might they be?

However, though, there is always the argument that certain people are too lazy to cook. Does that hold water?

2. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Eating at home is much cheaper than eating out. With the money, you will spend on a dinner out to a restaurant you will buy ingredients and cook a meal for two days, and you may het some extra fruits in that money!

3. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    We used to just buy cooked meals at a small restaurant and found it cheaper and more convenient than cooking at home. This works for one-person or two-person households and when both are moderate eaters who don't need second servings. We were able to save on cooking gas back then and never had to buy rice regularly. These days, though, we can only do that occasionally as I don't really enjoy being limited to meal options at the restaurant. Having a child also tilts the equation and forces me to be creative with food and to be more mindful of nutrition facts.

4. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I honestly think that eating at home is a like cheaper compared to eating out. Usually the food at restaurants are a bit more costly than the ones you prepare at home plus even if it is not, if you are driving there you sort of using gas which in terms will cost more money in the future.

5. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I have hear something like this first time. I always think that eating at home is obviously cheaper than any hotel. I don't think eating out can be cheaper in any way compare to home food. Also these days rates of hotels are increasing lot , plus those other charges. It is surely expensive one.

6. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think everything will depend on one thing: what will be on the menu?

For example... You can choose to eat at home, but do something fancy like lobster or shrimp, when you could save (time and money) going out to eat a pizza.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can't beat the cost of eating at home. Whatever the promo or discount, dining out is still expensive because the restaurant has an overhead to shoulder like the rental of the place and the labor force. The downside of eating at home is the labor required to prepare the food and the cleaning up.

8. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I feel they are both cheaper depending with your current situation. Eating at home is cheaper if you having everything established. That is, source of heat, enough groceries, electricity, enough utensils and members who can cook.

Dining out will be cheaper if you do not have this things in your home. If you calculate the cost of buying a gas, maintaining it and shopping for utensils and then compare it with dining out, you will find that eating out a cheap restaurant to be cheaper.

9. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Dining out will always be more expensive than eating at home, no wonder a lot of people opt to cook. As for me, I don't know how to cook, so I buy food or subsist on canned goods.

10. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the type and amount of food and number of people. Obviously for a large number like a family of 6, eating at home is much cheaper. But for one or two people, I think it's better to eat out. If you calculate the time and energy required as well as the costs of electricity, gas, food items, it may work cheaper to eat out for just one or two people.

11. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I would only dine out when I am traveling. Otherwise, I prefer to cook my own food at home. Cooking my own food is cheaper compared to eating in a restaurant. I can then eat the food in a relaxed manner and even go to my bed to rest after eating. Another advantage of eating at home is the fact that I can use my favorite crockery that I like for instance, my best plates.

12. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what you're eating, but I would say that in most cases it's cheaper to eat at home than in a restaurant. When you're eating at a restaurant, in addition to the price of food itself you're also paying for food preparation which obviously wouldn't be the case if you were preparing the same meal yourself, at home. I definitely prefer to cook my own meals to save money, even if they are perhaps not as tasty as I would get in a restaurant.

13. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    There are possibilities that eating outside is cheaper than eating at home. Back here in our place, we often eat outside after attending our Church Sunday services and the foods are cheaper. But most of the restos or eateries are selling a high prices of their foods. But at least there is a cheaper eating joints or restaurants and the foods are good, nutritious and well prepared.

14. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I have developed that attitude of always eating at home and that doesn't include having to eat out as I wish. The joy of cooking what I eat alone is as important as anything to me and that's the reason I always cook at home since I find it to be cheaper as well.

I can prepare a pot of soup with as little as $5 and make it of the soup for two days or so which is quite cheaper when compared to using same amount of money to eat out.

15. Joanncali

JoanncaliNew Member

Threads:
    Eating at home is cheaper because you can cook and choose wisely for the ingredients. Dining out is expensive because of the ambiance of the restaurant, cost of the chef cook and restaurant staffs that cost more. Eating at home is cheap and convenient because you can try to save whatever leftovers than in the restaurant. It's okay to go dine out once in a while like holidays or special gatherings. You can save more by spending wisely for food.

16. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    Eating out includes more fun for those who are not keen of doing cooking all the day. But for the persons who love to spend time in cooking can enjoy at home too. I do prefer to eat out somewhere because i don't like cooking the effort i have to cook is more then costly then money. But if we talk about price yes of course eating at home is much cheaper then dinning out.

17. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    Eating at home is much cheaper of course but we also should try eating out with family and friends are quite fun. Both are having their own advantages.

18. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    I agreed with you.

19. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I am glad that you agree to my comment.