Discounted Or Free Software For Students And Academics

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by jayres • May 12, 2015.

1. jayres

jayresNew Member

Threads:
    OnTheHub is a brilliant resource for checking whether or not your are entitled to a discount or free access to software by being a part of an academic institution. Simply look up your institution and you can see what software you are eligable for. This website works globally.

As an example, I have free access to Windows 8.1 and can purchase Microsoft Office 2013 for £12.50 (~$17.50). The offers are institution-specific, but most offer Microsoft products at a heavily discounted price.

If you are a student or academic it is well worth having a look before purchasing any software elsewhere. You many be able to get a copy for much less that the retail price.

2. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Wow, that's an incredible resource. Thanks for sharing this jayres. Many people have trouble paying for these expensive pieces of software, even I did in the past. But, a significant chunk qualify for these discounts thanks to the school they are in enrolled in, or their workplace. I took advantage of these discounts at least twice in the past. Even better is that it's not limited to a specific country. I'll refer my friends to this site for sure.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The actual Microsoft Store offers a 10% discount to students for many computers, tablets, and software. Even most campus bookstores can get students discounts on technology or other purchases. All a student has to do is ask, and programs for student discounts are widely available through most large companies, which is always nice.

4. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Education has been a very big burden on young shoulders. They can neither work full time nor pay their fees with measly part-time jobs. It would be helpful if students may get discounted software and if corporates can actually extend free editions to college libraries.