Discussing Shopping Cart Contents At Grocery Store

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Diane Lane • Apr 19, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How do you feel when another shopper or the cashier asks about something in your shopping cart? I don't mean rude comments about how you should eat healthier or anything like that, but when someone has a genuine question about the item, such as how to use it, where it's located in the store, price, etc. Does that bother you, or are you happy to engage with them?

2. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I guess it's like what you said in that discussion about the cashier - it kind of depends on my mood. If someone sees a food in my cart and says something like "How do you prepare that? I want to buy it, but I don't know what to do with it," I don't mind that. Sometimes there's a thin line between rude and nosey though, lol.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It doesn't bother me. Sometimes people will ask me what the product is like and it's good to share or someone will make a comment and say 'They're good value,' and we exchange our views.

We all look in the carts of others and I sometimes find bargains I wouldn't have known about. I saw someone stock up on potato wedges once and so I went to look, and they were on special at 59p a bag.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind when people ask me questions about what I'm buying.
    I buy plants often but I don't have a car. So as a woman walking around with plants in my arms all the time, I get a lot of compliments and questions about the plants.
    Yesterday I was walking around with a wax begonia and a Chinese Evergreen with red leaves. I got a lot of questions about the red plant, which I happily answered.

5. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Ha! I know what you mean about that, ACSAPSA. I didn't have a car for years when I lived in the Boston area, and many conversations began by asking what someone was carrying/holding. I'd probably have stopped you and asked about the plants, too. Now I'm going to have to look the plants up. I haven't heard a wax begonia mentioned in years, my Mom used to have them. I'm not sure what a Chinese Evergreen looks like, but I hope it wasn't too heavy!

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I often ask how an item that I have not cooked is cooked when I see it in their cart. I don't mean to be rude and most people answer me pleasantly with no anger.

7. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    That doesn't happen to me very often but it doesn't bother me. I'm always happy to help someone expand their culinary horizons. The only ones that annoy me are the ones who are rude or ask what I need 'all that' for. As a couponer, my cart is usually not your typical cartful but it's not really anyone else's business why I 'need' 15 of an item.

8. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    If it's genuine interest in the product I'm buying, then I am fine with it. I recently bought a lot of bean pasta and the cashier was asking me about the taste, which is definitely a valid concern considering the price of most bean pastas. You don't want to spend more than you would for normal pasta and end up disappointed!

9. Diane Lane

Threads:
    @Dame6089@Dame6089 I've never heard of bean pasta, I wonder if they sell that at my local shops. I love how enlightening these forums can be. Now I'll have to look around and see what I can find on the subject.

Haha @professionaltightwad@professionaltightwad maybe they're wondering if there is going to be a future scarcity of the product, and they should stock up, too? I might ask that question simply out of curiosity, but not in a rude manner.

I had 5 jugs of cat litter and 30 lbs of kibble in my cart last time I was shopping, and an old man told me I need a motor on the cart. I laughed and told him I could certainly use one!

10. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I don’t mind it at all. It seems to happen most often around the holidays, when the specialty items come out and people don’t know where in the store to find them. But I’ve also been asked about some of the cosmetic products I buy and I am more than happy to discuss them, haha!

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm the same as LeopardJones. I really don't mind at all. But then, I'm a people person and love talking to and helping people. Maybe it's the Customer Service agent in me. I know some people would find it odd and even not like it, but it really doesn't bother me at all. I actually think people should do this more often. Society has become way too insular and everyone seems suspicious of the next person. Not that I blame them, sometimes.

12. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I actually received the bean pasta originally from an Asian food event that I attended. I looked for it in my local grocery store and couldn't find it. The only place I have been able to locate it that isn't online is Whole Foods. It depends where you live if you have a Whole Foods though.

13. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Looking over the other responses to this I'd add it depends on how much time I have. If I'm in a hurry I won't be able to give someone detailed info or instructions on how to prepare something. If I have the time though, it's no big deal since I like to talk about food.

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm usually okay with it when they're asking genuine questions and seem innocent enough.

I hate the nosey people who comment on half the stuff in my cart, though. I've had cashiers like that who feel the need to comment on prices or how the meat/produce looks or particular items I've picked out. It's really not a conversation point that I care to keep up with...

15. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    I had the funniest experience when I was shopping in the produce section. I am only able to go shopping once a week, because I don't drive and a volunteer takes me every Monday for groceries. I stock up and that means a LOT of fresh produce because I eat healthy.

A person who was working in the store, saw the contents in my cart that was loaded up with all kinds of fresh vegetables and fruits, and asked me "Bunny? Bunny?". I giggled and said "No, it's for me!" :)

16. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    Another experience I had when out grocery shopping -- because I don't drive and have a volunteer who takes me every week to the store -- I like to buy a sweet dessert for the volunteer. She generally tells me what she wants. My cart was full of healthy foods like a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits from the produce section. I buy in bulk for that week.

So, I'm in the aisle where they have cakes and pies and all kinds of frozen desserts. A lady who was also shopping came up to me when she saw me perusing all the delicious items. She points to my cart and says "Buying a treat? It's hard to eat all those healthy foods, eh?" I laughed and told her it wasn't for me, but for the person who drives me. She rolled her eyes in disbelief.

17. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I am happy and open to engage in them when they are curious about what my shopped items are because I think they are just intrigued and are asking questions legitimately with out any hidden agendas. The usual questions that come at me are what dish I am going to prepare because some of my ingredients are unusual like those from the international food and ingredients section. Sometimes I have Nori seaweed, Gochuchang paste, and these are uncommon and I just entertain their curiosity, intrigue and queries.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't mind since as people we should all learn to be more open and communicative with each other anyway and I find we're slowly losing more and more of that these days so I take the opportunity when I can. I'd say I would still answer gladly even when it's a product I'd be a little embarrassed about such as personal hygiene ones or even protection because I think ultimately it shouldn't be something that is embarrassing anyway and any shame I feel is my responsibility and not theirs.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really mind if someone will ask me questions about what's in my cart, unless their vibe is really nosy and they start to ask personal questions which as a stranger, would be too invasive, like what's my address or something.

20. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I too don't mind if someone is curious or has a question about my cart purchases. In fact I was buying an vegetable item that can be cut up. We have a small family so I don't need all that much for this particular vegetable that can be cut into pieces that I buy. A shopper behind me who loves the same vegetable asked me where did I get the little cut up piece of it, so I explained that if there isn't any cut pieces and she wants to buy one just ask the produce worker about it and they'd be happy to help her and cut her a piece of it. She was so happy because she too likes the vegetable and can't buy the whole big piece of it like me and wanted to get just a cut piece. I don't mind at all if someone asks me about the purchases I made. Another time the cashier couldn't believe the price I was paying for perfume-told her it just came in and I love the price too! :p